Moved Home - Garage Electrics Issue

2»

Comments

• Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    benten69 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with removing the RCD as a TEMPORARY measure.
    Yes there is. Whilst temporarily removed could be when an earth fault (or worse a person connected to the mains) occurs. Safety devices should not be removed - even temporarily.

All socket outlets rated less than 32A require additional protection of a 30mA RCD.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2016 at 10:52PM
    Risteard wrote: »
    Yes there is. Whilst temporarily removed could be when an earth fault (or worse a person connected to the mains) occurs. Safety devices should not be removed - even temporarily.

All socket outlets rated less than 32A require additional protection of a 30mA RCD.

Yes, and while it is removed I could win the lottery. Doesn't mean it will happen! :rotfl: Also, when you say "or worse, person connected to the mains" it just highlights you don't fully understand how an RCD operates.
  • Risteard
    Yes, and while it is removed I could win the lottery. Doesn't mean it will happen! :rotfl: Also, when you say "or worse, person connected to the mains" it just highlights you don't fully understand how an RCD operates.
    I understand exactly how an RCD operates. It provides earth fault protection. A 30mA RCD provided for additional protection is there for protection of life. If a person is connected to the mains then they will present a return path for the current through the general mass of earth back to the star point of the transformer.

So don't make a fool of yourself. I am a Principal Duty Holder, Qualified Supervisor and Qualified Certifier for an electrical contractor and also a JIB Graded Approved Electrician and a Technician Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology. I understand how RCDs work.

The presumption that it is unlikely that a fault or dangerous occurence will occur whilst a device is removed does not make it acceptable to remove a safety device. Such a cavalier attitude is unacceptable and if you were a worker doing this then you could find yourself answerable under the Electricity at Work Regulations as a duty holder.
    ECA Registered Member
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    So don't make a fool of yourself. I am a Principal Duty Holder, Qualified Supervisor and Qualified Certifier for an electrical contractor and also a JIB Graded Approved Electrician and a Technician Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology. I understand how RCDs work.
    And I could write that in any of my posts.

I choose not to.
  • benten69
    edited 19 October 2016 at 10:31AM

Good for you being a mere electrician :rotfl:....I'm a fully qualified Electrical Engineer BEng (Hons) working towards my chartership and a full member of the IET, not just a "Technician Member" with experience in development, design, test, comissioning & modification of topsides electrical equipment for the offshore Oil & Gas sector.
    Such a cavalier attitude is unacceptable and if you were a worker doing this then you could find yourself answerable under the Electricity at Work Regulations as a duty holder.

Good thing I'm not a "worker" and you & your "workers" would be the ones working to my designs & asking me questions, as they do 99% of the time when they don't understand basic things.

So you're the one who shouldn't make a fool of himself....

Anyway, none of this bickering & game of "top trumps" is helping the OP.

1 thing we do agree on is that if they are asking for basic advice like this, they should get someone else in to do the work.
  • Risteard
    Good for you being a mere electrician :rotfl:....I'm a fully qualified Electrical Engineer BEng (Hons) working towards my chartership and a full member of the IET
    As you and I both know, that doesn't necessarily mean that you have any experience of electrical installation work whatsoever.
    benten69 wrote:
    1 thing we do agree on is that if they are asking for basic advice like this, they should get someone else in to do the work.
    Absolutely. Your first sensible comment yet.
    ECA Registered Member
  • benten69
    As you and I both know, that doesn't necessarily mean that you have any experience of electrical installation work whatsoever.

Fact is though, I do have experience during the test & commissioning stages of projects.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure