Whats the difference between contribution based or income based JSA

Options
Also, Do you have to ask for one of the two or do they decide?

Comments

• NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    JSA(C) is based on your NIC's while working and disregards anyone else that may be in your household. Pension Income is taken into account after a disregard of £50.

JSA(IB) takes into account savings, other income, other people in the household etc.
  • fluffymovie
    fluffymovie Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you make a claim for JSA, the Jobcentre will assess whether you need to claim for both.

JSA C is only paid for 26 weeks and can be paid to someone with a million quid in the bank if they meet the NI cont requirements.

JSA IB is based on your household income so that of you and any partner and can be ongoing. You normally move onto this after JSA C ends if you meet the conditions
    I currently manage a Housing Benefit service and have been working in Housing / council tax benefit (as was) since 2001.

All views expressed in my posts are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
  • Grimbo_Green
    Options
    Oh ok my OH is going for his first interview for JSA today. He has worked and paid NI since he left school 12 years ago so would that make him eligable for cont based?
    Thanks
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Options
    Oh ok my OH is going for his first interview for JSA today. He has worked and paid NI since he left school 12 years ago so would that make him eligable for cont based?
    Thanks
    Should do.
  • clb776
    clb776 Posts: 647 Forumite
    Options
    If he is already getting the interview then he would already have started the process for one of them. If he is married and you are working and earning a certain amount of money he won't get the income based one. If he has made enough NI contributions for the past 2 tax years (at the moment April 2007-April 2009) Then he will get Cont based JSA regardless of your income/savings etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure