Comments

• Fantastic result on the interest earned, well done :T
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you eating the elephant ,i am thrilled to bits with it
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Hi Try Harder - great interest payments. I am currently reshuffling and planning how to get the maximum interest next year - I love free money : )
  • try_harder
    Thank you .I shall be watching you and hopefully some of your success will rub off on me ,fingers crossed .Hope you had a wonderful weekend i cant believe its the weekend again tomorrow .
  • try_harder
    And yet another week over ,where does the time go ? This week my husband has worked very hard as usual and brought in several hours of overtime and i have met my £10 a day target or as i look at it averaging £70 per week so savings of £230 have been added to the Isa .It is so great to watch it grow it really helps to keep me motivated .Food budget kept at £46 for the week ,i made an inventory as suggested by others and it works brilliantly ,i have never been so organised before in my life .The down side is that i am coming nowhere close to my target of £1150 a month overpayments ,i am lucky if i hit £100 and i am slipping way behind on the mfw 2017 it is embarrassing ,i just dont know what i can do ,there is no way to make up this huge shortfall other than find a job so this is still on the cards i will give it another few months maybe until the end of summer and if i havent found a way of making money at home i will have to seriously consider finding a job .I have not worked for a lot of years so it will be hard but necessary .
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Morning Try Harder hope you are well. You are making good progress on the savings. I can't remember what your plan is - are you planning to use your savings to pay off your mortgage or are the savings to give you capital in retirement ? Do you have another means of paying off your interest only part of the mortgage- like pension lump sums ?I was just wondering whether you should switch your focus to overpaying the mortgage first or are your savings earning more than your mortgage interest rate ? Sorry that is a lot of questions.
    Either way a job would obviously help - if I was you though I would look for something that doesn't compromise the lifestyle that you enjoy so much and look for something casual and flexible ,even 2 or 3 hours per week would be additional cash that you can throw at the mortgage. A couple of friends of mine have taken very early retirement and have both picked up casual work by word of mouth - one does dog walking and the other does a couple of mornings admin work. It might be worth letting friends and family know that you are looking for something.
    The other thing we have done is talked to the kids about our financial situation and that we are now focusing on our own financial security so that we can retire early and therefore we won't be picking up the tab for meals out and we are cutting back on the cost of gifts etc. This is the thing I find the hardest and I am sure you will too. I think they have started to acknowledge though that their Dad particularly isn't getting any younger and will need to retire in the next few years.

Sorry a bit of a ramble on this morning- have a lovely weekend, the weather is forcast to be really good in most places I think and I hope you get spoilt on Sunday x
  • try_harder
    Morning Busy Mee1 ,you are as always very perceptive and so thoughtful .I felt very guilty after posting yesterday i felt i might have come across as being very greedy and ungrateful for what i have ,after all £230 a week is a huge amount to save and i am of course very ,very grateful to be so lucky and to have a wonderful husband who works so very hard and gives me every last penny that he earns ,as he always has for over 30 years .
    When i first started the diary i thought that i could do it all ,spend ,save and overpay but i have realised i cannot do all three ,i then decided to look at becoming mortgage neutral ,you helped me such a lot and reading your diary and others on here has motivated me no end .I have never had any savings before and now i have and i just love the feeling of security that gives me and how grateful i was this year when one of our cars had lots of problems and we were able to withdraw the money to buy another and also when we had the roof and fascias replaced .We have no pension saved and no other money to come from any other means that will pay off the interest only part of the mortgage so it will all have to be paid from what we can save in the next 10 years,my husband is 56 so i believe he has 11 years until retirement if he is able to work that long ,he is in a very physical job.I was hoping of course to save and overpay so that the mortgage would be cleared by the overpayments and the savings would be left for retirement but it is becoming more obvious that the savings will all be needed at the end of term to pay off the mortgage leaving us with nothing ,although i say nothing but we will have a very nice home of course .
    You are completely right about the family of course ,four of our children are financially secure and we have one son who still lives at home .You have hit the nail on the head ,i do spend lots and lots of money on them all and on my grandchildren ,they dont want it they all just take things to please me ,i have two more birthdays this year and then i am going to stop ,i really will then at christmas time all gifts will be on a small scale ,i have been thinking about it and truly will do it this year.Thank you Buy Mee1 for helping me to see more clearly ,it is so nice to have someone to talk to regarding money ,i say nothing to all my friends and family they have all paid their mortgages off years ago so would be completely shocked to find out i still have one i know .I think a job is definitely needed so will wait until the end of the summer and look then if nothing crops up earlier ..Thank you and you too ,your children have a very thoughtful and wise mother ,we are all going to my youngest daughters for the evening so no cooking for me tomorrow ,it is beautiful here too and we have a big party to go to today so no cooking today either come to think of it ,how lovely .
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hey TRyHarder, any OP/ savings is better than none! I'm aiming for £75 OP a month and to save £300 a month. Whilst it's not £1000's it will put me in a better place financially in a short timeframe :D

Keep up the hard work and do give yourself a break!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,874 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hey TH, I hope you had a good weekend and were spoilt by your children! :) I agree with BusyMee - if you start looking now for something now that might suit you (dog walking etc.), it could be a smaller and more flexible form of employment than trying to get a job later in the year. Sounds like it would be a great way to boost your income though! :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• try_harder
    Today i have been on the mfw trail for a year .What have accomplished this year .My mortgage began at around £170,400 and is now £165,738 although interest will be added at the end of the week,Sub account one was paid off ,i think the figure was just over a thousand .Sub account two is my next target and stands at £11,320 today ,this is the account all my overpayments go directly to .Savings today stand at £10000 ,this is incredible for me ,someone who has never saved in her life ,it would have been higher but payment for a car and roof repairs came out of the pot .So to round up £165,738 owing £10,000 savings means in real terms £155,738 owing if paid in today making £14,662 paid off or saved towards the mortgage .What a great year its been and a big thank you to everyone on here for their help and advice .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure