Giving debt collectors your address

Hi,

I recently came back from Australia and some debts that I thought had been paid when living with my former housemate, for reasons I won't go into, haven't at all been paid and in fact have gone to debt collectors. These are council tax and an electricity bill. I've agreed to take over the handling of these debts as my old housemate is useless in these matters.

I'm trying to set up a payment plan with them, but the council tax bailiffs/debt collectors are demanding I give them mine and my old housemates current addresses and employment details. The debt collectors similarly want an address from me. I'm not so keen on giving them this information, is it really mandatory? Neither of them know where I live and I would like it to stay that way. Also, I don't see why I should give my employment details when I am willing to pay the debt off

Any info would be great, thanks.

Comments

• harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How did they get in contact with you in the first place? Are the debts in both names, and are you "joint and severally liable"? Is your former housemate going to contribute at all? Not sure what relevance your employment details have, and I would certainly not part with those. I would also not give them your old housemate's address, as that is their business (unless you want them to be chased for the debts too to encourage them to pay their share).
  • MykMallett
    MykMallett Posts: 135 Forumite
    Well, they are hounding my former housemate, at his parents address for the council tax (which I know can be contested) and also at his new address for the electricity bill. So they haven't actually got in touch with me, it's a complicated state of affairs but yes he is going to contribute. I suppose the guarantee that he does is that they know his address and not mine, but I want to deal with them to sort it out.

As far as I am aware we are both jointly liable as both our names are on the accounts.

Is it allowed to insist on email only correspondance maybe? Otherwise, maybe I should arrange a PO box or something to correspond by letter
  • hallowitch
    hallowitch Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1992/613/regulation/36/made

Duties of debtors subject to liability order

36.—(1) Where a liability order has been made, the debtor against whom it was made shall, during such time as the amount in respect of which the order was made remains wholly or partly unpaid, be under a duty to supply relevant information to the billing authority on whose application it was made.

(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), relevant information is such information as fulfils the following conditions—

(a)it is in the debtor’s possession or control;

(b)the billing authority requests him by notice given in writing to supply it; and

(c)it falls within paragraph (3).

(3) Information falls within this paragraph if it is specifed in the notice mentioned in paragraph (2)(b) and it falls within one or more of the following descriptions—

(a)information as to the name and address of an employer of the debtor;

(b)information as to earnings or expected earnings of the debtor;

(c)information as to deductions and expected deductions from such earnings in respect of the matters referred to in paragraphs (a) to (c) of the definition of “net earnings” in regulation 32 or attachment of earnings orders made under this Part, the Attachment of Earnings Act 1971(1) or the Child Support Act 1991(2);

(d)information as to the debtor’s work or identity number in an employment, or such other information as will enable an employer of the debtor to identify him;

(e)information as to sources of income of the debtor other than an employer of his;

(f)information as to whether another person is jointly and severally liable with the debtor for the whole or any part of the amount in respect of which the order was made.

(4) Information is to be supplied within 14 days of the day on which the request is made.
    I am not an expert I am self taught i have no legal training any information I post is based on my own personal experience and information gained from other web sites

If you are in any doubt please seek legal/expert advice help
  • hallowitch
    I believe the council can take you to court if you do not supply them with the information

I think I remember reading that if they do it will cost the debtor about £350
    I am not an expert I am self taught i have no legal training any information I post is based on my own personal experience and information gained from other web sites

• hallowitch
    what bailiff firm is it

you should also find out this info (as the bailiffs have been in contact with your mate get him to send it or set up an e-mail address you can both use )

send an e-mail to the council revenues department and ask

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
    2 - the dates they were obtained
    3 - the addresses they were for
    4 - the period of time each covers
    5 - how much each one was for
    6 - how much is still outstanding
    7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

• MykMallett
    MykMallett Posts: 135 Forumite
    I have been asked to provide details of my earnings. The issue is that I earn more than the other guy and I'll be damned if I'm paying more than him. So I have to give them these details?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure