PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Evening everyone,
    Yesterday with my friends and family was lovely and not a late or boozy night:D but my word I'm a tired teddy today and of course did the usual run the gauntlet of hair washing and bed changing:o Looks like I'll have a houseful for Easter but everyone will pitch in so it shouldn't be too onerous and I'll prep bits in advance so it's all well-paced:)
    Not looking forward to Wednesday as it's crunch time work-wise so in reality I'll not be returning to my employer after 33 years which makes me very sad. :(It's a case now of trying to get ill-health retirement agreed, not easy, and probably unlikely as I've not been through all the treatment options yet so impossible to say if I'll be capable of work again.:mad: Financially this is the option but if that fails I'll an ok severance payment - not enough to take me until it is worthwhile to draw down my pension but no immediate money worries. Thankfully I have good equity in my home so selling up and clearing the mortgage should leave enough to buy a smaller place so I've various options if I need them :)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    Not looking forward to Wednesday as it's crunch time work-wise so in reality I'll not be returning to my employer after 33 years which makes me very sad. :(It's a case now of trying to get ill-health retirement agreed, not easy, and probably unlikely as I've not been through all the treatment options yet so impossible to say if I'll be capable of work again.:mad:
    I went through this back in 2001, having been signed off sick for the previous two years; they made it as awkward as they possibly could, in the hope that I'd give in and just resign; but I got the union involved, also the on-site doctor backed me up, and I did eventually get medical retirement.
    Best of luck with this; and lots of posi-vibes for Wednesday, I'll be thinking of you.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I walked away from my job in 2005, when life was unbearable and I was turning into the Undead lol
  • caronc
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I went through this back in 2001, having been signed off sick for the previous two years; they made it as awkward as they possibly could, in the hope that I'd give in and just resign; but I got the union involved, also the on-site doctor backed me up, and I did eventually get medical retirement.
    Best of luck with this; and lots of posi-vibes for Wednesday, I'll be thinking of you.
    Thany you - thankfully have a good TU rep :)
    mardatha wrote: »
    I walked away from my job in 2005, when life was unbearable and I was turning into the Undead lol
    Poor you - I'd like to go back if I could but because no one can say when that will be my employer wont sustain my absence any longer:(
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Caronc best of luck for Wednesday, that's going to be tough but maybe once you are through the process it'll be a weight of your mind and help in the long term.

I work for a council and they couldn't be better about my health issues. I'm lucky as my hours are flexible and I can work from home which is a blessing when I'm not my best. Part time hours have meant less money but have made a difference to how I function and get the job done. The extra time I have lets me be more money saving!

I still really enjoy my work and think I need it at the moment for my mental health. I dread the day I can't do it, so feel for you all who have had to give it up. That must be so frustrating and scary.

After feeling sorry for myself all weekend and getting absolutely nothing done I've pulled my socks up a bit today, reaped the benefit of extra rest and am back out of my shell again! I feel like a wobbly bami today, but pleased enough to have had some bounce back.

Looks like I'm needing some tweaks and changes of medicines. Does anyone else hate doing that?
  • caronc
    katkin wrote: »
    Caronc best of luck for Wednesday, that's going to be tough but maybe once you are through the process it'll be a weight of your mind and help in the long term.

I work for a council and they couldn't be better about my health issues. I'm lucky as my hours are flexible and I can work from home which is a blessing when I'm not my best. Part time hours have meant less money but have made a difference to how I function and get the job done. The extra time I have lets me be more money saving!

I still really enjoy my work and think I need it at the moment for my mental health. I dread the day I can't do it, so feel for you all who have had to give it up. That must be so frustrating and scary.

After feeling sorry for myself all weekend and getting absolutely nothing done I've pulled my socks up a bit today, reaped the benefit of extra rest and am back out of my shell again! I feel like a wobbly bami today, but pleased enough to have had some bounce back.

Looks like I'm needing some tweaks and changes of medicines. Does anyone else hate doing that?
    Thanks - I'm civil service and while they have been pretty decent in adjustments etc. unfortunately at the moment I'm just not fit enough and don't know when/if I will be so it's been coming for a while- doesn't make it any easier though...........

It's amazing what a bit of recharging your batteries can do :) Thankfully I'm on a fairly stable med regime now but it was murder at first my poor system didn't know what had hit it........

A bit of a mixed day today. It was lovely and sunny so decided to "air my wheels" just round the block, all was going well until I lost my balance stepping up a kerb and wrenched my back so am hobbling about :( Thank goodness for my rollator though or else I would have went my length. To avoid the stuffness setting in I decided to start re-arranging my kitchen/consevatory to better meet my needs has been both frustrating and satisfying, Frustrating as it took me most of the afternoon to clear/clean and rearrange a few surfaces as I kept having to rest but satisfying as it will be more me-friendly :D
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    caronc wrote: »
    Thanks - I'm civil service and while they have been pretty decent in adjustments etc. unfortunately at the moment I'm just not fit enough and don't know when/if I will be so it's been coming for a while- doesn't make it any easier though...........

It's amazing what a bit of recharging your batteries can do :) Thankfully I'm on a fairly stable med regime now but it was murder at first my poor system didn't know what had hit it........

A bit of a mixed day today. It was lovely and sunny so decided to "air my wheels" just round the block, all was going well until I lost my balance stepping up a kerb and wrenched my back so am hobbling about :( Thank goodness for my rollator though or else I would have went my length. To avoid the stuffness setting in I decided to start re-arranging my kitchen/consevatory to better meet my needs has been both frustrating and satisfying, Frustrating as it took me most of the afternoon to clear/clean and rearrange a few surfaces as I kept having to rest but satisfying as it will be more me-friendly :D

Civil service and LA's must be more sypathetic than a lot of employers, especially in the private sector. But I appreciate they also have policies and processes that we come to the edge with. It's difficult for them doing without experienced, long serving staff - I get that, but it still hurts when your health takes that out of your hands.

I really hope you get a decent deal for all those decades you've dedicated to the service.

Sounds like you've over done it! No wonder, it was lovely earlier X good for you tackling your environment at home. Any tips?

Best wishes caronc x
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Don't feel sorry for me lol I hated every minute of work and have never ever wanted to go back. I lie in bed and listen to the rush hour traffic on the A7 every morning and snigger :D
    I worked nights and all I can remember of that last year was dragging meself around with a horrible headache and collapsing into bed in the morning. Then we got a row from a boss and I snapped, had a real row with her and went on annual leave. Had a nice holiday and then went on the sick for 6 months, until they stopped paying me.
    Few years later my hubby got a new boss and hated her - he was stressed to hell and then had a heart attack, followed by a second bigger one. I hauled him out of work and onto Pension Credit - he wouldn't have been here today if he had stayed at work.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    katkin wrote: »
    I hated my job, but it was still horrible feeling like I was on the scrapheap at the age of 41.
    Ironically, I too was in the Civil Service, for 20 years; I worked for the Valuation Office to start with; went part time when my health started failing big-time; moved house and couldn't afford the travel back to Aylesbury so transferred to the MoD at Bicester but they'd only take me full time, so my health immediately deteriorated with doing full time hours again; eventually the Army doc backed my bid for medical retirement, which I got on both physical and mental health grounds.
    Nowadays I'm a carer for a dog-minding service, which I do with Mr LW's help, and it's great, I get canine company and I can feel like I'm doing something useful. Also, it's not day-in-day-out, there's often a gap between guests so I can catch my breath, so to speak.

Caronc all the very best for tomorrow, hun. x
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • caronc
    Evening all,
    A bit of a non-day today - think I over did it yesterday and my back/hip are still painful so apart from my physio & rehab exercises I've not done very much.
    I had a good chat with my TU rep and they are happy to support me as they think I have a case. I know the two local reps well (mainly from being the "Manager" in various staffing issues) so both are both are indirectly aware of how hard this has it me which really helps. I still can't quite shake the niggle that people think I'm "at it" (the misery of hidden conditions) despite all the medical testing proving the contrary and my GP who shall we say "doesn't miss and hit the wall" with malingers being 100% behind me.
    I'm actually feeling pretty calm about tomorrow though that might change in the "wee small hours" but I'm in a situation I can do nothing about health wise which I think helps:)

Hope everyone has had a decent day and thanks for the postive vibes x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport