ESA new applicant advice

Unfortunately my terminal illness has gotten too bad for me to work, after being out of work for 2 years I have now decided to claim ESA. I have paid enough NI contributions to get contribution based, so I am now in the assessment phase. I applied on 1st March, I understand they dont pay you for the first 9 days, I received a payment of £31.33 on Thursday (16th). I'm due £73.10 per week, paid 2 weekly. So I dont understand that payment of £31.33 as I should be paid from the 10th March. When shall I next expect a payment and how much for? I'm about to send my medical assessment form so hopefully wont be waiting long in the assessment phase.

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you receiving PIP?
    See https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-claim-if-terminally-ill/

If you are suffering from cancer Macmillan have welfare advisers who could help with the application.
    http://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/organising/benefits-and-financial-support/benefits-and-your-rights

I'm afraid I can't help you with payment dates, but this might be useful:
    "If you have a terminal illness and are applying for ESA under the special rules:
    you should be placed in the ESA support group immediately
    the support component can be paid from the beginning of your Employment and Support Allowance award
    you can be paid from the date of your claim (without having to go unpaid during the first seven days, known as waiting days)"
    From https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/help/money/benefits-entitlements/living-with-terminal-illness/employment-support-allowance

The Support Group rate is £109.30. There may be additional disability premiums if you are entitled to income-based ESA.

With my best wishes.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    it is 7 waiting days and not 9.

you are being paid for part of a week probably around 3 days.
    your next payment should be 14 days after the initial payment and should be for the full amount.
    the day you are paid is set by your national insurance number and not the date of your claim
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Alice_Holt wrote: »

I'm afraid I can't help you with payment dates, but this might be useful:
    "If you have a terminal illness and are applying for ESA under the special rules:
    you should be placed in the ESA support group immediately
    the support component can be paid from the beginning of your Employment and Support Allowance award

I don't wish to seem insensitive but the definition of 'terminal illness' for immediate placement in the Support Group under Special Rules, is a terminal prognosis in the next 6 months. If that is not the case, despite being terminally ill, normal qualification processes apply.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Unfortunately my terminal illness has gotten too bad for me to work, after being out of work for 2 years I have now decided to claim ESA. I have paid enough NI contributions to get contribution based, so I am now in the assessment phase. I applied on 1st March, I understand they dont pay you for the first 9 days, I received a payment of £31.33 on Thursday (16th). I'm due £73.10 per week, paid 2 weekly. So I dont understand that payment of £31.33 as I should be paid from the 10th March. When shall I next expect a payment and how much for? I'm about to send my medical assessment form so hopefully wont be waiting long in the assessment phase.

If you haven't worked for two years how do you qualify for cotribution based? You also say though your illness has now got too bad to be able to work which sounds like you've just stopped working so these two statements contradict each other.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Sorry, to be EXACT I haven't worked for 19 months. The NI contributions go off the last 2 tax years, luckily I made my application before the upcoming tax year. Therefore I have enough contributions. I was on the sick for 9 months before finishing work all together, also.

I am terminally Ill, My illness will only get worse and not better but I don't have Cancer. I have Cystic Fibrosis

Thanks to those with information on the payment dates as I asked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport