We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help MBE grow his dinner 2012

Options

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,548 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    furballmad wrote: »
    Started landscaping the small back garden on Monday. Filled a skip, taken grass off down to the soil. Lifted raised beds that were waterlogged(long story). Lifted the path. Levelled lawn and relaid path. I am now in need of help (and a new back). Planning the borders and it's north facing. Plants only at this side. What cottage garden style plants grow north facing. Have googled but prefer peoples successes. I have taken a before pic so i can post before and after.

North facing in heavy stones clay I have grown Autumn Joy with succes. Ivy grows well too and some variegated evergreens yellow and white sorry don't know the names. Good luck with the design it's great when all th hard work is done and the planting can begin.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    shala_moo wrote: »
    Hmmm interesting site there.. not sure i'll be using my rhubarb for hair colouring though :eek:

Aw go on! Before and after pics please! :rotfl:
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    A picture speaks a thousand words... ;)

Batteries replenished :p I set the dried stalks back from the edge a bit so the rain hopefully (if we get any this year) won't get in.

beehotel2-1-1.jpg

And my gooseberry cuttings are sprouting! :T

gooseberrycuttings-1.jpg
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • emiff6
    First Post
    Options
    ... Planning the borders and it's north facing. Plants only at this side. What cottage garden style plants grow north facing. Have googled but prefer peoples successes. I have taken a before pic so i can post before and after.

My small garden is north facing. It gets a bit of late afternoon sun in summer and I have grown: ceonothus, garrya elliptica, daphne, peony, bush lilac, clematis, delphinium, lupin, primula, polyanthus, foxglove, rudbeckia, wallflower (annual and perennial), michaelmas daisy, cyclamen (neapolitan I think, they've been in years and multiplied and seeded all over), sage, rosemary, lavender, honeysuckle, pulmonaria, fleabane, jacob's ladder, erythronium, hardy fuchsia, sunflowers, musk mallow, lavatera.... and loads more.

My theory is, if I like it, I try it. It's amazing what will be quite happy without a lot of direct sunlight. All the spring bulbs do well, except daffs, which grow a bit tall and leggy.
  • furballmad
    furballmad Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Please can you tell me which is the best site to use to post pics on here. Thankyou
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. – Hilary Cooper
    Was furball, now finally gone mad, furballmad
    I have chooks :D I am owned by 3 cat's;)
  • furballmad
    Options
    Thankyou for the flower replies, i am so excited now as there are more than i thought. Was beginning to get a bit disheartened. Will try to post the before pic (be warned, its bad) but don't hold your breath. The last time i tried to post pics it took 3 hours.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. – Hilary Cooper
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    emiff6 wrote: »
    Batteries replenished :p I set the dried stalks back from the edge a bit so the rain hopefully (if we get any this year) won't get in.

I was quite inspired from your description, so have been making progress on the same, after finding myself stood next to some hollow-stemmed dead plants yesterday. Some bloke looked at me like I was a loony as I started chucking them into the boot of my car. :D I've cut to length and built a box - it'll be finished soon. I'm going to use a little dab of glue to hold them in place.

To be critical of your efforts (in what I hope is a good way!), have you got any smaller stems? I've read that there are species out there that like a hole about 2mm across. ;)
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • mrbadexample
    Options
    Please can you tell me which is the best site to use to post pics on here. Thankyou

I use photobucket. It's fairly straightforward. It's the ;)" alt="code that you need to paste into your post. ;)" />
  • furballmad
    Options
    Thankyou, only frozen laptop up once and crashed it once. This is before, I did warn you. AAArgh as a new user i am not allowed to post links:eek:, Bum, it took ages, Oh well i will have to chat more and post later.
  • emiff6
    First Post
    Options

To be critical of your efforts (in what I hope is a good way!), have you got any smaller stems? I've read that there are species out there that like a hole about 2mm across. ;)

When I spot some suitable stems I'll make another for the little bees, although I think the ones small enough for a 2mm hole only feed on harebells, and the nearest wild harebells to me are about a mile away, so not likely to get any tenants. Still, nothing venture nothing gain. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure