PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The OS Doorstep - a helpful and supportive thread in these tough times

Comments

• Bigjenny
    Bigjenny Posts: 601
    First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    edited 21 June 2013 at 5:30PM
    "When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us" Alexander Graham Bell
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    bunbun2 wrote: »
    fairyprincess the pancakes sound lovely. that's good news about your neighbour.

tattycath i was thinking the same thing just today - i have lots of acquaintances but no friends. I had a really good friend (or so i thought - maybe she wasn't!) who moved away. I always seemed to be the one who kept in touch, remembered her boys' birthdays, etc. he has MS which I understand is hard but a phone call or email would have been nice. eventually I gave up which is a shame especially as she is my ds2's godmother. She even defriended me on facebook:( I had another friend who I met via MsE and she also defriended me on facebook and dumped me as friend. Oh dear that doesn't make me sound very good does it. I am a nice person...honestly.

I'm sure you are a lovely person.
    I have friends from where I grew up but I hardly ever see them as they live so far away etc. I occasionally speak to them on the phone but I often feel I am the one making all the effort-apart from one friend who has been to see me since I moved.
    With the kids not needing to be taken to school etc anymore there doesn't seem to be a social opportunity to meet people.
    It would be nice to just meet up for coffee with a friend occasionally though.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • Nymphadora
    Nymphadora Posts: 469
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello everyone

Hope you don't mind me joining in.

I am a long time lurker who has decided to join MSE to help me get sorted.

I am married with 2 kids. Currently living in rented accommodation due to moving to a new area and wanted to wait till we were sure this is where we wanted to live before buying again.

I gave up work a year ago as I couldn't cope with my fibro and working and keeping the house. So we have dipped into our savings a bit and need to top them back up if we are going to buy a house.

My Grandmother (who sadly passed away 2 years ago) was very much a make do and mend kinda gal:) she was a fantastic baker who taught me everything she knew and I even if I do say so myself I am very good at it. What she never was able to teach me was sewing and knitting. When she passed her handwritten receipe book, sewing and knitting kit came to me. I also have her 60year old sewing machine that I haven't attempted to use in the 2 years I have had it.

So I really want to get into the oldstyle type of life in part to keep the memory of my Granny alive and also to help us save money.

The good news is I have got a new job :j:j:j very part time (2 days) and not stressful.

So I hope I can join you all to seek/give advice and support when I can.
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    I had another friend who I met via MsE

My friends are here and my new ones in Real Life were made via MSE. I talk to people and doing so often get a good response back, its a two way thing and rarely does it backfire.
    am a nice person...honestly.
    emo35.gif

I'm old enough to remember coal being delivered, rent men, insurance men calling for a weekly payment, delievery vans bringing meat and fruit and veg etc...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :) Glad your neighbour seems to be OK FPK. Some people have unconventional habits.

A few days ago somebody was pounding on my door wanting to know when Mr X next door was going to be back? I mean, what am I, his mother?! Anyway, I always used to know him only by his first name so didn't recognise his surname but SuperGran did.

His caller will have a long wait, Mr X was evicted months ago. I suspect he owes people money, it's often the reason when people aren't to be found where they're expected to be.

Ooh, hello and welcome Nymphadora. Glad to have you aboard.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Yay. new thread!

And a lot of nice new friends to play with!

Are we going to name the three biddies in the picture?:rotfl:

Now got six strawberry plants hanging on a pole... la la la la la!

On a freecycle roll - just been offered a couple of barrows of well rotted compost from the local bowls club, and Sunday we pick up a old fridge from across the county to use as an overflow - I never seem to have enough space in the three we already have :o. To be fair, a lot of our stuff has to be kept chilled (even though most stuff would be fine) because they are for the business, so not all me!

We will need to borrow Mr Next Door's car and Mr Over-The-Roads trailer so taking Mr &Mrs Next-Door for a Chinese lunch before we collect. We will also pop into two very nice farm shops, at one in particular I am hoping to be able to raid their plastic mushroom tray mountain - they are so useful for pots in the garden.

Have a lovely evening everyone!
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
  • tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Does anyone use a yoghurt maker pls? I've just bought one today and am in the process of making some yoghurt-thoughts as opinions welcome.
    TIA
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    I'd give it a go but as the local SM seems to reduce yogurt every week and I am single that seems the easy option. Me eating yogurt:):eek:

I should be in the sunshine but am resting listening to easy music on the radio...and thinking of foodemo60.gifstill have approx 300 calories to play with...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    Hello and welcome to Sweet Pea Cottage, newly emerged on the end of the last thread. So pleased that you have a lottie now and so close - mine is 1.25 miles away. Just a teeny tiny bit envious of that. And how lovely to have rescued a pooch as well. What flavour is s/he?

We have talking lurchers on here (well typing lurchers, terrible spelling tho) and other dogs have been known to contribute as well.

She is a Podengo (rescued from Portugal) crossbreed. Eats anything (very OS) and likes to sleep a lot:T
  • Mrs_Chip
    Mrs_Chip Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    tattycath wrote: »
    Does anyone use a yoghurt maker pls? I've just bought one today and am in the process of making some yoghurt-thoughts as opinions welcome.
    TIA

I have one - the round flat type with little pots, I love it, HM yoghurt is lovely!
    Think big thoughts but relish small pleasures
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport