Halifax Total Mortgage Protection Plan (TMPP) - Can I reclaim?

Options

Comments

• Bassimanpreet
    Options
    Hiya guys..! I have a similar situation re TMPP claim with Halifax..! I have filled in the claim forms and sent it. Today I received a response refusing my claim as the TMPP I have does not have the PPI linked to it as my TMPP only covers for Life cover and Critical Illness cover. So they said they closin their file in this regards an is their final decision. Therefore if anyone here had a similar situation can you please guide me as I was not given an option to take out TMPP on my Mortgage...! Do you think I should take it up with FOS? Really appreciate your expertise advice on this..!
  • marie200
    marie200 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, by the sounds of it, you didnt have ppi so they dont have to refund you. TMPP is made up of 3 insurance elements, Life insurance, Critical Illness cover and Mortgage payment protection. You could choose to have whichever ones you wanted to. If they are saying you only had life insurance and critical illness cover then you didnt take the Mortgage payment protection, so would not be eligible for a refund. Sorry but i think if you tried to take it further, you would just be wasting your time. Hope this helps :) x
    Newbie to comping!
    Wins June 2013 - 2 boxes of cereal, Set of flock hangers, Avon make up, Loreal shampoo and conditioner, mud mask, garnier hair spray and roll on set, Garnier moisture match moisturiser, Skylanders giants prism break figure. Case of DB wine, Calvin Klein Cosmetics!
    Be lucky everyone! :beer:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,378 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Today I received a response refusing my claim as the TMPP I have does not have the PPI linked to it as my TMPP only covers for Life cover and Critical Illness cover. So they said they closin their file in this regards an is their final decision. Therefore if anyone here had a similar situation can you please guide me as I was not given an option to take out TMPP on my Mortgage...! Do you think I should take it up with FOS? Really appreciate your expertise advice on this..!

It sounds like you put a PPI complaint in but dont have PPI. So, it would logically be rejected.

The FOS wont help you because and it would be treated as a frivolous complaint.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bassimanpreet
    Options
    Thanks guys... Really appreciated your responses!
  • misterboumsong
    Options
    ive had since 1998 tmmp and i pay £25 mortgage protection and £20 critical illness cover. im tempted to complain as i initially went through a mortgage adviser who back in the day advised me the halfax was the best mortgage to go for. On then speaking directly with the ~Halfax i was basically told the tmmp is needed for my protection and is more of a necessity than an optional requirement.

my query is here if i do pursue a claim how much would i be likely to get back on a 14 year deal ??If an offer from HBOS was made can i continue with the policy.do i need to accept ? and i assume by accepting the policy is immediately voided ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    i was basically told the tmmp is needed for my protection and is more of a necessity than an optional requirement.
    This is not a complaint reason; it's true that the policy protects your most valuable asset-your home.
    if i do pursue a claim how much would i be likely to get back on a 14 year deal?
    Unless you have valid complaint reasons and evidence to back them up, you'll get nothing.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,378 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ive had since 1998 tmmp and i pay £25 mortgage protection and £20 critical illness cover. im tempted to complain as i initially went through a mortgage adviser who back in the day advised me the halfax was the best mortgage to go for. On then speaking directly with the ~Halfax i was basically told the tmmp is needed for my protection and is more of a necessity than an optional requirement.

my query is here if i do pursue a claim how much would i be likely to get back on a 14 year deal ??If an offer from HBOS was made can i continue with the policy.do i need to accept ? and i assume by accepting the policy is immediately voided ?

Halifax are pretty easy and refunding with the MPPI element of the TMPP. However, they will vigorously defend the life assurance element and the CI element. They only refund on those where there is an identified wrong doing.

Your policy will be voided if you proceed to complaint as you are complaining that you dont want it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • but can anyone suggest what kind of payout im likely to win should a sucessful claim be pursued - im in a fortunate position where i can pay off my mortage in full or let it run for another 10 years - and try and win back a nice sum that could pay of a slice
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    but can anyone suggest what kind of payout im likely to win should a sucessful claim be pursued
    A successful complaint would see you receiving a refund of all PPI you paid plus 8% simple interest.
  • linaraman
    linaraman Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    I hope I can find some guidance here as every story is different and I am confused if I could possibly do it myself or better go via the claim company.??
    We took out a joint mortgage in Feb 2002 and I came across the document that my husband, who was self-employed at that time took out TMPP in May 2002 which was sold by the Mortgage advisor I believe. The property was re-mortgaged few times since, but as this product is a stand alone, we only noticed and cancelled the policy few weeks ago. We have paid out around £6000 in total over the years and I am struggling to remember how this product was sold to us and if it was possibly miss-sold to us due to the mortgage being in joint names and in the event of my husband being ill I would be able to step in and continue with payments as I was employed full time. So really, we didn't need to have it. If I can remember correctly mortgage advisor was getting commissions on how many policies or products he has sold. I was also almost forced to open a bank account, which I believe happened at the same time.
    Any comments would be highly appreciated, as I was really gutted to find out we were paying for this TMPP all these years without having the need for it.
    Thank you in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport