Can anyone recommend a best buy Funeral Plan?

Options
I'm looking into setting up a funeral plan on behalf of my elderly parents. (By that I mean I'm looking for a good one for them to open.)

Can anyone recommed a best buy plan, or point me in the right direction to check these plans out please?

Someone must have looked into this on here I hope, but can't find much about it or any recommendations, of a plan or where to look.....Help pls :confused:
Bless Martin's Little Cotton Socks. I thank him for giving us MSE. Look what its grown into!

MFW = ASAP #124

Comments

• katieowl_2
    katieowl_2 Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Options
    I just did one of these for my friend who has gone into care home - I don't know if it is a 'good' plan, but the undertaker was local to us and it seemed OK! They own Chappels undertakers who have lots of branches around here. We paid for it out right, but they did have other options.

http://www.dignityfunerals.co.uk/dignity/

Regards

Kate
  • jenniferpa
    jenniferpa Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    My Mother arranged hers through Age Concern. They then assign you to a participating undertaker in your area. Again, I have no idea whether it's any good or not - I'm happy to say we haven't used it yet.

Jennifer
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    The current cost of a funeral in West Yorkshire is c £1400 for chapel of rest, hearse, one car, docs fees, ministers fees, cremation. I would guess any funeral plan that offers the above at a lesser price would be a good buy, but factor in what inflation might be over the next few years - the cash in a good savings account might be better. Age Concern push pre-paid funeral plans as one of their core products, but I have no idea how competitive they are.
    Kate, which part of the country are you in and how much did you pay and for what?
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can only offer a few words of caution.

My friend's parents took out one of these when they were a relatively new inception. When his father died, they looked at the plan and found that they had little choice of the type of coffin, could only use an undertaker from those on the list and there would be no facilities available for family and friends to view the deceased. The nearest undertaker to them on the list was miles away.

In the end, they made a fuss and got the money back and arranged a funeral of their choice for the same amount of money but much better service.

If I was going to do this, I would recommend you use an local firm's own policy, not one of the more widespread ones and make sure you know what choices you are paying for.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Have a look at https://www.green-burial.co.uk

They offer 'Golden Charter Funeral Plans' which fix all their charges at today's prices.

It's also possible to 'buy' the funeral plot in advance.

Depends what kind of a funeral your parents think they would like of course. AFAIK any decent funeral director e.g. the Co-op, will have details of pre-paying plans.

We decided on the 'green burial' but we're not paying for it beforehand. We were offered the chance to buy our burial plot at £500 each, but we're not paying for that ahead of time either.

Best wishes

Aunty Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • katieowl_2
    Options
    Dora we are in South East London, the basic plan cost about £2,100.

We opted for basic, the casket they provide which was "Mahogany", Hearse for coffin, parlour staff to attend crematorium, all other parties to make own way. My friend says it's about £500 dearer than her DH's funeral at the same place 6 yrs ago - so we thought it was probably about right.

It sounds like a lot, but she has no family, and for me it was essential for my peace of mind as I am taking care of her financial affairs. I would have been in a dreadful state if anything happened to her and i couldn't sort funeral out. A bit of a morbid subject, but far better to be prepared IMHO.

Regards

Kate

Kate
  • Emm_Pet
    Options
    When my parents died within a month of each other six years ago, I went to the local Co Op Funeral Directors, and arranged and paid for, my own funeral.
    A greyhound is for life - not just for racing
  • Dora_the_Explorer_5
    Options
    Thanks Kate, the price difference is interesting isn't it - unless it was a burial not cremation. Personally, social services can put me out with the bin - I won't be around to care !
  • lin473
    lin473 Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    Did you know you can buy a funeral plan with your clubcard points ??!!! :eek:
    Might take a few years to accumilate enough points though!
  • katieowl_2
    Options
    No Dora, that price is for cremation. Burial costs are extra and not included in the plan!

Regards

Kate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family