Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 1st Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 147Thanks
    vicki2221
    No interest in my house
    • 1st Nov 17, 1:00 PM
    No interest in my house 1st Nov 17 at 1:00 PM
    Hello. We listed our house on 10th October and have so far had no interest in it. The marketing report from the agent says they have sent dozens of emails and texts about it. It has been clicked on over 150 times. I know a few weeks isn't long but houses in our area usually go fast, we live right by a fast trainline to London and it's a popular commuter area. I thought we would have at least had a few viewings by now. This is our first house and first experience of selling.

Is this is a very quiet time of year for buyers? I don't know if our house is the problem or if this time of year is bad for selling.

The agent hasn't been overly insightful - just said hold your nerve or drop the price. I would greatly appreciate any comments or thoughts on what we might be able to do to improve the situation! We really want to move, we've seen a house we love and we've just got married and would like to move on to our family home ASAP.

I can't post a link so please search TN4 9YB in Zoopla and it's the 1 bedroom house priced at 240k.
    Last edited by vicki2221; 01-11-2017 at 1:07 PM.
Page 15
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 17th Nov 17, 10:52 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    The man from yesterday is coming back tomorrow with his partner. He has spoken to the EA about putting an offer in. The EA is going to call the couple from the other day to tell them to get their skates on if they're still interested. Apparently the BTL lady is also still interested. EA talking about a bidding war. Husband now thinks the EA is really good, I very much disagree! This is all down to us all on this thread, not the EA
    • fromtheshires
    • By fromtheshires 17th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    fromtheshires
    Epic news. MSE to the rescue with great results!

I need to say it again about how you listened and then did what was suggested all in your stride and that is something a lot of people dont do when coming on here for help. Kudos to you and it has paid off with the collective help provided here. Just remember to stick around as you can then pass the kind on to someone in the future
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 17th Nov 17, 3:19 PM
    • 9,932 Posts
    • 7,998 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    No interest in my house

I think the thread title is very misleading now
    • Debtslayer
    • By Debtslayer 17th Nov 17, 7:50 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Debtslayer
    The man from yesterday is coming back tomorrow with his partner. He has spoken to the EA about putting an offer in. The EA is going to call the couple from the other day to tell them to get their skates on if they're still interested. Apparently the BTL lady is also still interested. EA talking about a bidding war. Husband now thinks the EA is really good, I very much disagree! This is all down to us all on this thread, not the EA
    Originally posted by vicki2221
    Wow that's brilliant news!! Fingers crossed you get offers very soon!
    Well done you for taking on board all the comments and making the changes.
    I'll keep an eye out for your next post
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036 Target MED: 2026
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £684.80
    MFW No 124
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 17th Nov 17, 7:55 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    I think this thread is a really good example of what a seller can achieve if, like Vicki has, they are open to advice an act on it. Could it be added to the sticky on important posts? How would we do that?
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 20th Nov 17, 10:17 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    Morning everyone. Something strange has happened. The couple who had their second viewing over the weekend have just put an offer in of 245k! 15k over asking price. Why would they do that?? I know the EAs had been telling them there was other interest and my husband said the viewer said "oh it sounds like it could go for 250k" so perhaps he put a high offer in to outbid other people he thinks are offering, although no one else has. It seems really weird. They are FTB, they drove over an hour each time to come and see it and apparently they have an AIP but EA hasn't seen it yet, he is trying to see it this morning. I feel like this is really odd.
    • Littlebobo1981
    • By Littlebobo1981 20th Nov 17, 10:20 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Littlebobo1981
    That's amazing, have to say you did wonders with your home, i hope to follow suit ..yes slightly odd but that is just how it is sometimes ..maybe the estate agents actually did their job ?
    • KiKi
    • By KiKi 20th Nov 17, 10:21 AM
    • 4,925 Posts
    • 7,999 Thanks
    KiKi
    Maybe they just really like it, have been hunting for so long for a property, have lost out on other properties - and don't want to lose this one as they think there's competition. After all, you dropped the price, so perhaps your original pricing was correct.

Either way - don't look a gift horse and all that...!
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
    • warby68
    • By warby68 20th Nov 17, 10:26 AM
    • 854 Posts
    • 8,965 Thanks
    warby68
    It is unusual but if they've lost out in a few bidding wars, getting in first might make sense and might be what they feel they have to do to secure something. You'd probably expect them to make it conditional on removal from the market. Its also possible that someone bids high to get you to accept then chips away on survey etc but not something I would infer on the offer alone. Have you met them? Did they seem OK?

Just take your time. Let the agent ( if they can be trusted) check that its genuine and that they can proceed.

Who knows, there might be others offers today as well, in which case they might be doing exactly the right thing.

It sort of happened to us. We last sold not long after the crash. Agents very cautious on price but within a week we had multiple offers and went to best and final with an offer nearly 10% over asking. We just had the right property in the right place so lots of interest despite the crash (and adverse Stamp Duty thresholds at the time). The agent freely admitted to calling it wrong.

So pleased for you
    Last edited by warby68; 20-11-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 20th Nov 17, 11:42 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    . Have you met them? Did they seem OK?

So pleased for you
    Originally posted by warby68
    Thank you!

I didn't meet them, but husband did and said they were very nice. They are from south London so maybe this seemed like a bargain to them. And I wouldn't be surprised if they had been through some bidding wars. I was expecting a call to say 220, you could have knocked me down with a feather when I heard.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 20th Nov 17, 11:55 AM
    • 3,808 Posts
    • 7,701 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    Well, try and get them to commit as quickly as you can, even if that's an emotional attachment, or an attachment to the survey or solicitor fees.

Don't be downhearted or despondent if they "wise up" and either reduce or withdraw their offer. Others will come!
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 20th Nov 17, 12:27 PM
    • 9,802 Posts
    • 12,423 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Huge congrats Vicki
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Debtslayer
    • By Debtslayer 20th Nov 17, 2:00 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Debtslayer
    That's fantastic news!! Congrats
    Current Mortgage 01.10.17 £113,513.88
    MFW Start Mortgage: £114,794.64
    Current MED: 2036 Target MED: 2026
    Overpayment Target for remainder of 2017: £2,000
    Mortgage overpayment savings: £684.80
    MFW No 124
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 20th Nov 17, 3:38 PM
    • 3,102 Posts
    • 4,298 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Thank you!

I didn't meet them, but husband did and said they were very nice. They are from south London so maybe this seemed like a bargain to them. And I wouldn't be surprised if they had been through some bidding wars. I was expecting a call to say 220, you could have knocked me down with a feather when I heard.
    It just shows that if you offer a property at what you think is a low price it will still find its level. That level could be higher than the asking price.
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 21st Nov 17, 12:29 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Thank you!

I think maybe you've just been feeling a little negative based on the initial comments and feeling in the thread - you were talking about lowering the price massively - and comments from certain posters about all houses being too expensive etc are not much help!!!

Knowing the area I still think your price is right, if they are in London at the moment they probably work there and the station being 10 mins' walk will be a huge draw. No doubt they'll be starting moving toward settling down, getting foot on the ladder and then aiming to move on at some stage to a bigger house for family and such...
    • Typhoon2000
    • By Typhoon2000 21st Nov 17, 12:33 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Typhoon2000
    I think maybe you've just been feeling a little negative based on the initial comments and feeling in the thread - you were talking about lowering the price massively - and comments from certain posters about all houses being too expensive etc are not much help!!!
    )
    Originally posted by SuboJvR
    Congrats Vicki
    And dont worry about Crashy, hes like a broken record - reducing price is his default position about everything. But as you can see, presentation and buyers first impressions can make a big big difference .
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 21st Nov 17, 12:37 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 1,157 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    Morning everyone. Something strange has happened. The couple who had their second viewing over the weekend have just put an offer in of 245k! 15k over asking price. Why would they do that??
    Possibly the location is ideal for them, proximity to family, work etc. For the perfect location we'd be prepared to pay over the odds too.

Congratulations on the sale anyway.
    • LadyL2013
    • By LadyL2013 21st Nov 17, 12:37 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    LadyL2013
    This is great news! Maybe they just love it. Market is very tough on FTB due to competition from BTL so maybe they wanted to give themselves best shot.

How lively would it be to sell to FTB so they can start their lives there just like you and your husband
    • vicki2221
    • By vicki2221 21st Nov 17, 1:06 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    vicki2221
    Originally posted by SuboJvR
    You're right, I did feel negative a couple of weeks back. Much better now though. Although now very nervous about it falling through.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

4,362Users online

Martin's Twitter