ESA - Partner works 25 hours

This question may well have been answered and if so I am sorry.But I find the whole benefits system so confusing

I'm on Incapacity Benefit and will be moved to ESA.My partner works pt 25 hours a week, but this does not give us enough to live on.Will I still be entitled to ESA?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    If you are put in the Support Group, you will be entitled to CB ESA indefinitely so your partner's income will not affect your entitlement.

If you are put in the Work Related Activity Group, you will be entitled to CB ESA for one year only, and then you will be assessed for IB ESA. If your partner works 25 hours it is very unlikely that you will qualify at this time.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • stella65
    stella65 Posts: 22 Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »
    If you are put in the Support Group, you will be entitled to CB ESA indefinitely so your partner's income will not affect your entitlement.

If you are put in the Work Related Activity Group, you will be entitled to CB ESA for one year only, and then you will be assessed for IB ESA. If your partner works 25 hours it is very unlikely that you will qualify at this time.
    I have recently moved in with a friend (of the opposite sex). Been slated on here before for saying this - as nobody seems to believe that in 2011, peolple cannot live in a platonic relationship.

Anyway - I moved because I lived alone, and have been in ill health for a couple of years (well more than that, but the last two have been worse), and there were break ins where I lived, and my family and friends had moved away.

Since moving a few weeks ago, I feel better in my mind already. I feel safer, and the company and support is good.

The DWP and Jobcentre know of my arrangement, as I informed them. But I now have an interview at the Jobcentre - to ask me about my living arrangements. This is fine, as all is above board. My friend is self employed - so some weeks are busier than others. But due to climate change - business is quiet at the moment.

So, how would this work?

Also - I get confused over the income based and contribution based ESA.

Sorry for long story
  • dmg24
    stella65 wrote: »
    I have recently moved in with a friend (of the opposite sex). Been slated on here before for saying this - as nobody seems to believe that in 2011, peolple cannot live in a platonic relationship.

Anyway - I moved because I lived alone, and have been in ill health for a couple of years (well more than that, but the last two have been worse), and there were break ins where I lived, and my family and friends had moved away.

Since moving a few weeks ago, I feel better in my mind already. I feel safer, and the company and support is good.

The DWP and Jobcentre know of my arrangement, as I informed them. But I now have an interview at the Jobcentre - to ask me about my living arrangements. This is fine, as all is above board. My friend is self employed - so some weeks are busier than others. But due to climate change - business is quiet at the moment.

So, how would this work?

Also - I get confused over the income based and contribution based ESA.

Sorry for long story

If the DWP are satisfied that you are not a couple, your friend's income will not affect your claim. Therefore you would still qualify for IB ESA (assuming you do not have capital over the prescribed levels).
    Gone ... or have I?
  • depression
    depression Posts: 57 Forumite

Thanks so much for your reply.Sorry to be dense about this but what does CB mean?

I think your answer means if I am put in a support group my partners income is not included in any calcilations. But if I am put in a work related group I may not recieve anything?
  • dmg24
    depression wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your reply.Sorry to be dense about this but what does CB mean?

I think your answer means if I am put in a support group my partners income is not included in any calcilations. But if I am put in a work related group I may not recieve anything?

CB means Contributions based - if you are receiving Incapacity Benefit you will be moved onto CB ESA.

Yes, if you are put into the Support Group your partner's income will not count. If you are put in the WRAG then after a year his income will be taken into account. How much does he earn?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • dmg24 wrote: »
    CB means Contributions based - if you are receiving Incapacity Benefit you will be moved onto CB ESA.

Yes, if you are put into the Support Group your partner's income will not count. If you are put in the WRAG then after a year his income will be taken into account. How much does he earn?

Are you sure this is true? I was in the 'support group' of ESA, and when I was moving in with my partner, I was told that his income WOULD be taken into account.

I was also on income-based ESA - not contributions based... and it was DEFINITELY the support group!
  • To add; I know of two other people who are on ESA & are in the support group, they also get the income based type, as the contribution based one isn't due to you being in the support or work related activity group - it is based on your NI contributions
  • stella65
    stella65 Posts: 22 Forumite
    If the DWP are satisfied that you are not a couple, your friend's income will not affect your claim. Therefore you would still qualify for IB ESA (assuming you do not have capital over the prescribed levels).
    Thank you for that.
    At the end of the day - I can only answer their questions, and I can do no more than that.

I am lucky to have such a good friend to live with. He is good to a lot of people. Maybe I can win the lottery one day and repay him lol

I have seen the questions I will be asked by the Jobcentre - and as usual with the DWP etc - they do not take into consideration that everybody is in a different situation.

But hey ho - I am not going to stress over it - as that just makes my pain worse.

Thank you again - you have been very kind
  • dmg24
    Are you sure this is true? I was in the 'support group' of ESA, and when I was moving in with my partner, I was told that his income WOULD be taken into account.

I was also on income-based ESA - not contributions based... and it was DEFINITELY the support group!

The OP will be on CB ESA as they are being migrated from IB, so their situation is different from yours.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • depression
    depression Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2011 at 1:35PM

Thanks so much for your reply.It's she that earns, and its about £21,000 a year. I know this wouldnt be taken into any account but my illness has caused a great strain on our relationship and she feels that she should not have to support me. And she has to pay all the household and childtrens costs. I know I should only get what I am entitled to and am I right in thinking that whatever happens either in the support group or work related group I will get some ESA for 12 months?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure