MSE News: OFT 'to drop' bank charges case

Comments

• KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Cue Nelson Muntz.

Another small victory for the poor and a slap in the face to the greedy and foolish. Anyone remember that idiot on You and Yours a while ago who was trying to claim £10,000!!!? Over six years that's nearly £140 per month! So much money coming in they couldn't be bothered to modify their behaviour to save £1600 per year.
  • BOB_A_H
    BOB_A_H Posts: 180 Forumite
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Cue Nelson Muntz.

Another small victory for the poor and a slap in the face to the greedy and foolish. Anyone remember that idiot on You and Yours a while ago who was trying to claim £10,000!!!? Over six years that's nearly £140 per month! So much money coming in they couldn't be bothered to modify their behaviour to save £1600 per year.

What the hell has that to do with the fact that bank fees and charges do not reflect the cost to them.
    That is what this whole campaign has been about! Why highlight one individual case among tens of thousands?
  • if this is true about the oft which i hope it is not,it opens the flood gates for an even bigger rip off britain,the people will vote no confidence in the banks,no confidence in government,this is bad.

BAD MOVE,government and banks need the people on there side for them to exist,they think they own us,they dont,the banks may lose 500.000 customers over this but they have a plentifull supply of people to replace them,they just re-sorted the charge system so that its a flat system whereby it takes the cash at a slower rate but at the end of the month its still the same amount,instead of hitting you with a £39.00 charge they take it at a £1.00 a day etc etc,(please dont offer any charges lists i know what they are doing more or less)

they obviously dont need the accounts that are reclaiming bank charges,after all the government just gave them £260 billion pounds plus,they are flush with cash,they dont need us.
    and if they are not flush with cash,my guess is they couldnt care less anyway,they always make sure they have plenty,with or without us.

at least some cash was retrieved,well done martin lewis and all that have put great efforts into this campaign

maybe it isnt over,im not sure what will happen now .
    missed direct debit charges,very odd,theres no pain so how come the big gain,i.e £39.00 for a letter
  • BOB_A_H wrote: »
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    Cue Nelson Muntz.

What the hell has that to do with the fact that bank fees and charges do not reflect the cost to them. That is the penalty argument which is no longer a valid argument.
    That is what this whole campaign has been about! Why highlight one individual case among tens of thousands?
    The whole campaign has been about a fairer system as a whole. We are getting there but we aren't quite there yet.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They thought it was over ... it is now

(although some still don't want to believe it 'til the morning)
    ...Individuals can still pursue claims against their banks but to do so will be costly and if the OFT lawyers can't see a way forward it would take a brave person to try. The barrister, Daniel Barnett, believes this is now the end of the road for the outstanding claims....
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • It seems to me that there may be more to this story than we will ever know (at least, not until the 30-year rule allows us to see the secret records). The banks need to re-capitalised. The general taxpayer has done his (or her) bit but refunding bank charges threatened to undo some of that work.

I consider many of life's costs to be unfair and widely publicised bank fees/penalties are no exception (although that wasn't my view when the case first started).

I believe the Courts would have come to a different verdict if it hadn't been for the Worldwide financial crisis. That is not how our Courts should operate.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • It will be interesting if the oft announce they continue their action what happens to the banks stock prices, as 7am is one hour before the markets open and this could potientially stick around in the headlines for a few hours.
  • MrLeeLee
    MrLeeLee Posts: 163 Forumite
    chillxxx wrote: »
    It will be interesting if the oft announce they continue their action what happens to the banks stock prices, as 7am is one hour before the markets open and this could potientially stick around in the headlines for a few hours.

I was always under the impression that any announcement from the OFT was going to be after the stock market closed, due to the effect it could have on the market.

No doubt it will give a huge lift to the stock market if the OFT in fact don't carry on with more cases, thus the reason they are announcing it at 7am just before Christmas I guess... Or maybe that's me just being cynical!
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Right, now it's time to change tactics. Anyone fancy going for possitions as directors of the various banks/building societies?.

Once elected, they are are then free to re-write the rules on charges, and even start a program of refunds.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Nothing like getting kicked in the gut when you are already down is there?

If true. I'm not suprised because nothing ever goes the way of the people in this country nothing no matter who we vote for or follow it always goes tits up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure