pushing half driveshaft out

Has anyone ever had a very tough driveshaft to push out of the hub ?

I used air happer, hub puller with 15kg sledge hammer, heat, wd40, penetrating gas and it didn't budge
i put it on my 12 ton press to remove it and because it had an awkward shape,it was very hard to support it on base . although I used some metal support to hold the hub straight, part of the trailing arm was helping with supporting the arm

it ended up not budging and the metal on the arm broke.

I had to buy a new one but amazed even a 12 ton press couldn't push it out

Comments

• You're supposed to undo the nut first..... :eek::D
  • lol, that is first step
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    You're supposed to undo the nut first..... :eek::D

Which end of the spanner is the nut on...:beer:
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Too late to give advice, I suppose, but l've had considerable success with the double hammer method for releasing taper joints etc. Get some static tension on the joint using a jack or similar and then simultaneously hit both sides of the joint with two hammers. Ideally the two hammers should be of equal size but that isn't 't that important. Most recently I used this method to release a cast aluminium centre plate (lift keel) which had dropped down into its fibreglass casing. I used a car trolley jack and a sturdy wooden lever to give about 6 to 1 advantage to pull the plate upwards and just one hammer to vibrate the casing. The yottie spectators were gob smacked.
  • how does that work on cv joint ?
    The other side is the shaft so you can't use hammer on it
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I can't remember one being as tight as described in the OP, but some things just seem to be much, much harder to remove than they should be.
    I've got a medium size fly press that's quite good as it gives things a "bump" but setting things up in it is tricky, and not always possible.
  • Muscle750
    Muscle750 Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    You aint found anything tight until you try and pull injectors from a Vivaro head ive even heard stories of cracking the head in trying to do so basically the recess fills with water if the drain holes are blocked in the scuttle. 20 ton press will not move them sometimes
  • I know feel better breaking the trailing arm as think I wasn't an idiot. it was really tough
  • So is it out now? All the shafts I've done have just tapped out with a mallet.
  • No it broke the arm and still in so had to buy a new trailing arm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport