PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

deletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletede letedeletedelete

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Washing machines for domestic use have been cold fill only for about ten years now...
    Most modern machines have an emergency drain hose behind a small hatch on the front panel. Once you drain the water to a safe level, the door will unlock.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • tom9980
    tom9980 Posts: 1,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've helped Parliament
    edited 8 September 2017 at 7:35PM
    To clarify.. we have been told 6 dates (for the hot water as well as the washing machine) where the guy didn't turn up. The 2 times he did turn up weren't even on the dates where we were told, he just turned up and we happened to be in. (Probably fixing various problems the other tenants are having in this building - from what I've heard there is a lot).. I don't see how it doesn't match up, I just kept it as short as I could to save everyone from reading an essay.
    At the end of the day, our rent isn't cheap on this place and as the white goods are integrated and included in our building, one would expect the service to work. Can anyone say they think it's fine to buy a service and not actually get the service??
    I've been called a MSE troll, and yet half the posters are trolling this thread.. seems I won't stick around these forums for very long. Is this poor culture normal on this forum?

1. I don't understand why a washing machine engineer would be visiting all the other tenants too? sounds like a general maintenance man to me, really not sure why you are calling him an engineer.

2. Read what i wrote again. "None of this was in your OP, it makes you look like yet another MSE troll." so no i didnt call you a troll, it is however very common for the argumentative types who troll to drip feed information to those who give their time to give free advice and opinion.

So once again i urge you to WRITE to your landlord. I would also suggest telling us the make and model of the washing machine and the error code, someone will help.
    When using the housing forum please use the sticky threads for valuable information.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    k3lvc wrote: »

Responses to you are probably such as they are due to the inability of a new generation of snowflakes to sort out the simplest of problems and seek to blame someone else

And chucking insults around by calling new posters snowflakes isn't a great way to welcome people to the forums.
    The OP may have missed some relevant information from their first post, but given that a presumably qualified engineer has failed to get into the machine then a YouTube video isn't likely to be any more successful is it?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 September 2017 at 11:22PM
    OP, as long as its been a week, it isn't too late to try and rescue the clothes. Google your machine, and 'won't open' .., just in case there are instructions on there that will help. You lose nothing by trying and could rescue your clothes. You might have had an engineer who didn't know what they were doing (it can happen).

As long as you don't have to take the back off or do something major, you will be ok. If the worst comes to the worst, tell us what the model is and we'll look it up and give you links (I will be happy to). I remember once having a machine that refused to wash, asked someone thinking it was a major repair, and was told to check a filter. At that time I didn't even know this could cause problems or where it was. But felt a bit of an idiot as it was actually a very easy thing to fix and now always put problems into google in case there's something I can do quite easily. More often than not there is or at least you will know what the problem is if you get an idiot engineer come round.

Then take your clothes round to a friend's or a launderette, wash them a couple of times with a good washing substance like Ariel that gets rid of stains and see what you can rescue. Its a lot less trouble than writing letters to the LL and waiting months for a helpful reply, if you ever get one.

You can also post the same thing herehttp://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So let's assume that indeed, there was no way you could have opened the door of the machine (which is clearly identified as included in the rental, with repairs the responsibility of the LL), evidenced by the fact that the engineer himself couldn't open it (odd, but never mind!).

A full wash load of clothes will cost a lot to replace.
    Now even assuming that somehow, you managed to get the LL to agree to compensate (because the rental agent certainly won't) rather than them telling you to use your household insurance, then good luck agreeing to the value of the damage!

The average load will have a couple of trousers/skirts, some shirts, maybe a jumper or two, nightwear and many socks and underwear. Most of these can be expected not to be new. So how are you going to work out what each items are worth taking into account W&T?

You would have to have a very naive LL to agree to give you anything more than £50. Is that value worth stressing him (from his perspective) and giving yourself a bad name so early in the rental period?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    What's the model No?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Contents insurance will they cover stuff like this?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • elsien wrote: »
    And chucking insults around by calling new posters snowflakes isn't a great way to welcome people to the forums.
    The OP may have missed some relevant information from their first post, but given that a presumably qualified engineer has failed to get into the machine then a YouTube video isn't likely to be any more successful is it?
    Doesn't sound like the "engineer" was qualified at all, just some odd job man.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    FBaby wrote: »
    So let's assume that indeed, there was no way you could have opened the door of the machine (which is clearly identified as included in the rental, with repairs the responsibility of the LL), evidenced by the fact that the engineer himself couldn't open it (odd, but never mind!).
    T
    As you rghtly say: "Let's assume...."

Just because a washing machine is provided by the landlord does not mean the landlord necessarily has to repair/maintain it. It's not included in his statutory repairing obligations (but might be covered by contractual obligations if the contract says so).

As for damage caused by the wm, that is slightly different, but would still be a veery uncertain legal claim.

Have you as yet reported the problem properly as advised? In writing to the LL at the correct address?
  • Narkynewt
    Narkynewt Posts: 118 Forumite
    deletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedeletedelete

Doing this won't delete the fact that you made a thread about how you locked your clothes in a washing machine and expected compensation from your landlord!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure