Anybody Done LGV Training Recently?

Comments

• Reggie_Rebel
    Reggie_Rebel Posts: 5,036 Forumite
    Not sure about the above post.

I work for a coach firm and all our drivers are undergoing Driver CPC training as part of an ongoing programme. You do have five years to do thirty five hours of training
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    gner_ex wrote: »
    To you people thinking of doing category C - do it before September, as from September 2009 onwards Driver CPC comes into play (doesn't matter if you do C+E after then). Pass before then, and you're effectively exempted from it. See http://www.drivercpc.org/ for info.

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know this was coming.

I think you're right but you still have to do the periodic training, see this quote from that site:
    How does periodic training apply to drivers who obtained a CPC via the initial qualification?

Over the 5 years following their licence and initial driver CPC acquisition, they have to undertake 35 hours periodic training to maintain their Driver CPC.
    How does periodic training apply to existing PCV / LGV licence holders who are exempted from the initial qualification?

PCV / LGV drivers holding full licences on 10th September 2008/09 will have to complete their first course of periodic training within 5 years – ie by 2013/14.
    I read that as saying that existing drivers will have to do 35 hours periodic training within 5 years (to take them up to 2019 by which time they wil have needed to complete another 35 hours to continue working), and new drivers after Sept 10th 2009, will also have to do 35 hours periodic training within 5 years. The difference is that new drivers will have to do some kind of initial CPC test as part of their course for an LGV licence. Or will have to do the initial CPC after obtaining their pass for LGV/PCV in order to be employable.

Do you know how much extra this is going to cost new drivers for the initial CPC? And how much the 35 hours periodic training will be?

This here describes what the Initial CPC test will involve,
    What will the initial qualification involve?

It will involve 4 hours of theory testing and 2 hours of practical testing. (The test for driving licence acquisition currently comprises of a 1.5 hour theory test and 1.5 hour practical test. So the extra testing would be 2.5 hours of theory testing and 30 minutes of practical testing.) The tests must be at the equivalent of NVQ level 2.
    DSA are introducing modular tests so that drivers can obtain their driving licence and CPC at the same time. The CPC syllabus covers the additional knowledge a professional driver needs to have; it is not just about practical driving skills.
    The Theory test will be in 3 parts:
    • Module 1a - licence acquisition - 100 multiple choice questions
    • Module 1b - icence aquisition - 19 hazard perception clips
    • Module 2 - initial driver CPC - 3 case studies
    The “Case studies” will be designed to suit the profile of the candidate and DSA is meeting both sectors to help develop the new tests. DSA envisages that the questions would be of the format where a situation or scenario was defined for the driver, and they are then asked questions relating to this situation. Case studies wherever possible will use diagrams, pictures and graphics.
    Test presentation will be screen-based, like the theory test for driving licence acquisition, and will be delivered from existing theory test centres.

The Practical test will be in 2 parts:
    • Module 3 - licence acquisition - 1.5 hours of on-road practical testing
    • Module 4 - initial driver CPC - 0.5 hours of practical 'show me, tell me' test using a vehicle
    Can you confirm the bits in red are the current test, so modules 2 & 4 will be added to the current test? And presumably module 2 is 2.5 hours long Jeez!!! :eek:
  • I am really excited about this HGV Training and hopefully will finish this with flying colors. I need more tips from the experts. Thanks :j
  • Mr_Vincent
    Mr_Vincent Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Passed mine.
    Just waiting for my licence to show I have the category to drive a lorry.
    :j.

Relax, I am not jumping into the sea to get started. I know there is a recession going on.
    :beer:
    :mad: If you are angry about something, let it be known....... :wall:
    :oIf I fail to thank you individually, I am sorry. Your advice was appreciated but may not have been 100% the result I was after.
  • wharty
    wharty Posts: 426 Forumite
    Hi i am a class1 driver working for wincanton/screwfix and can tell you its not all long hours and time away from home. I work around 50 hours a week and got paid just over 30k this tax year just ended, we are really well looked after with our pensions and all sorts of other benefits. We also have a gym at work and a very nice canteen,and drive Volvo Globetrotters not more than 2 years old. We have also all been put through our nvq 3's in the last few months. My point is that once you have got your experience you can go for the really good jobs and make a good living.
    I would totally recommend Wincanton. They also have a warehouse to wheels scheme where they will train anybody up who wants to drive for them weather you are a cleaner or office staff. All they ask is you stay with them for two years after the training.
    Depending on where you live the best training centre is stockport hgv(i passed here) and at the time they were the only ones recommended by the dvla. Good luck to the newbees and anyone thinking of becoming a trucker!!!!!
  • Wincanton can be a good job, depends on the contract.
    I did my time with them on the KwikSave contract, that was a lovely little job as it was paid at proper pro rata night, overtime and weekend rates, and through breaks.

At the time it was the only contract in the country that was, most others were paid at a flat rate for Saturdays when you were on rota for example.

We had very small trucks but any old timer will tell you that is often a good thing as it keeps the ''glory boys'' away (no kudos in driving a day cab tractor unit apparently, so no idiots to carve the job up)) and the trucks are much more maneuverable for tight shop dels.
    You have to be careful of some contracts (not just Wincanton this applies everywhere) as they involve a lot of weekend/bank holiday working which is paid at normal rate.

Glad you have a good contract there Wharty.
  • Balista
    Balista Posts: 1 Newbie
    My partner called Pathwayhgv up and they said they needed his credit card details in order to run a creditcheck on him. .... so, blondly he gave them his details, and they proceeded to withdraw £100 from our account WITHOUT telling him.

He didn't agree to anything and he didn't sign up to anything - he was just enquiring. They didn't even tell him they were doing that - they just withdrew the money.... i only found out 2 days later when i looked at my ebanking statement.

Been trying to get the money back for 2 weeks now and they keep hanging up on us.

It's just pure theft... theres nothing we can do about it either.... having called the consumer advice line.

These guys are crooks.

You can get local training for about £300 less than what they offer - all they do is send u to a local trainer anyway and charge u for doing that....
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2009 at 4:21PM
    Balista, (been a month since you posted so I doubt you will read this and only 1 post from you)

The consumer advice line IMO (in my opinion) are talking rubbish (unless there is something you have not told us). You should speak to your card provider, and ask them to recover the money as an unauthorised charge to the account. Then you should speak to your councils trading standards who will (hopefully) do some recorded telephone investigations on this company pretending to be enquiring about driver traning.

You should also never allow credit checks to be done on you without good reason, for example asking for loan quotes, if you are just asking around for quotes to compare one co. against another, don't allow them to do a credit check. Tell them you are only looking for a quote and if you decide to go with them, only at that stage will you allow a credit check to be authorised. The other thing is that they would not need the creditcard number to perform a credit check, just your name adress would be enough and length of time at that address.
  • Balista wrote: »
    My partner called Pathwayhgv up and they said they needed his credit card details in order to run a creditcheck on him. .... so, blondly he gave them his details, and they proceeded to withdraw £100 from our account WITHOUT telling him.

He didn't agree to anything and he didn't sign up to anything - he was just enquiring. They didn't even tell him they were doing that - they just withdrew the money.... i only found out 2 days later when i looked at my ebanking statement.

Been trying to get the money back for 2 weeks now and they keep hanging up on us.

It's just pure theft... theres nothing we can do about it either.... having called the consumer advice line.

These guys are crooks.

You can get local training for about £300 less than what they offer - all they do is send u to a local trainer anyway and charge u for doing that....
    pathway seem to have dissapeared as of this week! I payed £2695 for the whole course with them and have only had 5 days training, and unfortunatly I failed my test at the end of it.
    I did however pay for pass protection, and for the past 3 weeks have been trying to book a retest, up until monday I was getting fobed off, but now I can't contact them at all, and I know i'm not on my own. Can any give me any advice on this matter please
  • I've had trouble myself getting in touch with pathways hgv. I've got my licence back but have not been able to get in touch to book my theory, apparently they are suffering technical difficulties. I paid £1500 and am now really !!!!ed :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure