PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Deeds. Where do you keep them and how much does this cost?

Comments

• Essenchill
    Essenchill Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    runmartin wrote: »
    No, as you have just completed recently then the deeds have been electronically copied by the Land Registry therfore making them useless.

see post 5 of
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=449325&highlight=deeds

Final question then, I think:

The Land Registry has an electronic copy. I currently have a hard copy of this electronic copy. If I was required to produce a copy of the current deeds, but could not find my hard copy I would need to pay a fee to get a copy wouldn't I? If I was required to produce a HIP, I would require a copy and end up paying a fee for this (if I didn't have my hard copy already)?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,935 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Essenchill wrote: »
    Final question then, I think:

The Land Registry has an electronic copy. I currently have a hard copy of this electronic copy. If I was required to produce a copy of the current deeds, but could not find my hard copy I would need to pay a fee to get a copy wouldn't I? If I was required to produce a HIP, I would require a copy and end up paying a fee for this (if I didn't have my hard copy already)?

Yes, you would have to pay £3 to download them from the Land Registry website.

We all say that the deeds are with Land Reg but I found an old building regs certificate amongst my deeds from the BS. In the process of moving my buyer's solicitor did ask for it.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • I recently received a wedge of old deeds and stuff about my house when I remortgaged to the C & G.

I spoke to my solicitor and he said some of the planning documents would be needed when I decide to sell. I've kept everything in my house just filed maybe I should invest in a fire proof safe?

It's a shame banks are decluttering these documents some of mine are over 150 years old.
    :confused:Be brave, even if your not. people can't tell the difference.:confused:

Don't worry about not having enough money. Limited funds encourages creative thinking on a grand scale.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    We too have kept our documents going all the way back to the 1850s although when the Staffordshire sent them to us they said they were no longer required and it was up to us whether we kept them or not.

They ars SO interseting and in all that time our house has only had six owners! (we've had it since 1976).

Seems as though people who live in it love it and don't want to leave!

We live in Spain at the moment and our son lives in it .
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • CB1979_2
    CB1979_2 Posts: 1,335 Forumite
    under the mattress, safe as then :)
  • sortofok
    sortofok Posts: 515 Forumite
    CB1979 wrote: »
    under the mattress, safe as then :)

So where do you put your money then CB?

Or do you not need cash my friend

;)
    Whenthemusicstopsmakesureyou'renotleftstanding
  • CB1979_2
    CB1979_2 Posts: 1,335 Forumite
    i don't need cash, my house is made of gold, I trade in harvest produce & livestock.

the going rate for example is:
    1 sack of potatoes, 1 sheep & 1 pig for the latest Nike Trainers.

IF (and it very rarely happens) i do need to purchase items with money, due to me having a particularly bad harvest or Spurs_nut not doing a good job at impregnating the sheep, I will then take a brick from my chimney and sell it to the tinkers for the devil's paper!
  • sortofok
    sortofok Posts: 515 Forumite
    is it a big house my friend?

You know.............

.......................with a lot of bricks? ;)
    Whenthemusicstopsmakesureyou'renotleftstanding
  • My mortgage is coming to an end in september do I have to pay for my deeds which are held with santander
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    silvercar wrote: »
    Yes, you would have to pay £3 to download them from the Land Registry website.

The copies you can download from the Land Reg for £3 are just brief summaries not the full deeds, aren't they?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure