PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Spiralisers.
    I review for Amazon and have had lots sent for review. The manual spiralisers that hold food horizontally are very awkward to use - much better are those that are vertical as gravity helps you.
    I haven't had an electrical one to try as yet. I tend not to use them so much at this time of year, but come the spring we'll be back with carrot ribbons.

For bog-standard grating and slicing that isn't enough for the food processor I use a 1962 ex Army married quarters box Nutbrown grater. It's been with me for 40 years now. I've had a mandoline and various other slicey-dicey things to try. The most useful a Zyliss pull - action chopper (like starting a lawnmower) which I use to finely chop onions without ending up in tears.
    Thank you - I've a decent box grater and both a large & mini processor so chopping/grating in larger quantities is pretty much covered :) Did away with mandolin after the guard slipped and I nearly lost two fingers :( too scared to use it after that.......
    I just like the convenience of having less steam/smell - and you turn a knob and can leave it and it pings.... no watching for boiling over, or water levels ... or worrying about opening a window, or wafting smells out.

:)

It works for me for small quantities.... steam one carrot ... no waiting for water to boil, no watching ... no feeling "well, this is overkill for one carrot". Simple, small, turn a knob, ping. Done and away :)
    I don't cook much in the microwave but have found it a godsend for veg now I'm on my own absolutely fab for small quantities :)

Morning everyone,
    Following on from previous converdations I'm taking the prawns out of the freezer to make a sarnie later :) depending on how [STRIKE]greedy[/STRIKE] hungry I am there might be enough for tomorrow as well ;) Also going to make dhal later was considering the peach & chickpea curry but have decided I want the more savoury tastes of the dhal. Made stock last night for lentil and bacon soup so I'll not be short on fibre this week. My friend is coming for lunch on Thurday and that's her favourite soup so thought I'd please her and it makes an easy meal:D

I take I'm only person that likes a burger in a brioche bun, I don't have a particularly sweet tooth but do like that combo especially with a cheese topped burger, I'm not keen on ketchup (mustard mayo for me please) so reduces the overall sweet bite. Has to be well toasted though:D
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Microwave steaming all the way for me. I became a convert when a friend gave me a Birds eye pack of four. I loved them but was gobsmacked at the price, £2 for four little bags, I don't think so. Theres nothing special
    about the bags so I just make up my own using ziplock bags. I recently discovered a Taste Not Waste shop near me and can get veg really cheap now, i.e. carrots and parsnips 20p kg and go to Asda for YS on a Sunday.Result bags of veg in freezer that have only cost pennies.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    caronc wrote: »
    Thank you - I've a decent box grater and both a large & mini processor so chopping/grating in larger quantities is pretty much covered :) Did away with mandolin after the guard slipped and I nearly lost two fingers :( too scared to use it after that.......

I don't cook much in the microwave but have found it a godsend for veg now I'm on my own absolutely fab for small quantities :)

Morning everyone,
    Following on from previous converdations I'm taking the prawns out of the freezer to make a sarnie later :) depending on how [STRIKE]greedy[/STRIKE] hungry I am there might be enough for tomorrow as well ;) Also going to make dhal later was considering the peach & chickpea curry but have decided I want the more savoury tastes of the dhal. Made stock last night for lentil and bacon soup so I'll not be short on fibre this week. My friend is coming for lunch on Thurday and that's her favourite soup so thought I'd please her and it makes an easy meal:D

I take I'm only person that likes a burger in a brioche bun, I don't have a particularly sweet tooth but do like that combo especially with a cheese topped burger, I'm not keen on ketchup (mustard mayo for me please) so reduces the overall sweet bite. Has to be well toasted though:D

Those mandolin thingys are bloody lethal binned mine after only one use as guard slipped and almost took the top of finger off.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    meg72 wrote: »
    Microwave steaming all the way for me. I became a convert when a friend gave me a Birds eye pack of four. I loved them but was gobsmacked at the price, £2 for four little bags, I don't think so. Theres nothing special
    about the bags so I just make up my own using ziplock bags. I recently discovered a Taste Not Waste shop near me and can get veg really cheap now, i.e. carrots and parsnips 20p kg and go to Asda for YS on a Sunday.Result bags of veg in freezer that have only cost pennies.
    Pyrex jug covered in cling film here never thought prepping and using a ziplock that's a great price for veg :)
  • caronc
    Well my prawn marie rose roll really hit the spot:) though once defrosted there was just enough prawns for one sandwich so of course I've dressing LO;) I had a seeded deli type roll and added some romaine lettuce. It looked and tasted great so might replenish the prawns the next time they are on offer, I'll boil an egg later and have an egg marie rose roll tomorrow.....:)
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 February 2017 at 2:17PM
    Well my prawn marie rose roll really hit the spot:) though once defrosted there was just enough prawns for one sandwich so of course I've dressing LO;) I had a seeded deli type roll and added some romaine lettuce. It looked and tasted great so might replenish the prawns the next time they are on offer, I'll boil an egg later and have an egg marie rose roll tomorrow.....:)

Caronc can we have your marie rose dressing recipe please? I have a huge bag of prawns in the freezer and would like to use them for more than spicy stir fries.

I had egg and ham salad for lunch today with plain ole lite mayo. Should have spiced it up but it was pretty good by the time I ate it, was so hungry...:o
  • caronc
    katkin wrote: »
    Caronc can we have your marie rose dressing recipe please? I have a huge bag of prawns in the freezer and would like to use them for more than spicy stir fries.

I had egg and ham salad for lunch today with plain ole lite mayo. Should have spiced it up but it was pretty good by the time I ate it, was so hungry...:o
    Of course quantities are flexible so taste and tweak I used: 2 good tablespoons mayo, 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup, a good splosh of lemon juice (2tsp?), couple of dashes of Lea & Perrins, few drops of tabasco and black pepper. If I'm making a bigger batch I also add a capful of brandy:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I bought a bag of 8 baking spuds, so still had 4 left this morning - the four largest really.

So it was another spud, beans, cheese today.

3 spuds left now... two quite large and one a bit small that'll probably end up as mash.
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Of course quantities are flexible so taste and tweak I used: 2 good tablespoons mayo, 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup, a good splosh of lemon juice (2tsp?), couple of dashes of Lea & Perrins, few drops of tabasco and black pepper. If I'm making a bigger batch I also add a capful of brandy:)

Thanks caronc that sounds delish, a bit different from other mixes I've used re the lee & perrins.

PasturesNew you've got me fancying a baked tattie now, will have a rumble in my bag and pre-prep one for my packed lunch tomorrow with prawn Marie rose aka caronc :D and my usual salad.

Cheers ladies :cool:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 February 2017 at 4:19PM
    Willowx wrote: »
    With regards to prunes and custard it used to be a treat at my Grandma's, I'm a big custard fan. It used to be either prunes or syrup suet sponge, was equally happy with either which may be a little odd! Not had prunes for many years will try to remember to take a look next time I'm shopping.

My Nan's was same, loved the suet puds. And the prunes were great for " Tinker Tailor" etc round the rim of the plate, plus for us boys, the rudeness of either spitting the stones out or sort of rudely ejecting them between our lips

Spiralisers, I had one, manual, sort of like a vegetable lathe, fell into the CBA category and I recently gave it to my DD who is big time vegetarian so maybe will use it

Tonight meal, not sure again, it has gone from LO roast chick which still hanging around like bad smell, despite having some in sarnies yesterday, or could be LO beans on toast, or maybe combine the lot, chicken, beans & oven chips again

It will be quick and easy though as is really a CBA day today, just had cheese salad roll lunchtime, just bog standard bap, not brioche

PS - Password borrowing, could be worse than sex offender, how about ISIS recruit? The boys in blue kicking your door down would seem lightweight compared to real heavy mob with guns
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure