Disabled Child - how do I get a social worker

Not sure if this is the right place to post but thought it would be a good place to start. In a nutshell my son is now 15, registered disabled and functioning at possibly about an 8 year old level. Struggles with many things and yet we can't seem to access any support for him. I have heard about direct payments (I know this is changing) but when I tried last year to access any help was told that our family did not meet the criteria. I have M E myself and am struggling to cope with the worry of all the things we need to do to help him become independent. It would be super if we could get some sort of support (preferably nearer his age) to help integrate him into life and support his independent life skills learning. It is too big a task for us and I don't think its healthy for us to be his only support. Any suggestions? Many thanks.
I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!

Comments

• I would go to your GP and ask him/her to refer you to your local child disability services. Alternatively, if you're impatient like me, you could phone social services and explain your situation.

You will need to be strong with these people to make sure you get what you and your family need.

I don't know much about direct payments but from what you've said you should be able to get some support for your son.
  • Witch_Hazel
    Witch_Hazel Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    You could ask your doctor or the school to refer him or equally just do it yourself. Phone your local social work dept.
  • There are also charities often locally based that can help with referals as well or at least help you access the help.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    have you requested an assessment from your assessment direct team ? the info is on the councils website i would ring rather than email as my emails went unanswered.
    when i rang they arranged for someone to come out and discuss the issues, he was very good and got the situation/issues easily. we then had to wait a week but we now have a named social worker and are currently waiting for contact from a family support team to see if they can offer any help.
  • mysterywoman10
    mysterywoman10 Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Hi AlwaysHappy

Sorry to hear you are having problems accessing support for your son and family.

Can I ask a couple of questions, so I can try and give you a bit more specific advice as you mention he is registered disabled?

Is your son in a special school or mainstream school, does he have an Educational Statement?

Does he receive DLA middle or higher rate care? (I'm asking this because it can be used in eligibility criteria for services) it is tending to happen more now even in children's services.

It's unusal in my experience for GP's these days to get involved in these things. All LA's have different set-ups when it comes to children. Some like ours have contracted out services to Disabled Children for Social Work which is now part of Education services as well. Previously NCH ran the Social Work Team for Children with Disabilities in our area.

Phoning the initial assessment team as suggested above is a good one but it will depend on the LA on how it then gets dealt with.

Even children who are already in the system with disabiliies and receiving services face problems getting hold of their Social Workers and many are agency staff so no continuity. Not wanting to put you off but the more information you can give it might be easier to help.

The other thing that was mentioned above was charities, in our area there are some quite active groups of parents who are involved in supporting each other and get involved in planning services or try to! Do you know of any groups like this or other parents with a child with disabilities that you access?
    The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed.
  • AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi AlwaysHappy

Sorry to hear you are having problems accessing support for your son and family.

Can I ask a couple of questions, so I can try and give you a bit more specific advice as you mention he is registered disabled?

Is your son in a special school or mainstream school, does he have an Educational Statement?

Does he receive DLA middle or higher rate care? (I'm asking this because it can be used in eligibility criteria for services) it is tending to happen more now even in children's services.

It's unusal in my experience for GP's these days to get involved in these things. All LA's have different set-ups when it comes to children. Some like ours have contracted out services to Disabled Children for Social Work which is now part of Education services as well. Previously NCH ran the Social Work Team for Children with Disabilities in our area.

Phoning the initial assessment team as suggested above is a good one but it will depend on the LA on how it then gets dealt with.

Even children who are already in the system with disabiliies and receiving services face problems getting hold of their Social Workers and many are agency staff so no continuity. Not wanting to put you off but the more information you can give it might be easier to help.

The other thing that was mentioned above was charities, in our area there are some quite active groups of parents who are involved in supporting each other and get involved in planning services or try to! Do you know of any groups like this or other parents with a child with disabilities that you access?
    Thanks for all the replies. My son is 15, has a statement, is in a school for learning difficulties. His diagnosis is aspergers and learning delay (oh and mild cerebal palsy for good measure) - he probably functions as an 8 year old.
    I had an assessment about 2 years ago for support over the phone - I hadn't realised it was an assessment!!! and didn't meet the grade.
    I am getting more and more concerned that he doesn't get any support - has no friends or social support (he does go to youth clubs and disability football) but only his dad and i for support - dad often away with work and I have M E so its a struggle, though we are capable parents, happily married and rational, he isn't at risk from us and so we must struggle and juggle..........
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • Lisa_b_3
    Lisa_b_3 Posts: 16 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2013 at 4:06PM
    Hi there, you need to ring social services and tell them that you want an assessment for him and for yourself as a carer. Tell them you are desperate and that your needs are critical. They will only give you help if you tell them how bad it is and how hard it is to cope and the situation is so bad that the family will suffer and face hardship without support due to all these cuts (threshold has changed!.) it sounds like you really do need help though so make sure they know your needs have changed in the last few years. The assessment is about all that you do and what would happen if you didn't. If you need any advise I have some expertise so inbox me! Good luck
  • SEE
    SEE Posts: 722 Forumite
    Lisa_b wrote: »
    Hi there, you need to ring social services and tell them that you want an assessment for him and for yourself as a carer. Tell them you are desperate and that your needs are critical. They will only give you help if you tell them how bad it is and how hard it is to cope and the situation is so bad that the family will suffer and face hardship without support due to all these cuts (threshold has changed!.) it sounds like you really do need help though so make sure they know your needs have changed in the last few years. The assessment is about all that you do and what would happen if you didn't. If you need any advise I have some expertise so inbox me! Good luck
    Will you also tell her that her son will be sectioned if she asks for help? Far too many people are unaware of just how evil and lazy social services are. Once they get their claws into the disabled and conveniently find them to have no capacity they pull them into a system that milks them dry and leaves them to rot.
    http://community.autism.org.uk/discussions/health-wellbeing/parents-carers/urgent-case-stephen-neary
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Halifax, taking the Xtra since 1853:rolleyes:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • mysterywoman10
    mysterywoman10 Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Thanks for all the replies. My son is 15, has a statement, is in a school for learning difficulties. His diagnosis is aspergers and learning delay (oh and mild cerebal palsy for good measure) - he probably functions as an 8 year old.
    I had an assessment about 2 years ago for support over the phone - I hadn't realised it was an assessment!!! and didn't meet the grade.
    I am getting more and more concerned that he doesn't get any support - has no friends or social support (he does go to youth clubs and disability football) but only his dad and i for support - dad often away with work and I have M E so its a struggle, though we are capable parents, happily married and rational, he isn't at risk from us and so we must struggle and juggle..........

Thanks for the reply AH. Firstly they should be starting transition if he is in a special school and statemented (in theory this starts in year 9!) I would ask to speak to the Headteacher and see if they can give you some support as well, ask about what is happening about his transition as I explained above Education is now supposed to be linked in with all of this with Social Services.

Do they have a group of mums at the school that meet? Always good to get in touch with other mums as I suggested. The mums in our area have a F/B page and it is very vibrant supported by a grant from the lottery (not the f/b page the group).

Yes ask for another assessment of need and not over the phone also ask for a carer's assessment for yourself and your husband and get the school to support you. The Social Worker should also be at Annual Review do you know when that next is especially now when he is above year 9?

Both the school and social services together should be helping you to plan for the future. And if they don't and you are still struggling to get some services then write a complaint letter.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need anymore help and feel free to pm me as well if you want to. Really hope you get some more help soon in planning for his future. x
    The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,424
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    SEE wrote: »
    Will you also tell her that her son will be sectioned if she asks for help? Far too many people are unaware of just how evil and lazy social services are. Once they get their claws into the disabled and conveniently find them to have no capacity they pull them into a system that milks them dry and leaves them to rot.
    http://community.autism.org.uk/discussions/health-wellbeing/parents-carers/urgent-case-stephen-neary

Stop scaremongering and get a grip. This case is 3 years old and since then the Mental Capacity act and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards have come into force. Uneccessarily putting the wind up people who need help is really not a helpful response.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure