PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renting our spare room - how much extra to charge for couples?

My boyfriend and I rent our 3 bedroom house off my mum who currently lives in Australia. She knows that even though she's only charging us cost price (mortgage and bills) to live here, we still can't afford it without a lodger, so we rent out the spare double bedroom.
We recently (last monday) had a new lodger move in, but yesterday he told me he's already going to be moving out in a week, because he's been offered a job in London that comes with accomodation.
The room has now been readvertised and has had interest from a couple (it's a double room but we've only had individuals living in it before). We are happy for a couple to move in and they are willing to pay extra for the room, however we don't know how much extra to charge. I tried looking for other rooms in the area advertising rooms for couples to see the difference in rent costs, but couldn't find any so I have no idea what is reasonable. £50, £75 per month? I really don't know.
To put it in perspective, single occupancy is advertised at £350pcm for fully furnished with all bills included, which is at the bottom end of average for the area.
Can anyone give any suggestions?
Thank you.

Comments

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Are you happy about renting to a couple?
  • poppysarah wrote: »
    Are you happy about renting to a couple?

One person would be preferable, but we aren't against a couple and in all honesty we can't afford to be picky - as long as they're nice and pay rent on time, that's good enough.
  • If you are determined to rent to a couple, and I would most definitely advise against it, I would add another 50% minimum onto the current quoted rent. Having another couple in your lives will add at least 150% more aggro. Almost guaranteed.
  • roses
    roses Posts: 2,330
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Split the bills 4 ways & charge 25% more rent. There are now 4 people using the bathroom, kitchen, living room etc instead of 3.
  • tbs624
    tbs624 Posts: 10,816 Forumite
    If you are determined to rent to a couple, and I would most definitely advise against it,..
    Could you expand on your reasons? It can be especially diffciult to have a couple as lodgers if there is only a single "LL" but the OP has said her boyfriend lives there too.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Huomenna wrote: »
    To put it in perspective, single occupancy is advertised at £350pcm for fully furnished with all bills included, which is at the bottom end of average for the area.
    I assume you know that if you charge more than £354 pcm (£4,250pa) you will be above the rent a room scheme threshold and will therefore have to pay tax on any money you get in excess of that.

you should factor that into your price increase as well as the fact they are a copule , I would not want to risk tax evasion...
  • Thank you for all the responses - lots of things to consider.

00ec25 - Yes I am aware of that - tax is already paid on the property as my boyfriend and I also pay a portion of rent each month which makes the total 'income' from the house well over £350pm
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you are determined to rent to a couple, and I would most definitely advise against it, I would add another 50% minimum onto the current quoted rent. Having another couple in your lives will add at least 150% more aggro. Almost guaranteed.
    I would second that opinion. If you want more income, let out both bedrooms to singles only.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • I have let rooms in my house for 12 years.

The problem with couples is the noise -- no not from sex lol, from chatting loudly late and night and in the mornings while getting reading for work, and if they are the fiery kind, the LOUD ARGUMENTS.

I would NEVER let to a couple again.
  • What about a 'same-sex' couple???
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills