Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 20th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 467Posts
    • 2,358Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    This Duo's debt free journey
    • 20th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    This Duo's debt free journey 20th Sep 17 at 8:43 PM
    I had a previous thread but having problems locating it so thought I would start a fresh one. Brief intro, the duo is me and my little one, just over a year ago my debt was at a figure of around £12k, as of today it stands at £6124.40. This is made up of 2 loans (one car) and one credit card which is 0% until April 2019.

My aim is to save up over the next 6/8 months so that I can overpay 6 months worth on the loan with the shortest term, this will clear the loan completely as the last payment is December 18. Then I will tackle the second loan which is due to end April 19, I aim to clear this by around December 18 and then clear the 0% card last but well in time for the 0% ending.

I can't do much until January, I'm currently studying and therefore get my income 3 times per year which I use to overpay, I have just cleared £1500 which is all I can manage until my next payment. This includes a monthly saving to my Help to Buy ISA. I have around £4k in my ISA but I am reluctant to use this to clear my debts as I will earn more back on this then I will save in interest with the governments 25% bonus.

I have gone over all of my monthly bills and I am certain that I cannot make any further savings than I have made recently. I am currently listing as much on ebay as I can to give me a little extra money for treats that I haven't included in my budget up to December.

Will update my signature shortly but as it stands my debt free date is April 2019, I aim to bring this forward to Dec 2018 at the very latest.
Page 18
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 23rd Nov 17, 8:45 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 2,358 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    I think that's a really good idea Hairy, also paying by cash always feels so much more real if that makes any sense. I can put any left over in my sealed pot.
    LBM 20/9/17 5101.55/5690.50 = Loan: 1923.70/2207.38 Car Loan: 2166.87/2419.64 0% CC: 1010.98/1063.48 DFD Oct 18.
    SPC 586
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

4,362Users online

Martin's Twitter