'Do you support Wednesday's strike?' poll

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 28 November 2011 at 1:50PM in MoneySaving polls
Poll started 22 November 2011, click here to vote

Do you support Wednesday's strike?

On Wednesday, 23 public sector unions will strike over changes to their pensions. This is likely to impact many areas including schools, some NHS operations and passport checks (more info in BBC Q&A).

Which of these is closest to your view (if you have more than one job/contract choose the one you spend most time on)

I work in the public sector

A. I fully support the strike
B. I support it as it's democratic - but I would've voted / did vote against it
C. I'm against the strike
D. I don't know enough about it to decide

I work in the private or charity sector

B. I support it as it's democratic - but I would've voted / did vote against it

I don't work / am unemployed/ am retired

B. I support it as it's democratic - but would've voted against it myself

Click reply to discuss

Comments

• daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hardly surprising that those in the private sector don't agree with the strike given that they'll be the ones paying the (protected and still really rather generous in comparison to what's available to most people) pensions of the people striking. I have every sympathy with the public sector workers whose pensions are being reduced, I know from experience what it's like to see your pension pot that you've worked hard for reduced to a shadow of the glory you thought you'd earned but, lets be fair, it's only what's been happening to the rest of the country for several years now.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • I think those in the public sector need to take a look at themselves and remember that it is the taxes of the private sector that pays them and their future pensions.

Have your day of action if you will but ultimately it will make no difference as there ain't enough money in the pot to pay for it.
  • Contrary to what you might read in the tabloid press, the majority of civil servants are low paid. A reasonable pension and job security went some way to compensate for that low pay. Any employee who decided to work for the public service for low pay but higher pension and job security is now the subject of a con-trick.

"Work for the public sector for low pay for 30 years and we'll give you job security and a decent pension". "Oh no we won't. We're going to sack hundreds of thousands of you, and cut pensions for the rest of you."

Poor people do not forego a day's pay lightly. They don't want to strike. They are being forced to by a cynical and unfeeling employer.

Are the top public servants such as politicians losing their generous final salary pensions arrangements? I think not.

The hypocrisy of the prime minister is breath-taking.

Sadly one day's strike will do very little. They need to strike indefinitely - show they're not to be fobbed off.
  • robin_banks
    robin_banks Posts: 15,778 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    BrianM1975 wrote: »
    I.Have your day of action if you will but ultimately it will make no difference as there ain't enough money in the pot to pay for it.

Which isn't actually the case.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

!!!!!! is all that about?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Results so far come as no surprise.
  • I'm normally against strikes but in this particular case I agree with those striking. Until such time as this Government (who I did actually vote for!) stop forking out more money than ANY other country in the world on foreign aid and put a stop to indiscriminate immigration which strains the resources of this country to their limit, I have every sympathy with people worried about their pensions. If the Government actually concentrated on this country for a change instead of getting involved in American wars etc. then there would be no need to increase the pension age for anyone. I have had it up to here with Cameron and Clegg and as a lifelong Tory voter, will be voting UKIP next time!!!
  • I have seen a lot of misinformed ideas spouted and it is really quite annoying.... people telling me that striking is wrong even though they don't know what they are talking about.

This link is useful to get the other side of the story: http://www.unison.org.uk/pensions/myths.asp
    A big believer in karma, you get what you give :A

If you find my posts useful, "pay it forward" and help someone else out, that's how places like MSE can be so successful.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    im unsure to be fair but i do think most should be happy they have a job unlike the millions unemployed
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • Contrary to what you might read in the tabloid press, the majority of civil servants are low paid. A reasonable pension and job security went some way to compensate for that low pay. Any employee who decided to work for the public service for low pay but higher pension and job security is now the subject of a con-trick.

"Work for the public sector for low pay for 30 years and we'll give you job security and a decent pension". "Oh no we won't. We're going to sack hundreds of thousands of you, and cut pensions for the rest of you."

Poor people do not forego a day's pay lightly. They don't want to strike. They are being forced to by a cynical and unfeeling employer.

Are the top public servants such as politicians losing their generous final salary pensions arrangements? I think not.

The hypocrisy of the prime minister is breath-taking.

Sadly one day's strike will do very little. They need to strike indefinitely - show they're not to be fobbed off.

Am I wrong, but I thought that there was no change to people who earned £15,000 or under? I realise that that is a very small amount of money (I get about £12,000 pa), but isn't this going to affect the higher paid (I don't mean 'highly' paid) than this?
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    I used to work in the public sector,the pay was pretty low so I got out and started working in the private sector and made provision for my pension which funnily enough has been changed for the worse a couple of times in the 25 years I have been tracking it. I understand the reason for the strike and if they want to go on strike and it's legal and democratic then there is no reason why they shouldn't but the results show that more people who have an opinion are against it. Sadly they will win no support from people in the real world where most of us reside.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport