Help with housing benefit

Comments

• Hi, this seems like a complicated one and I'm really worried! I got housing benefit on the grounds of being a deaf student.

I told housing benefit about a bond that I had of £3k. That was used as 'income' when the decision was made. However when the bond matured, I was going through an awful time of my life, so I spent it in literally months of holidays, clothes, printer, etc. Not my proudest moment but I almost failed my degree to boot.

When I'd got back on track, I told them that the money was no longer available. They sent me a letter asking me where I spent the money.. I provided receipts for everything except about £700, alongside a letter explaining I was going through a hard time and showing the associated costs. A small plea begging them not to stop my benefit too.

My rent was never not paid.

The question that I have is: are they likely to stop my benefit due to extravagant spending? Or are they probably just going to act as though I still have £3k in a bond or £700 on my person? I'm so worried in case I lose my benefit, as it would leave me homeless and force me to quit my degree. The amount of money I get is the only part of my income that makes living in or near London do-able.

:(
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    FoxyNoxy wrote: »
    Hi, this seems like a complicated one and I'm really worried! I got housing benefit on the grounds of being a deaf student.

I told housing benefit about a bond that I had of £3k. That was used as 'income' when the decision was made. However when the bond matured, I was going through an awful time of my life, so I spent it in literally months of holidays, clothes, printer, etc. Not my proudest moment but I almost failed my degree to boot.

When I'd got back on track, I told them that the money was no longer available. They sent me a letter asking me where I spent the money.. I provided receipts for everything except about £700, alongside a letter explaining I was going through a hard time and showing the associated costs. A small plea begging them not to stop my benefit too.

My rent was never not paid.

The question that I have is: are they likely to stop my benefit due to extravagant spending? Or are they probably just going to act as though I still have £3k in a bond or £700 on my person? I'm so worried in case I lose my benefit, as it would leave me homeless and force me to quit my degree. The amount of money I get is the only part of my income that makes living in or near London do-able.

:(

Hi FoxyNoxy

Please find further information below:
    Yes, as a disabled student, you can get Housing Benefit as long as your income is below a certain level and you don't have more than £16,000 of savings. You can also get other financial help if you’re a disabled student. In England and Wales, you can get more information from the Directgov website at www.directgov.gov.uk in a number of different formats. For example, you can download films in British Sign Language about some disability benefits. In Scotland, see the website of the Student Awards Agency at www.saas.gov.uk.

If your Housing Benefit does not cover all of your rent and you need more help, you may be able to get some additional money from the local authority.

You therefore do not have more than £16,000 so this should not affect your HB unless there are other circumstances not listed here.

However please visit :
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm#if_you_are_a_student
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • lornao1
    lornao1 Posts: 38
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good evening
    I hope you could advise me, my husband and I have decided to spilt up, the property that we live in was bought solely by my husband. He has said that he is going to sell the house. We have 2 children aged 13 and 11. I was wondering basically where this leaves me and what my rights are ?

Thanks
    lornao1 wrote: »
    Good evening
    I hope you could advise me, my husband and I have decided to spilt up, the property that we live in was bought solely by my husband. He has said that he is going to sell the house. We have 2 children aged 13 and 11. I was wondering basically where this leaves me and what my rights are ?

Thanks

Dear Lornao1
    This forum is strictly only for housing benefit enquiries, but I interpret that you are seeking advice on all matters related to the ending of your marriage. The advice I give is based on assuming that you live in England -if that's wrong, please let me know.
    Firstly and probably most urgently - you need to take steps to secure your housing rights: I quote from our website www.adviceguide.org
    "If you and your partner are owner-occupiers, it's possible that only one of you is the actual owner of the property. If this is the case, the partner who is not the owner will need to protect their right to stay in the property and make sure the owner doesn't sell it without their knowledge. Even if you actually move out when the relationship ends, you may want to move back in again later.
    To protect your rights to stay in the property, you have to fill in a form and send it to either the District Land Registry or the Land Charges Department in Plymouth. In Northern Ireland, it's either the Land Registry or the Registry of Deeds. This depends on where the property is registered.
    This procedure is not complicated and it is not necessary to consult a solicitor. However, anyone who wants to protect their rights in this way should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau."

You can get initial answers on a number of questions you may have by consulting the website above, but you really should get more advice that is related to your exact situation, by -for example- visiting your local CAB
    Wrt Housing Benefit: if you move out into rented property and your income is low and your capital is under £16000 then you may well be able to get HB as help to pay the rent. This is administered by your local authority along with Council tax benefit. For some more detail, have a read at http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm

Hope this helps
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • Hi folks

Can I make a request that this thread is only used for people to ask a question and for the official CAB representative to reply.

It's great that so many want to try and help answer questions but we would like to keep the sticky threads as official as possible.

This doesn't apply to non sticky threads in the CAB board where any replies you are able to give are appreciated.

Thanks all
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    My neighbour is in receipt of LHA and entitled to 9 months' transitional protection. The same is due to expire in Sep 2012. My question is will his LHA entitlement revert to the 1 bedroom rate when he becomes 35, 4 months after that?
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    Mersey wrote: »
    My neighbour is in receipt of LHA and entitled to 9 months' transitional protection. The same is due to expire in Sep 2012. My question is will his LHA entitlement revert to the 1 bedroom rate when he becomes 35, 4 months after that?

Dear Mersey
    I am assuming that you live in England - if that isn't so then the advice I give may be different, so please let me know.
    I infer from what you have written that your neighbour is single and currently under 35. He/she has 9 months transitional protection and when this is up (you say in September) then he/she will only be entitled to the shared accommodation rate set by your local housing department.
    When he/she attains 35, then yes he/she would be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate on the assumption that he/she is single and that the accommodation is not shared (if it were then the shared rate would still apply). He/she needs to inform the housing department of the change when the age of 35 is achieved.
    Hope this helps
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Many thanks! That was what I was thinking. I told him it should happen aoutomatically, although knowing the Council, it wouldn't, so I said to email them the month before.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • I live with my wife and we recieve 205 pounds tax credits every 4 weeks, if i earn 14,900 this tax year and she doesnt earn anything will we qualify for housing benefit. We are 27+26 with one chold under 2
    I live with my wife and we recieve 205 pounds tax credits every 4 weeks, if i earn 14,900 this tax year and she doesnt earn anything will we qualify for housing benefit. We are 27+26 with one chold under 2

Dear Griffonshowl
    We would need more information from you to be able to calculate what you may be entitled to. From what you have written, I am making the following assumptions:
    You live in England
    Since you appear to only receive £205 per 4 weeks in tax credits, it seems that you do not get working tax credit and therefore you and your wife are working less than 24 hours per week. Also I take it that there is no entitlement to any disability benefits.
    You talk about Housing Benefit -this applies only to local authority or social housing - if you are in private rented accommodation you will need to apply for Local Housing Allowance which may be a different sum.
    I also have to assume that you do not have savings over £6000 - above this figure and any entitlement is reduced.
    Having said all that and if I have made correct assumptions about your circumstances, then yes, you should be entitled to both Housing Benefit and Council tax Benefit!
    The amount you may receive will reduce your housing bills but will not eliminate them. I have made a calculation based on what you have told me plus the assumptions above -also assuming that the £14900 pa you mention is BEFORE tax deductions. It looks like you could get around 50% of your rent paid and a small part of your council tax bill.
    For both benefits, you'll need to apply to your local authority.
    Hope this helps -if I've made any wrong assumptions then please let me know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure