Economy 10

Jonny_BB
Jonny_BB Posts: 5 Forumite
Hi,

I'm currently with Powergen for my electricity (don't have gas at my property) and am looking to see if I can get a better deal by switching. The trouble I've run accross is that I am on economy 10, which seems to be a mythical electricity tarrif as it is mentioned neither on providers' websites nor price comparison sites. For those who aren't familiar with it, on economy 10 the heaters and boiler are on a special meter that switches itself on three times daily and uses a cheaper rate for 'stored heat'. This is great in pricinpal, but it does mean that if I want to take advantage of the cheaper rate (and why woudn't I?) I have to be on an economy 10 tarrif and use the heating and boiler for 10 hours per day (or remember/get up in the middle of the night to turn it on/off manually).

So, my question: is there anyone out there who is familiar enough with economy 10 to advise me which companies support it and whether there are any price comparison services that I can phone to obtain a quote?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Comments

• MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi sorry, I have never heard of economy 10, but it sounds very like Scottish Hydro's Total Heating with Total Control (THTC) which I have, but is not to be found on any website, leaflet etc.
    I have been told that this (THTC) is only available to existing customers and that this is an old tarriff, and yours may be the same. I am scared to try other elec providers to see if they are cheaper because I will be unable to return to THTC if they are not, something you might also be up against.
    Sorry not much help I know,
    MrsB.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • Jonny_BB
    Hi MB,

Thanks for your reply. I am pretty sure your tarrif is not the same as mine as I am in a fairly new build property (2003/2004) and only moved in last August. Seen as you said it's an old, no longer supported tarrif you're on, it sounds likely we're not on the same plan. I presume they would not have put me on a tarrif just because the last tenant was on it. Electricity companies aren't that cooperative, right? ;)

For further information I am in Hertfordshire and with Powergen. Hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting that info!

Jon
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi, the elec company were very accomodating actually, and kept us on the same tarriff as the previous owners, with no "changeover" period, which was just as well as we moved in a very cold November!
    I found this link when I googled econ 10: its on this forum would you believe it!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=182958

maybe you will get more help here? I didn't read it all, but maybe you could PM some of the posters for more help?

Another link I found - has a phone no you can call to ask:
    http://www.heatandcool.co.uk/13.html

HTH
    MrsB.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • 7Stone4
    7Stone4 Posts: 21 Forumite
    This is interesting to me actually. Me and my OH lived for 12 months in a new build flat before moving to current flat. We were told we were on economy 9! but no provider had ever heard of it. So they said it must be economy 7 and we were charged accordingly. The water used to come on randomly during the day and we had our storage heaters on at night. One bill for 3 months was nearly £200 for a tiny tiny one bed flat. Makes me wonder if we were charged wrong all that time!
  • Jonny_BB
    Thanks for that MB. I did a search for economy 10 on Google last August, but didn't get any joy.

And to 7Stone4 - my electricity bills are £150 - £200 for a one bedroom flat too! Fully double glazed and everything!
  • 7Stone4
    7Stone4 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Jonny_BB wrote: »
    Thanks for that MB. I did a search for economy 10 on Google last August, but didn't get any joy.

And to 7Stone4 - my electricity bills are £150 - £200 for a one bedroom flat too! Fully double glazed and everything!

I really think that these 'Economy' Tarriffs are such a rip off. Now we have gas and electric and pay about £230 a quarter..but this is in a huge two bedroom flat which is over three times the size, doesnt have double glazing (most of the windows don't even shut properly), a massive hole in the roof (dont ask!) and no loft insulation. Cor I havent made my flat sound very nice have I!!:o
  • tripled
    tripled Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Jonny_BB wrote: »
    So, my question: is there anyone out there who is familiar enough with economy 10 to advise me which companies support it and whether there are any price comparison services that I can phone to obtain a quote?

Unfortunately not all suppliers support economy 10, and those that do don't necesarily support in every region, so it really is a case of calling round and getting unit rates from them. I can tell you now BG don't support it, you should have Powergen's tariff on your bill, so that only leaves 4 other major suppliers to call ;)
  • Hi people

Have been on Economy 10 for several years now. But EON have deceided to put our direct debit up from 62.00 a month to 100.00 a month. Been looking to switch but no comparison site has e10 on their tarrifs. Does any one have any suggestions? Had heard that Scottish power are the only ones that offer this as well as Eon.
  • mrbaldwin wrote: »
    Hi people

Have been on Economy 10 for several years now. But EON have deceided to put our direct debit up from 62.00 a month to 100.00 a month. Been looking to switch but no comparison site has e10 on their tarrifs. Does any one have any suggestions? Had heard that Scottish power are the only ones that offer this as well as Eon.

From my experience most suppliers have an economy 10 package, but none advertise their rates. This means the only option is to phone them to ask their rates, plus you can't get a switching bonus from any comparison sites. In the end I switched from Powergen to NPower. The question you should be asking though is 'is there a supplier that doesn't over-estimate their monthly direct debit'? Alas this question is not one I currently have an answer to!
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    E10 Quarterly Regional Excluding VAT ElectricityService chargePeak unitsOff-peak unitsSupplierppdppuppu Eastern17.6710.855.73East Midlands20.8810.685.77London23.0410.565.82Manweb22.6411.335.80Midlands12.7911.375.73Northern20.4110.915.57Norweb17.3811.055.63Seeboard18.0410.606.09Southern19.8711.845.40South Wales20.5011.906.25South Western15.7512.025.85Yorkshire17.6110.786.10Scottish Power24.8110.736.03Scottish Hydro20.7911.476.77
    http://www.heatandcool.co.uk/13.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport