tech-centre.eu

Comments

• Gumby_2
    Gumby_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I've been similarly conned - Paid by PayPoint (Ukash) and received no goods. Not sure how to report them. Anyone got any ideas?
  • I have registered on this site today in response to this thread.

I have paid for a camera from the website that failed to be delivered within the time the company communicated by email and through their 'check order' facilty.

When contacted through their 'contact us' page I got a reply stating that the item had been broken by the delivery company (DHL - so I assume unlikely) and when they had resolved this another item would be sent out.
    Unfortunately DHL require a delivery number before items can be traced and this was never communicated by tech-centre - presumably because the item was never sent in the first place.

I have since replied to the email several times to no response.

An address search of the London address brings up several companies registered on various floors of that building but not this specific company.

I also paid through Paypoint and would like to try and get the money back, but am not sure how to go about this - any suggestions or shared experiences appreciated.
  • I believe there is a major con going on here, worth hundreds of thousands if not millions of pounds. After all, their products are still expensive items (even though they offer unbelievable bargains). If just one thousand people have been caught out (very possible), we're talking big figures. I had a look at reporting fraudulent scams on the met police website and I recommend anybody who has been caught out do the same. I live outside London so it states I should visit my local station (which I will in the next couple of days - and let everybody know how I got on). There is also Consumer Direct, where you can report a scam, and call for advice. Finally I notice PayPoint have some kind of fraud protection, but I've not had a chance to read through it. I'll be very annoyed if it turns out we won't be entitled to compensation. I also cant understand how UKash can so easily absolve themselves of responsibility. Surely their vouchers would have to be paid into an account that they had legitimized, otherwise their voucher numbers would be rejected. What is the point of complex voucher numbers if they can be so easily bypassed by fraudulent hackers?

If anybody else has any other suggestions please post. It's difficult getting the time to investigate options for pursuing this so if anybody with previous experience can offer advice it would be most appreciated. Let's not let them get away with it.
  • Looks like I've been conned as well. Very similar experience - got a link from Google (so assumed that it wasn't dodgy), and went ahead with the PayPoint system. 3 weeks later, goods hadn't arrived as promised, but they replied to my mail and said that the problem was with the delivery company and so it would take a bit longer. Now they aren't answering emails or phone calls.
  • I tried to 'report a scam' through consumer direct website today but the website was crashing every time I tried to submit.
    Will try again tomorrow and let you know.

When I try the phone number I get a fax type sound (same for fax numbers).
    Also, when I tried to trace the phone number the following information comes up, which obviously doesnt tie into any if the addresses on the website:

Enter telephone number: +1 267 867 8031

Number billable as: geographic number
    Country or destination: United States
    City or exchange location: Dublin, PA
    Original network provider*: Telcove Of Eastern Pennsylvania - Pa
    * Number portability has not been taken into account

I plan to follow met police website advice and contact my local police station over the next few days, again will post any information I obtain.

It looks like most people have placed orders at the start of June (myself 6th June), so not entirely sure how long the website has actually been 'up and running'.....
  • summerboy_2
    summerboy_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 July 2010 at 6:04AM
    Hello everyone. I've just registered with this site in order to make this post. I was instrumental in getting a scam company called mydv.co.uk closed down by the Massachusetts Attorney's office as they were scamming people in the UK and they tried to rip me off by converting my sterling payment into dollars, with a hefty conversion fee. I complained like mad and was lucky to get them to cancel my order and refund all fees. I was so incensed at this scam that I set up mydv-ripoff.co.uk and, as said, played a big part in getting this company closed down (owned by Americans in Massachusetts). But it took a huge amount of work, including dealing with hundreds of emails to my site by people similarly caught out by the company.

I want to pass on a few words of advice I learnt from this experience.

Firstly, to say that you should NEVER, NEVER buy online by any method other than a credit card (or other form of payment) which you KNOW FOR SURE will refund your money if you don't receive your goods.

Also, NEVER, EVER pay by Western Union (or similar), as this is the payment method of choice for scammers – there is no recourse for refunds, the money order you sanction is as good as cash and Western Union give you NO protection whatsoever. I don't want to make this sound like a promotion thing, but I have always been 100% protected by Barclaycard VISA, both for dodgy deals online and having my identity stolen twice. Barclaycard refunded all money taken from my account, they provide an excellent, courteous service, I now don't use any card other than this one.

I'm sorry for those of you who have lost money, but as I'm sure you already know, you made an error of judgment by giving this company your money.

I'm presently looking to buy a high-end mobile phone cheaper than in the UK but will only do so if I can pay with my VISA card. I will NEVER use Western Union or similar payment methods. I think you will be wasting your time contacting UK police or trying to find the people behind tech-center.eu, sorry to say.

I've found elitesavings.co.uk which again is a slick website, and says all the right things. My fake website radar though is activated. Scammers use co.uk domains now, in order to hoodwink buyers into thinking the site is in the UK and therefore protected by the Distance Selling Regulations. If I do buy from elitesavings, I will only do so with my Barclaycard, so that in the event I don't receive my goods, or if this company charges more than I specify in my confirmation message to them when ordering, Barclaycard will cover that loss.

I always check a website I'm thinking of buying from in the WHOIS registry to see what country it's registered in, although site owners can have their personal details witheld, so you may not get any useful information from the WHOIS databse,. If outside the UK, then you have NO online buying protection. This protection is automatic if buying from a genuine UK company, and enshrined in the Distance Selling Regulations (info on DSR on the Office of Fair Trading's site: oft.gov.uk).

Sorry to be the bearer of uninspiring words for those caught out.

Summerboy
  • alandenman
    alandenman Posts: 151 Forumite
    Possibly the same people are elitesavings.co.uk

Amazing how the google shopping bot often seems a scammers dream.
    If so someone will flick the off switch then their booty gets past the £1,000,000 mark.
    Does anyone care?
    Seemingly not if it means work for PC plod etc
  • Dev1ANT
    Dev1ANT Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 November 2010 at 5:33PM
    I was just on a site with the same "shop356.com" subdomain and the same fake address and phone number details on the "about us" page. Unfortunately I've placed an order for a Canon DSLR on there, but I haven't paid for the order yet, I found this thread just in time it seems! :shocked:

I opted for the PayPoint/Ukash payment option, so the site must be waiting for me to enter a 19-digit Ukash code for the order amount of >£300 (dream on!). Do you guys think it's worth me emailing them to cancel the order, or doing anything else to cut off contact from these scammers? T.I.A.!

Edit: For reference, this site was called "Digital Buzz", and had "digitalbuzz.net" as its logo but "digitalbuzz.shop356.com" in the address bar. So steer clear!
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Have been looking for cameras and found a site on google shopping with great prices. uk.digitalbuzz.net.tf after looking who they where i found this forum so i registered to WARN WARN WARN !!!.
    All the addresses are the same as other didgy sites mentioned, I nearly got done but had the sense to check them out.
    They now offer payment by visa & mastercard along with paypoint, ukash etc.

so please pass this site around uk.digitalbuzz.net.tf & on google shopping its tekcenter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure