PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Home made lasagne

2»

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Why buy lasagne sauce - just use tomatoes and chuck in a few herbs.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Pasta is fine. What goes wrong is we eat too big portions and we smother it with piles of meaty/cheesy sauce

I make mine ‘healthier ‘ by using half mince/half lentils and grated carrot, make my own tomato and white sauce. When making the white sauce I simmer the milk with an onion and a couple of bayleaves. Gives lots of flavour Cheese is only added to the top layer. Parmasen mixed with a small amount of cheddar.

You can make it healthier by using either courgette or leek instead of the pasta
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've got a really mean relative that buys the cheapest cheapest mince they can find. Things is that they and up deep frying it as it renders so much fat. It's lost on them that by the time that's factored in the mince ain't that cheap!

Depends. If I use a 20% fat mince at £3.38/kg, I'm getting 800g per 1kg, which translates to a 'fat-free meat' price of £4.23/kg. If I buy a 5% fat mince at £8/kg, I'm paying £8.42/kg for meat element. I may be binning most of the fat, but I'm still paying a lot less for the actual mince I keep. Plus fat gives flavour, and it's actually a decent energy source (if you're using burning the calories to use it up). If you wanted to be real OS, you could find a use for the fat too.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    krlyr wrote: »
    Depends. If I use a 20% fat mince at £3.38/kg, I'm getting 800g per 1kg, which translates to a 'fat-free meat' price of £4.23/kg. If I buy a 5% fat mince at £8/kg, I'm paying £8.42/kg for meat element. I may be binning most of the fat, but I'm still paying a lot less for the actual mince I keep. Plus fat gives flavour, and it's actually a decent energy source (if you're using burning the calories to use it up). If you wanted to be real OS, you could find a use for the fat too.

I agree. I only buy 20% fat mince because whilst mince needs browning on a high heat, it needs long slow cooking to tenderise and take on the flavours being added

I fry off, then drain, leaving perhaps a tablespoon of fat to fry the aromatics.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure