Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 11th Nov 17, 1:06 PM
    • 1,420Posts
    • 726Thanks
    slopemaster
    Chance of acceptance for Barclaycard Travel Card
    • 11th Nov 17, 1:06 PM
    Chance of acceptance for Barclaycard Travel Card 11th Nov 17 at 1:06 PM
    Is this a particularly difficult card to get?
    As the MSE eligibility calculator only gives me a 10 to 60% chance of acceptance for this, although it gives 90% plus for all the others.

I already have Halifax Clarity Mastercard (and mbna Amex) which work well. But, I am planning a trip to Madagascar and apparently they only take VISA.

The Brclaycard seems to be the only Visa with no fees abroad.

I wonder if there's anything I could tweak on the application without actually fibbing?
    I'm retired, do they not like that?
    I have a decent income, never had any defaults or missed payments etc.
    6 years at current address, homeowner, no debts.
    available credit may be a little high compared to income, though I always pay off in full each month.

Any ideas please before I apply?

Otherwise I will end up having to pay 3% load plus transaction fees on my Lloyds Visa debit card!
Page 1
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 11th Nov 17, 1:44 PM
    • 10,725 Posts
    • 7,012 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 11th Nov 17, 1:44 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 1:44 PM
    One application won't make much difference so give it a try.

Ther are other options, nationwide select maybe?
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 11th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    slopemaster
    • 11th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 2:36 PM
    So, I decided to apply

"we will be in touch within the next 5 working days with our decision"

bit frustrating, as it said "decision within one minute" but I'll just have to wait and see
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 11th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    slopemaster
    • 11th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 2:44 PM
    Thanks for the pointer to Nationwide Select (no load or fee for spending, but 3% for cash)
    However, it means opening a current account with them, and I'm on a mission to reduce complexity at the moment...

I'll see what Barclaycard say first, anyway.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 11th Nov 17, 5:52 PM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 11th Nov 17, 5:52 PM
    • 11th Nov 17, 5:52 PM
    Aren't MBNA changing their Amex cards to Visa anyway?
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 12th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    slopemaster
    • 12th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    • 12th Nov 17, 9:39 PM
    I had,t heard about that, but a quick look shows me it seems to be only their cashback Amex cards, and

"MBNA hasn't announced any changes to its other Amex credit cards, ..."

Would be good if they did though, there's very few places accept Amex
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 12th Nov 17, 10:01 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    newuser86
    • 12th Nov 17, 10:01 PM
    • 12th Nov 17, 10:01 PM
    Lloyds avios card gives both Amex and Visa card. Downside is £24 fee, but 0% for 29 months and 0% foreign transaction fee
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 12th Nov 17, 11:02 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 12th Nov 17, 11:02 PM
    • 12th Nov 17, 11:02 PM
    So, I decided to apply

"we will be in touch within the next 5 working days with our decision"

bit frustrating, as it said "decision within one minute" but I'll just have to wait and see
    Originally posted by slopemaster
    Applications can be split three ways - instant acceptance, referred (a human will look at your application) and instant decline.

You might well still get the card, fingers crossed for you.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £200.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 13th Nov 17, 5:58 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    slopemaster
    • 13th Nov 17, 5:58 PM
    • 13th Nov 17, 5:58 PM
    Lloyds avios card gives both Amex and Visa card. Downside is £24 fee, but 0% for 29 months and 0% foreign transaction fee
    Originally posted by newuser86
    Yes, I actually used to have those in their previous incarnation but gave it up as it seemed too complex and I couldn't be bothered trying to collect miles/points that never seem to be worth anything in the end, and then paying a fee too!

Thanks for the thought, but Plan B is now Nationwide - I've actually had that account in the past too, but closed it when the 1 year at 5% came to an end.

I seem to have tried most things, but I've never ever had a Barclays account or a Barclaycard as I suppose I still associate it with apartheid.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 14th Nov 17, 12:37 PM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Have you tried Creation?
    http://www.creation.co.uk/credit-cards/creation-everyday-credit-card
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 14th Nov 17, 3:22 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    slopemaster
    Thanks but its Mastercard; I want Visa
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 14th Nov 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Thanks but its Mastercard; I want Visa
    Sorry, I didn't see that.

What about Saga? Theirs is a Visa. I'm assuming you are over 50 if you are retired.
    https://www.saga.co.uk/money/credit-card
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • slopemaster
    • By slopemaster 14th Nov 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    slopemaster
    Hooray
    My new Barclaycard is on its way, with a decent credit limit, so I dont have to worry that there might be something nasty lurking in my credit file.

Thanks all for pointers and good wishes
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 14th Nov 17, 7:10 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,717 Thanks
    Kim_13
    My new Barclaycard is on its way, with a decent credit limit, so I dont have to worry that there might be something nasty lurking in my credit file.

Thanks all for pointers and good wishes
    You're welcome, thanks for keeping us updated.

Enjoy your trip and new Barclaycard
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £200.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

4,362Users online

Martin's Twitter