job hunting

Options
My partner is leaving the army in dec and is starting to think about applying for jobs, sending cvs off etc. Has anyone got any tips or advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Trying_to_be_good
    Options
    Use all the MOD-provided support he can get his hands on. Is s/he leaving on redundancy? Is s/he entitled to the full resettlement package including Career Transition Partnership?
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • EmmEve
    EmmEve Posts: 260 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks. He's just plain old leaving (not redundancy) and has the full resettlement package. He's done several.courses and has one batch of elcs left now I think. Off to a job fair in july, has recently sent cvs to.some recruitment agencies.
  • Buellguy
    Buellguy Posts: 629 Forumite
    Options
    Re the job fair. What trade is he, the ones I went to when I left in 2012 were VERY specific about what trades they were after (e.g. British Aerospace were only after ex-tornado technicians who were willing to go to Saudi - that's it, no-one else!!! Caterpillar were after ex REME only that type of thing, meant I was a bit stuffed as ex military intelligence linguist (yep that old oxymoron military and intelligence LOL))
  • Atomix
    Atomix Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you in the south east?

if so there are jobs specifically for ex veterans here:

https://www.jobs4reservists.org.uk

there may be other areas of the country that have similar sites...
  • enginesuck
    enginesuck Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    What trade is he ? Write down his skills and qualifications and then compare to what careers in civvy street require those skills, then at least you have a starting point. Once you have decided on an area you are interested then book courses to compliment that job/career. Something will pop out ! I walked into a job paying more than double my forces salary with excellent benefits , but i planned in advance as to what i wanted to do.
  • madnlooney
    madnlooney Posts: 457 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    with his resetltlement there should be a CV wrting part and they will also help with getting his skills transfered into civvy street skills. When i left i found still alot of places wanted qualifications as well as experiance
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am leaving in 7 years, I am planning my exit now.

If anyone still serving reads this, I hint at doing the same or at least a plan.
  • Buellguy
    Buellguy Posts: 629 Forumite
    Options
    I am leaving in 7 years, I am planning my exit now.

If anyone still serving reads this, I hint at doing the same or at least a plan.

Exactly what you said.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport