Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Easyjet ONLY

Comments

• Skid_Marks
    Skid_Marks Posts: 135 Forumite
    Mimi88 wrote: »
    Seems EJ has a new copy paste reply for all delay compensation claims caused by technical fault, I got recently literally the same email !!! What makes me especially worried is the sentence “Once the Supreme Court has ruled on this matter AND THEY (EJ) have determined that compensation is indeed payable they will pay” what suggests they are just planning to refuse my claim with some stupid excuse whatever SC decides and I will just waste 1 year waiting. Anyone please advise - is there really nothing we could do except wait?:mad:

You need to be patient and play them at their own game because they want you to give up......softly, softly, catchy monkey through the court process is the way to get your compensation.
  • Hi folks, need advice as to what to do next. I have received a reply from Easyjet via email after asking them to reply only in writing!! Brief circs are:- Me, DH & daughter returning from Dalaman, Turkey 01/06/2014. We boarded the flight for take off at 11.35 pm. 10 minutes into the flight the Captain said that something had lit up on his flight control panel & that he would be returning to Dalaman to get it checked. On landing at Dalaman, as we were waiting to offload, people had turned their mobiles back on & received texts stating the flight would now not be leaving until 4 pm the following day. The Captain did come out of the flight deck, apologised & said we would be put into Hotels for the night until this flight was checked or another aeroplane sourced. All passengers were handed a leaflet regarding our rights whilst delayed & also detailing compensation.
    We were indeed put into a Hotel, taken back to the airport the following day & we boarded the same flight and took off at 4.55pm. I sent the template letter of this site & have received the following reply:-

I apologise for the delay in replying to your email. We have recently received high number high num ber of emails which has affected our response time.
    I am sorry for any inconvenience caused to you due to delay of your flight EZY1944 on 01st June 2014. Having checked our records, I confirm that your flight was overnight delayed due to the flight which was scheduled to complete the flight was on ground due to flight control issue. The flight was overnight delayed as spare aircraft was unavailable to operate the flight. We are regulated by EC Regulation 261/2004 under which the reason for delay is considered as extra ordinary which means beyond easyJet's control. I am sorry as the flight was delayed due to extra ordinary reasons, we are unable to offer you any compensation in this case.
    In regards to the refund for food cost, we agree to reimburse GBP 24.00. However, to reimbure the cost we will require the last 4 digit sof the card to be confirmed by you. Once we will receive this we will process the reimbursement for the food cost.

We were offered no refreshments in the airport & I had to buy some drinks which they have offered to refund. If I accept this refund am I accepting it as full settlement and would it be worth pursuing it further. I feel we should be entitled to compensation for the 17+hours delay
    :A Heaven sent MSE :A
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Angel Advisor - if it was not within the control of EasyJet whose control was it under - Postman Pat? You have a valid claim so it looks like you need to take them to court on your own or use a no win no fee.
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi folks, need advice as to what to do next.

Read the FAQs which contain all you need to know. If you don't want to do that, speak to a no win no fee firm.
  • itsclair
    itsclair Posts: 21 Forumite
    I have received a reply from Easyjey after using the template letter, is this as far as I can go with it?
    Reply says:
    Please also accept my apologies for the fact that your flight was delayed.
    Having checked the report for this delay, i can see that it was due to an extraordinary reason in that the aircraft was affected by bad weather in its previous journey so was thoroughly checked before embarking on its next journey.
    Your arrival delay or 3 hours and 20 minutes, was out of our control, therefore I am unfortunately unable to offer you any compensation.
    I'm sorry if this is not the response you and the other passengers would have liked, however it correctly complies to the regulation EC261/2004.
  • 111KAB
    Combo Breaker First Post
    itsclair wrote: »
    I have received a reply from Easyjey after using the template letter, is this as far as I can go with it?

Depends if you believe them and you have read the FAQ's and maybe checked on flightstats to see if previous flights were delayed but generally knock-on events should not effect your flight so if the weather did delay YOUR actual flight then EasyJet are right but from the sounds of things they are admitting a previous flight problem became yours.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2424672/easyJet-passenger-given-500-payout-weather-chaos-flight-delay-landmark-case.html
  • We were told we were entitled to compensation back in May 14. After a complete !!!! up their end with countless emails and phone calls from us -we are still waiting for our cheque (they told us they couldn't pay directly into our bank - total piddle!)
    We have sent an NBA. Still nothing. We have put it in hands of our solicitors now who have asked us to get a few pieces of info verified before they proceed. Still waiting for a reply from Easy Jet! God help them when our solicitors get in touch with them :) just annoying cos we will now have to pay a fee to solicitors even tho claim is accepted. Never ever again would me nor any of my family fly with Easy Jet. They just lie all the way down the line!
  • itsclair
    itsclair Posts: 21 Forumite
    111KAB wrote: »
    Depends if you believe them and you have read the FAQ's and maybe checked on flightstats to see if previous flights were delayed but generally knock-on events should not effect your flight so if the weather did delay YOUR actual flight then EasyJet are right but from the sounds of things they are admitting a previous flight problem became yours.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2424672/easyJet-passenger-given-500-payout-weather-chaos-flight-delay-landmark-case.html

They say lightning hit the plane as it came in, so it had to be checked before flying back with us, but at the time we were told they were sending another plane out for us as unable to use!
  • Hi,
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated on our problem.

We sent the template letter from Martin Lewis explaining that our Easy jet flight EZY 1944 from Dalaman to Manchester airport on 27.07.2014 (due to depart at 11.30) had been delayed and then cancelled. We then waited in the airport until 3.30am for a hotel to be arranged which we got to at 4am. The following day the replacement flight was delayed an hour.
    The response from Easyjet was as follows:

With regards to compensation, in a recent ruling by the High Court of the United Kingdom it has been ruled that technical issues relating to the operation of the aircraft in most cases cannot be exempt from compensation.
    Whilst we were not specifically involved in this case it is our understanding that the airline involved is now seeking a further appeal in this matter to the Supreme Court. On this basis we are awaiting the outcome of the Supreme Court before considering our position further in relation to this. Because of this we have put your case with us on hold.
    Once the Supreme Court has ruled on this matter and we have determined that compensation is indeed payable we will contact you to arrange payment. We recognise that there are several claims companies operating that may claim they will be able to obtain compensation on your behalf earlier, charging you up to 30% of the value of the compensation; this is not the case as we will also be defending / holding these types of actions pending the outcome of the Supreme Court. We commit that once the legal process is complete, likely to be in mid to late 2015 and if compensation is owing we will pay this directly to you in full.

Do we have to keep our fingers crossed and wait until 2015?
    Or should we receive compensation under the EC Regulation 261/2004 for this flight, as quoted in the Martin Lewis letter?

Can anyone advise us on what our next step should be?
    Thanks
  • 111KAB
    Combo Breaker First Post
    gleavesy wrote: »

Can anyone advise us on what our next step should be?

IMO best to wait as time is on your side but suggest you do not wait until airline contact you (following Huzar) but rather keep your eye on the case just in case they 'forget' to contact you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback