Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    I lose an hour in the morning this time of year due to the bungalow next door. I think from memory, by Mid March it isn't an issue.

But on the 29th March you'll lose an hour again. It really bugs me that we have to wait till October to get that hour of generation back again. :doh:

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    But on the 29th March you'll lose an hour again. It really bugs me that we have to wait till October to get that hour of generation back again. :doh:

Mart.
    Eh?smiley-confused013.gif
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 1 March 2015 at 12:48AM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    But on the 29th March you'll lose an hour again. It really bugs me that we have to wait till October to get that hour of generation back again. Mart.

ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=%2fo%2fIuF9BlmgnesTYGv19ONOdSOEKUZVdyPFU71JCdBQ%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.freesmileys.org%2fsmileys%2fsmiley-level1_don019.gif HEE!!! HEE!!! HEE!!!

Don't blame me, blame Oscar!!!

Edwink ;)
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • countryman_2
    countryman_2 Posts: 421 Forumite
    Just a solitary O yesterday.

Todays looking nice thus far though :)
    4kw PV fitted 4th July 2014 (Green Energy NW £5600). WSW facing, 30 deg Pitch, Unshaded, Samil Solar River inverter, 16 Solar World Mono panels, Iboost on Immersion Heater. located in mid Lincolnshire.
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A few dreadful days in Feb but compensated with a few really good ones and a wadge of 'quite good' ones gave 165kWh for the month (6% over my pvgis forecast).

I need to earn £17.50 per month to cover lost interest so am quite happy with £82 - especially when I'm confident that next 8 months will all be better than that.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    JUst submitted my quarterly reading. 486 for the last 3 months on my 4kw system making me £82. Winter sucks!
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JimLad wrote: »
    JUst submitted my quarterly reading. 486 for the last 3 months on my 4kw system making me £82. Winter sucks!
    Yup, try being with SSE, still not asked me for a reading in 5 months and fast approaching £400 owing...Winter sucks even more this year!
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 March 2015 at 3:13PM
    [FONT=&quot]Over 12kWh in the bag already, although cloudy now from the west.
    Nice start to the month [/FONT][FONT=&quot]:T

February?

Aiming for 154, hit 169.327 kWh or 109% of target!
    27th being the best day, with a restated 15.026 or 3.76 ho's!

Major reason for the improvement in stats was a big change to my installation on 28/1/15, the retro fitting of 16 SolarEdge P300 optimisers and replacing the Schuco/SMA SunnyBoy 3300 inverter with a SolarEdge SE3500.

The granular view of the panels has given me the information I needed and confirmed my suspicions, the chimney was having a huge effect on my generation, counter to the installers view that no, the chimney would not affect the panels.
    This is my install, March last year (pic is from April):

[/FONT]2014_04_15_15_45_49_crop.jpg

[FONT=&quot]After the first full month of SolarEdge install, this is what the panels generated each:

[FONT=&quot]Month_4_days.png
    image url upload[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]You can see clearly that the panel nearest the chimney (1.0.5) is affected drastically.
    Prior to SE, this would have dragged the whole string down (the top row of 8 panels).
    But it's worse, looking at the picture of the roof above, you can see that in April the bottom string would also be affected - even lookng at February you can see that the bottom left panel (1.0.1) is under performing.

Multiply the effects over the course of the year and subsequent years...

I did write an awful lot more, which includes some rather alarming claims, some interesting revelations and some blatant lies but have saved that elsewhere for the time being.

All in all, I'm happy that I took the plunge and have solar pv.
    Hindsight changes everything, so I would probably not recommend my installer in future.

The one thing I wish I'd done? Come here first. Could have saved me a load of trouble!!!

Thanks for the ears, may your sun shine brightly.

In the mornings :rotfl:
    [/FONT]
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    theboylard wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Over 12kWh in the bag already, although cloudy now from the west.
    Nice start to the month [/FONT][FONT=&quot]:T

February?

Aiming for 154, hit 169.327 kWh or 109% of target!
    27th being the best day, with a restated 15.026 or 3.76 ho's!

Major reason for the improvement in stats was a big change to my installation on 28/1/15, the retro fitting of 16 SolarEdge P300 optimisers and replacing the Schuco/SMA SunnyBoy 3300 inverter with a SolarEdge SE3500.

The granular view of the panels has given me the information I needed and confirmed my suspicions, the chimney was having a huge effect on my generation, counter to the installers view that no, the chimney would not affect the panels.

[/FONT]

Thats the reason I went for SolarEdge optimisers. I am even effected by the TV arieal and the Fall pipe coming from the bathroom toilet that rises about 18 inches from the bottom of the roof. Having seen how shadows are cast at different times of the day it made more sense. The big one being next door that starts to cast a shadow when the sun moves west. Better only one or 2 panels effected that 2 strings. Yes they cost more but if you have any shading issues well worth the investment.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    theboylard wrote: »

Thanks for the ears, may your sun shine brightly.

SolarEdge rocks! Cue happy dance :j :j :j

Weather here was much better than expected today, then I switched on the dishwasher - no word of a lie, nor exaggeration but 5 mins later the sky went dark and rain came down so heavy it actually looked foggy out. Rain has now stopped but so has the dishwasher :(.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback