How do i buy shares in Apple?

Options
I want to buy shares in Apple,the computer manufacturers.
Does anyone know how I can do this online from the UK?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    You use a "broker".

Its clever stuff this.
  • catwoman150
    catwoman150 Posts: 974 Forumite
    Options
    You can use a broker or some banks do share dealing. They will charge you a small fee though for the service. There is an article here : http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/cheap-online-sharedealing have a read of it.
    cross stitch cafe #90 UFO's 6 to finish in 2013, and loads of new kits to boot
    Refunded bank overdraft charges £915 :j
    SPC 2007-2008 #078 aim £500-£341.67
    SPC 2011-2012 #078 aim £500-£426.42
    SPC 2012-2013 #078aim £500 - TBC
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apple's a tricky one because in order to buy the shares in it that have been doing well in recent years, you'd have to a buy through a broker that deals with Nasdaq transactions, which aren't exactly hugely common here from what I've seen, at least not cheaply. Failing that, you could buy the ones that are listed on the London Stock Exchange (ACP.L rather than AAPL I believe), but these don't seem to be anywhere near as attractive to people as the main company shares (which I'm really regretting not getting hold of when my brother recommended them a year ago... Ah well!)
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • snapyou
    snapyou Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for that.
    I have noticed a few UK trading sites that deal with NASDAQ shares but not sure if i can specify that I want shares in a particular company,in this case Apple.

Anyone else have any ideas?
    Thanks again
  • Browntrout_2
    Options
    snapyou wrote: »
    I want to buy shares in Apple,the computer manufacturers.
    Does anyone know how I can do this online from the UK?
    Thanks in advance!

I hold Apple via the Unit Trust - AXA Framlington Global Technology Fund

Top ten holdings as at 30.06.07
    Apple Inc. 2.3%
    Hon Hai Precision Ind. Ltd. Gdr Reg S 2.3%
    NVIDIA Corp 2.2%
    Commscope Inc 2.0%
    Juniper Networks Inc. 2.0%
    Oracle Corp. 2.0%
    Cisco Systems Inc 1.9%
    Gameloft 1.9%
    GameStop Corp. Cl A 1.9%
    Microsoft Corp. 1.9%

http://documents.axa-im.com/Product_Reporting/B2B/B2B_en_pdf/axa_b2b_6280_en.pdf
    If it takes a man a week to walk to walk a fortnight how long does it take a fly with tackity boots on to walk through a barrel of treacle?
  • influence
    influence Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    You can trade with any broker that has dealing with US stock. Take note of the charges they impose. I think most sharedealing service by major banks offer US stock options. H&L also has that if I am not wrong.

Once you applied and get approved, you will not only able to invest in apple, but also in google, microsoft and many other companies in the US.

Lastly, my advice on any stock investment is that you do alot of own research before buying. Do not listen to speculation and jump into the wagon (very dangerous).

You should invest a company as though you plan to own it (as a business) rather than using this simply to gain short term profit.

Good Luck.

snapyou wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    I have noticed a few UK trading sites that deal with NASDAQ shares but not sure if i can specify that I want shares in a particular company,in this case Apple.

Anyone else have any ideas?
    Thanks again
  • someone
    someone Posts: 823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Note, the value of the shares could go up but you could still lose money because of the exchange rate
  • mroller
    mroller Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    you can spreadbet it instead.
    The bonus is that any gains will be tax free and you will not be exposed to the currency risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure