PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing Milk

Ok, im a bloke, dont go in the kitchen much..
But i drink a lot of tea, 8 cups+ a day.

Im also sick to death of going to the shops to replace it, and i hate the taste of UHT Milk.

Soi tried freezing it. Wehey, lasts bout 2 weeks longer!

I now buy the largest containers, freeze them, and
When my milk has 'nearly' gone, i just pop one out on the worktop for 2 hours or so..

It slowly defrosts, but if you pop in the fridge thereafter it takes forever to defrost- which keeps it chilled and bacteria wont attack it so quickly.

Next week folks:

Willy wonkas everlasting gobstoppers ;D

Comments

• tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I've been freezing milk for years ;D

I kept track, over a few days, of how many cuppas I drink per day. I averaged 12 :o ;D
    Bulletproof
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    my gran always froze milk, but i have uht. we always freeze butter though, and marg, and cheese.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ok, im a bloke, dont go in the kitchen much..
    But i drink a lot of tea, 8 cups+ a day.

Im also sick to death of going to the shops to replace it, and i hate the taste of UHT Milk.

Soi tried freezing it. Wehey, lasts bout 2 weeks longer!

I now buy the largest containers, freeze them, and
    When  my milk has 'nearly' gone, i just pop one out on the worktop for 2 hours or so..

It slowly defrosts, but if you pop in the fridge thereafter it takes forever to defrost- which keeps it chilled and bacteria wont attack it so quickly.

Next week folks:

Willy wonkas everlasting gobstoppers  ;D

good at sharpening your teeth eh DIM?
    Combo Breaker First Post
    excuse my blondeness, i didn't get that judi :-[
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been freezing milk for years. Most of the time it's OK but occasionally it has a bitter tast once defrosted. Does anyone know why?
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i've had that but never been able to work out why.
  • goolieman
    goolieman Posts: 101 Forumite
    My Mum used to freeze milk, but then again she has one of those huge chest freezers. Unfortunately I have no room in mine to freeze any milk (too full with reduced mince and chicken pieces lol). Wish I could though, we get through 6pts of FF and 6pt SS every three or so days. Bloody kids who need milk!
    But wait... you can freeze cheese ??? Really ??? I didn't think you could!
    I may have enough room for cheese, I lurrrrve cheese, eat far too much of it so it would be good to have a reserve!
    C
    :)
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    yeah, wrap it up well, bung in freezer. lasts about a month, (soft cheeses don't work, but cheddar does.) so do yogurts, i freeze them for kids pack lunches, put in pack lunch in morning straight from freezer and by lunch time defrosted and helped keep lunch cool.
  • cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    http://www.food.gov.uk/healthiereating/asktheexpert/eatingsafely/89050

a few tips on freezing milk and other stuff ;D
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Fascinating stuff, just had a browse round the doh site. So it's safe to eat raw tofu.....but who would want to?! :-/

I already knew that you could freeze milk and cheese, although I never usually bother. Might start having a bit of reserve in the freezer, though, now I'm a single mum and can't rely on the ex to nip to the shops if we run out!

I didn't know that you could freeze yoghurt! :o Does this apply to all types? Doesn't it curdle and/or seperate? Does anyone else do this? Questions, questions, questions.... ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure