Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    PaulW2246 wrote: »

In other words, 'you're on your own now'. Thanks a bundle.

That is a rather strange comment IMO.
    MSE, and in particular their Energy club, exist to make a profit. They managed to negotiate a couple of very good 'collective deals' from which we benefited and MSE made money.

If they could negotiate another collective deal, they would make more money; but apparently they are having difficulty getting an agreement with any of the various energy companies - who also exist to make a profit.

So please explain in more detail your criticism of MSE.

Like many others, my collective switch deal is coming to an end. When I click on the link 'See MSE's Top Energy Picks' in the email I received from MSE advising me of this, - the top recommendation offered as a money-saver, is being investigated by Ofgem, the second one has a high volume of unhappy users who struggle to contact the company, & the next five on list are such new companies that MSE has no feedback on them yet.
    These are recommendations from a consumer advice site.....REALLY!??

If you go through this forum, and many others on the internet, you will find post after post criticising ALL of the energy companies. Even the companies voted top for customer service, receive loads of complaints.

The recommendations of MSE are based on price. If they were responsible for the poor service by companies none would get recommended.

So what should MSE do? i.e. how should they grade their recommendations?
  • LVL_CHG_2
    LVL_CHG_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What's the latest date at which I would need to commence a switch to another supplier, if MSE haven't created another collective??
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LVL_CHG wrote: »
    What's the latest date at which I would need to commence a switch to another supplier, if MSE haven't created another collective??

You could wait until the last day of your present fixed tariff contract plus 3 days and initiate a switch. Provided you choose a supplier that is fully signed up to 17 day switching (it is a voluntary code) your losing supplier should be notified that there is a transfer in progress by day 20 after fixed contract end date. Provided there are no hiccups, you will remain on your present tariff until the transfer goes through. If your old supplier is not informed of the transfer until Day 21, then you will end up on the SVT.

That said, that difference in cost between your new and old tariffs is pence not £s, I would not wait until the last minute to initiate a switch. You are asking for problems.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Ive just switched today. If you go with a company that doesnt lock you in you can still take advantage of any potential collective switch at a later date.
  • LVL_CHG_2
    LVL_CHG_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for the replies
  • M271
    M271 Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    M271 wrote: »
    Well I've gone for the 'bird in the hand' policy and have started the switch from the collective switch to EDF Fixed until September 2018. Better deals may or may not come later but any overlapping weeks into the far higher BG standard tariff will cost a lot more. Its costing me now £89 / month rather than the £80 on the collective but BG raised my DD to £86 anyway during the year even though I was in credit, so have a refund due.
    Good luck to you waiting for a new good collective or better energy company pre-winter deals and I hope that you get one, but for me the EDF offer is OK in the CURRENT market.

Well my switching date from MSE BG Collective to EDF 1 year online saver fix seems to be on 7th September only 2.5 weeks after applying rather than the 4 weeks I was expecting from previous experience, but I'd rather under shoot (at a lower energy consumption time of year) than over shoot the roll over date onto the very much more expensive BG Standard rate. But others may want to take note of the timing if planning on doing the same switch.
  • littlebw
    littlebw Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Well my switching date from MSE BG Collective to EDF 1 year online saver fix seems to be on 7th September only 2.5 weeks after applying rather than the 4 weeks I was expecting from previous experience, but I'd rather under shoot (at a lower energy consumption time of year) than over shoot the roll over date onto the very much more expensive BG Standard rate. But others may want to take note of the timing if planning on doing the same switch.

Ive just applied for this as well, hope its the right choice:T
  • M271
    M271 Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    littlebw wrote: »
    Ive just applied for this as well, hope its the right choice:T
    Only the next month will tell if it is the right choice or not. I preferred to keep away from the newer smaller companies which were only £1 a month less for me than EDF anyway. The MSE BG collective ending Oct 2017 was a very good deal so anything new coming anywhere near it I feel is unlikely. Other better deals may come out between now and October 3rd when the collective ends but the EDF deal seems to me a good enough deal to go onto for £9 month extra with cashback as well.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Only the next month will tell if it is the right choice or not. I preferred to keep away from the newer smaller companies which were only £1 a month less for me than EDF anyway. The MSE BG collective ending Oct 2017 was a very good deal so anything new coming anywhere near it I feel is unlikely. Other better deals may come out between now and October 3rd when the collective ends but the EDF deal seems to me a good enough deal to go onto for £9 month extra with cashback as well.
    Did you go for the online tariff that has exit fees?
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 August 2017 at 4:35PM
    Options
    Npower seems to be coming out cheaper than EDF by £4 for me. I understand everybody's usage is different, but it seems strange that everybody that has gone ahead with a switch with one of the big players so far hasn't mentioned it yet.

That said, it seems that TopCashback are offering £60 to switch to EDF rather than the £30 you'd get by going through MSE CEC.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure