Stuck in a job I hate...

Options

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    If you have dreams, you have interests. What appeals to you about running your own clothing store? Can you get a weekend job in a clothes retailer to work towards this?
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • thoragunnr
    thoragunnr Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    How tied to your area are you?

Well, the bus route but to get to each shopping town takes an hour sometimes longer.
    Its a very small area and doesn't have much to offer unless you're a manager or drive.

If I drove, there's tons of places I can apply for.
    •• #238 £1000 ef; £14.00/£1,000 •• H2B; £120.00 •• BLS:£10.88/£15,000 ••
    •• Retirement: £4.86 •• New Home FundJar: £5.83p •• VOSS Jar £0.00 ••
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    thoragunnr wrote: »
    Well, the bus route but to get to each shopping town takes an hour sometimes longer.
    Its a very small area and doesn't have much to offer unless you're a manager or drive.

I intended to ask whether you could up sticks and move somewhere completely different - opens up far more potential vacancies if you are willing and able to go anywhere.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thoragunnr wrote: »

Consider focusing on this then, get your license save for a car and hopefully opportunities will avail.

You need to change your mindset and outlook.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You mentioned disability - are you unable to learn to drive due to your disability, or is it something you might be able to do in future? If its the latter, would it be possible for you to set that as a goal for yourself, say to aim to pass your test by a certain date?

You might find that having a set goal and something to work towards would make it easier for you to cope with the job as a short term thing.

In terms of the job, would it be possible for you to speak to your manager about fact that you were told you would be put in a specific room but have still not been allocated a fixed room to cover, and ask about timings to move towards that.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • thoragunnr
    Options
    i feel like I just can't talk to the manager,
    my disability is only being hard of hearing in both ears ( I had a complex ear infection and was off work for 2 weeks but get them easy due to wearing hearing aids all the time and because I just have issues with my ears)

I do have goals i just cant start them until my next payday.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Difficulty of travelling and hearing. Maybe the best sort of work would be on-line support ( via e-mail / chat ) for some kind of e-business. I'm thinking banking or shopping.
  • thoragunnr
    Options
    We've only just moved to this area. I thought I'd be in the job for longer than I'd like to be now.

That sounds like a good idea, geoff1963
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are there any small employers nearby so you don't have to travel? Maybe a corner shop, plant nursery, post office etc? Just a change of job until you find something you really want.
    Maybe try doing a course to widen your skills. There are some cheap ones you cash do online and that could open the door to retail jobs for example?
    Remember this isn't permanent. I hated the job I had at 23. It was a really pressurized call centre. Constantly watched over and regularly abused by callers. Hated it. However...it has meant that every job since has been better by comparison!
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    Get a bike and widen scope
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business