I feel so stupid I bought car and it is cat c can't get insured

Options

Comments

• angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whilst it never used to be an issue to insure a previously written off car most insurers are now pulling out of this part of the market and refusing to quote for new business on written off cars so situation will become increasingly more common.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    angrycrow wrote: »
    Whilst it never used to be an issue to insure a previously written off car most insurers are now pulling out of this part of the market and refusing to quote for new business on written off cars so situation will become increasingly more common.

Do you have any actual evidence to back that up, or is it conjecture? My most recent experience of a colleague insuring his Cat C Focus was that he had no issue whatsoever, and wasn't asked at any point whether the car was a previous writeoff.
  • angrycrow
    Options
    Not conjecture I work in the industry and this is the current strategy of many insurers. The industry is getting very nervous following the recent rate change and the upcoming reforms plus constant increase to insurance premium tax pushing prices up.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not conjecture I work in the industry and this is the current strategy of many insurers. The industry is getting very nervous following the recent rate change and the upcoming reforms plus constant increase to insurance premium tax pushing prices up.

None of which has any relevance to insuring a cat c or d vehicle.

I have not heard of any insurers adopting this strategy.
  • debtdebt
    debtdebt Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options

The upcoming MOJ reforms are going to cut the amount paid out for minor injuries and the related costs massively. Do you know what you're talking about?
  • angrycrow
    Options
    debtdebt wrote: »
    The upcoming MOJ reforms are going to cut the amount paid out for minor injuries and the related costs massively. Do you know what you're talking about?

That's what they said about the original MOJ reforms. Look where that got us, even more claims. The current proposals only apply to whiplash injuries to the neck. Already medico legal experts are moving away from using the terminology whiplash. There is the suggestion to increase the small claims limit to £5000 but this only applies to motor claims not employer and public liability. Current solicitors costs on a whiplash claim are only £600 including vat legal firms will still need to take on the lower end work to get the higher value claims which they make the big money on.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's what they said about the original MOJ reforms. Look where that got us, even more claims. The current proposals only apply to whiplash injuries to the neck. Already medico legal experts are moving away from using the terminology whiplash. There is the suggestion to increase the small claims limit to £5000 but this only applies to motor claims not employer and public liability. Current solicitors costs on a whiplash claim are only £600 including vat legal firms will still need to take on the lower end work to get the higher value claims which they make the big money on.

And this affects Cat C cars because....?
  • an1179
    an1179 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have insured the car using online confused. as no reference is made to whether the car is a cat c/write off. Not sure whether the fact is considered to be something that should be discussed. As long as I don't have a claim and have to produce the V5 then all will be well.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    an1179 wrote: »
    I have insured the car using online confused. as no reference is made to whether the car is a cat c/write off. Not sure whether the fact is considered to be something that should be discussed. As long as I don't have a claim and have to produce the V5 then all will be well.

As I said, if they do not ask you are under no obligation to tell them.
  • Nobbie1967
    Nobbie1967 Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    an1179 wrote: »

If they don't ask about Cat C/D, they they don't need to know. It will only become an issue when you come to claim as the write off category will affect the valuation of your car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure