PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter

Options

Comments

• Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't use fabric conditioner either, but I do have a bottle of the stuff lurking under the sink, so I might give that a try.

Re Iggie....I'm wondering if you could use a car battery to run a heat lamp off.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm wondering if putting bubble-wrap up below my (plastic) conservatory roof would make any difference. The conservatory is very cold through most of the year, and if it even gave us a few extra weeks when it was usable, it would be worth it, I think. I know there would still be a lot of heat-loss through the glass walls, but maybe a layer of bubble-wrap under the roof might help? Does anyone have any thoughts on it?

You can get kits of bubble wrap to do this to greenhouses, so there are presumably clips or sticky things availible. Either that or...do you have fittings to add blinds or such? Even a thin blind made of lightweight polycotton or muslin would trap an insulating layer of air against the glass.
    Val.
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mooloo wrote: »
    I can say the same. My son is terrible with computers, music centres, exboxes, lava lamp. phone chargers, DVD.... need I go on??:eek:

I've got one like that, too. And lava lamps!! - he has THREE in his room along with an assortment of fibre optics etc. He could rival Blackpool when he fires them up at night.
    Thinking of leaving his radiator off in winter as he generate enough heat with all that stuff going. :rolleyes:
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've forgotten who asked about insulating draughty windows but this is how I used to do it. I had wooden window frames so I screwed in a couple of sturdy cup hooks at the top corners of the frame. I then found a big rectangle of thick fabric (I used thick cotton, but you could use an old duvet cover or fleece, just nothing too heavy) a few inches bigger than the frame all round and made a casing at the top. I threaded through a length of dowelling and at night I would just fit this into the cup hooks. Bit of a faff but it worked really well because there were two layers of insulating air trapped...between the blind and the window, and between the blind and the curtains. You can also do the same with muslin or chiffon during the summer.

Of course you could do it properly and fit up a second curtain rail and put up a second pair of thin curtains against the glass. This works especially well when your main cutains sit a bit away from the frames.
    Val.
  • kingshir
    kingshir Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    Someone PM'd me for my coffee wine recipe and I've stupidly cleared the message BEFORE taking a note of the name:o I think it was Pooky, well I hope it was as I've sent a PM to you! If I've got it wrong would the proper person contact me again - honestly I'm so rubbish!!:D

Still on the wine theme though, a work friend has given me a huge bucket of damsons, so will be making damson wine and damson gin this weekend ( might even make some jam if I can spare a bit of fruit;)).
  • missychrissy
    missychrissy Posts: 741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 August 2009 at 10:33AM
    Options
    kingshir wrote: »
    Someone PM'd me for my coffee wine recipe and I've stupidly cleared the message BEFORE taking a note of the name:o I think it was Pooky, well I hope it was as I've sent a PM to you! If I've got it wrong would the proper person contact me again - honestly I'm so rubbish!!:D

Still on the wine theme t, a work friend has given me a huge bucket of damsons, so will be making damson wine and damson gin this weekend ( might even make some jam if I can spare a bit of fruit;)).
    I've just set off 5 galls of plum wine from 21 lbs of plums a work colleague gave me. Why don't you join us on the Homebrewland thread. I'm finding it a bit sluggish over there and some additional input would be welcome.
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    angelite wrote: »
    Hi Janine, I have the same problem with my son and the xbox.

Was just on ebay and they have those snuggle blankets with the sleeves starting from about £10. I had done a search for blankets x

i reckon one could easily create their own snuggle blanket by cutting a hole in the middle of a fleece blanket as janine mentioned then using a blanket stitch to sew loose 'arms' into the fleece, in fact if someone was industrious enough they could make a few more snips here and there and sew further to form a side of sorts and have something akin to a snuggly fleece blanket jumper...loose, cozy, easy!
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    i've been preparing for winter myself too over the last few weeks (still working on finding the new house to rent, though the deposit issue is now sorted :T)

ebay has been my friend recently which is just as well since the charity shops have become increasingly unreliable and expensive!

the wee one now has:

-autumn jacket with hood
    - heavy winters jacket (last years, still fits well, we buy big!)
    - late winter/early spring jacket
    - hooded plastic rain coat, this will fit over the autumn and spring jackets if needed
    - 5 pairs of leggings... she's inclined to run around in her pants or dressing gown at home because jeans aren't 'comfry' so she's quite pleased with the selection of both trendy AND comfy leggings!
    -thick socks
    -selection of cardigans, jumpers and long sleeved shirts

I now have:

-7 pairs of thick wooley socks
    -a new pair of cozy jog bottoms, the american style not those track suits i find rather distasteful and uncomfortable (not saying these are trendy either but they are comfy!) i will probably buy a few more pairs of these as i wear my 'cozy clothes' whilst at home to save wear and tear on my good clothes. these are nice and warm too mmm
    -last years winter jacket with hood, gave it a good airing
    -hello kitty single size fleece blanket, she doesn't know this yet though it's a birthday present ;)

the house has:

- a new 13.5 tog single duvet and a 5 or 6 tog double duvet (we now have 2 singles and 4 doubles)
    -2 new pillows, not necessarily a winter only thing but i find if you have a nice comfy pillow to rest your head on you're more willing to stay snuggled under the covers to stay warmer ;)
    -wind up torch/radio/phone charger
    -rose hip syrup for the flu and cold season
    -electric blanket
    -heavy curtains, two pairs
    -2 other fleece blankets, will probably turn these into snuggle blankets

what we need:

-matches! i was asked for matches to light candle on the wee one's aunties birthday cake and discovered i have none whatsoever (non smokers can you tell?!)
    -candles
    -cooling rack or old oven rack with supports (you can use a wire rack raised up a bit with a few tea lights under it as a way to boil water/cook if necessary
    -hats/scarves/gloves will wait and get these from the charity shops or possibly ebay
    -possibly coal/wood but i need to wait and see if the new place i move into has a woodstove or fireplace first, i've been researching area prices whilst waiting though
    -instant double glazing supplies, again this will have to wait til i'm moved into the new house
    -rain poncho to go over my winter jacket

we migth need other stuff yet but i really can't tell til we're moved. this state of limbo is frustrating for me as i'm truly a squirrel (actually squirrels seem to think so too they have a habit of following me around!) and i really am chomping at the bit to get everything in order as it's definitely starting to become autumnal here (i love autumn!)
  • fedupandskint
    fedupandskint Posts: 10,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You sound well prepared Confuzzled!

I love reading what everyone has done as it motivates me a bit more to get ready too!

There are only a few things left for me to do now.
    sort out a powercut box
    just bought a plastic box to put in the car boot and put some winter supplies in
    maybe one more blanket if I can find one cheap enough!
    Little bit of window work to do this weekend and replace to bubble wrap and check the front door duck tape seals too

Then when it gets colder I am buying some rock salt for the path.

Thinking of asking for some nice jumpers to wear with a skirt, thick tights and boots and also some comfy house ones to wear inside for my birthday.

All coats are ok and scarves - just need a new hat and thicker gloves. Will be back to check out Primark at the weekend to see what they have in!

When I took the dog for a walk this morning it reminded me of autumn, the slight chill in the air and the light. Autumn approaches, in a funny way I can't wait!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've decided to read the gas & electricity meters every Sunday night to log how much we've been using. That way, if it really leaps up, I can have a think about anything we've been doing differently and get onto it. Think doing this will also make us more conscious that there's a financial cost to having a snug warm house 24 hours a day and will encourage us to keep up with the extra layers, rugs, hotwater bottles, etc. Snuggley rugs all washed, aired & ready!
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure