Begging request on ebay

I've put something on ebay for £50. It's a luxury item, and on at less than a third of its cost when new.

I've had a begging letter, disabled child, difficult circumstances, child really would love it.

I must confess that I'm starting to get a touch irritated by this. I've been on ebay for over a decade now, and these emails appear every now and then. Sometimes, they're not even in the same country - I've had US begging letters asking me to send them a £10 item!

Do you ever have them, do you ever believe them, are you irritated by them? I don't think there's even a way to report them. I think they're just spammers, be it sometimes on small scale.

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Oooh I've never had a begging request via Ebay - the first thing I would do is check their buying/selling history on Ebay (and post it here, ha ha).

If it's a luxury item then clearly they don't need it, I'd ignore them.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    I can't say I have ever had one, but I mostly sell designer clothes. I find myself intrigued as to what the item might be!!
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    sometimes you have to put emotions to one side and just ignore the emails....its probably not even worth getting into an email conversation about the item....very hard to do I know and there probably are some very genuine people who could really benefit from the item at a reduced cost ....but in the world of ebay you have to be objective to selling your item to the higest bidder....
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • I usually get them when i sell mobiles on Ebay.

"Please ship to Nigeria and i will pay double!"
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,978 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    ebay have a complaints procedure.. use it. They have a live chat facility might be helpful.

But no, keep the email to forward to ebay and ignore it.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Not on Ebay but i'm the one that sends begging letters tp people who win the pools.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • browneyedbazzi
    browneyedbazzi Posts: 3,405 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I've never seen such a thing on ebay and I'm a bit shocked at the cheek of the person! I'd reply with a link to freecycle or similar and suggest they look there if they're after something for nothing. Ebay is a platform for selling things, if you wanted to be charitable/didn't need or want the money generated from a sale then you would post of freecycle or donate the item to a charity.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Sounds similar to the usual freecycle begging nonsense! It's always a disabled child or something equally emotive.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • londonsurrey
    londonsurrey Posts: 2,444 Forumite
    I've never seen such a thing on ebay and I'm a bit shocked at the cheek of the person! I'd reply with a link to freecycle or similar and suggest they look there if they're after something for nothing. Ebay is a platform for selling things, if you wanted to be charitable/didn't need or want the money generated from a sale then you would post of freecycle or donate the item to a charity.

I'd normally be helpful and point to Freecycle. However, the beggar has already mentioned that she has asked on another giveaway site, and in this case, I've decided that I'd rather not introduce her to a site where I give away things, as I just plain don't like her behaviour and don't want to be instrumental in increasing my odds of meeting her! :D
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    SailorSam wrote: »
    Not on Ebay but i'm the one that sends begging letters tp people who win the pools.
    Chap got a big win on the pools. Reporter says to him"What will you do about the begging letters". "Oh" says the winner "I expect that I will go on sending Them"
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family