Wash your uniform at home ?

Comments

• Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I would also be interested to know if self-employed people can claim for this. My partner is a ceramic tiler and I have to wash his clothes every day on a boil wash-often twice, just to get the grout out!

Also, does anyone know if he can claim back for the fact he uses his own car to get to work, or not because he is SE?
  • TaBunny
    TaBunny Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Help please; my partner would like to claim but we don't know how to find out the address to send the letter, in the yellow pages its an 0845 number which is a recorded message saying that you must contact your local office which is about as helpful as a bandaid on an amputee. Any ideas please? My partner's work is based in Dartford Kent thanks.
    :p
  • Some readers are getting carried away with how much cash this relief is worth. For most people an allowance of £45 is worth £45 x 22% =£9.90 per year in cash terms so you will not be buying many colour tvs even with 6 yrs worth due
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Yes thats right Mike you dont get £45 you get tax releif on £45 worth about a tenner a year but when backdated its worth it for a stamp and a letter :)
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am a development chef. For customer presentations I have a chefs jacket to wear provided from work. We have normal overalls for every day work which go through our laundry facilities. My chefs jacket doesnt as presume it would get lost. Do you this could apply for me

I do at least one presentation a week and I have to wash and iron the jacket at home
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    TaBunny wrote:
    Help please; my partner would like to claim but we don't know how to find out the address to send the letter, in the yellow pages its an 0845 number which is a recorded message saying that you must contact your local office which is about as helpful as a bandaid on an amputee. Any ideas please? My partner's work is based in Dartford Kent thanks.

if you look on your hubbys latest p60 at the top there should be which tax office deals with his company. then have a look here for their address.

HTH
  • jinks_2
    jinks_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    does anybody know if this applies to the military?
    There usually laundry facilities provided but we always have to pay for them.
    stay lucky!
    Steve.
  • Salsero
    Salsero Posts: 2 Newbie
    I am pretty sure it is your employers duty to provide safety shoes according to the law. Maybe other moneysavers know about this.
    If safety shoes are required for your job, your employer must pay for them. Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999
  • julio_2
    julio_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    my wife wears a works uniform and washes it home, as do her staff. She'll try it and if it works we'll spread the word to the staff. This could mean as many as 100 staff being that much better off. What a great post - many thanks :j

(posted by Julios guardian!)
  • Big_Penny
    Big_Penny Posts: 17 Forumite
    (New Poster)
    What if I have worked somewhere for 21 years,but they only supplied us with a logoed uni.in the last 5 years?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback