Energy Misselling successes

Options

Comments

• sheilyboots123
    Options
    Two years ago when someone came to my door promising cheaper gas/electric, I could cancel within 14 days if I changed my mind.

When hubby came home and told me E.ON were dearer than I was paying british gas. I wrote to them straight away and cancelled, next day my letter sorry you are not happy with us we have cancelled for you.

About 6 weeks later a bill from british gas and a letter saying sorry you decided to leave us. I phoned them up to say I am still with you, they said you are with E.ON.

I wrote to E.ON who investigated my complaint and could not find my cancellation letter or their reply to me, such a big company as E.ON I don't think so.
    I unfortunately had lost my letter from them so I had to pay them £140. I went to the ombudsman who said no letter, nothing we can do.
    A painful letter to me not to switch and do keep all letters.
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Options

I wrote to E.ON who investigated my complaint and could not find my cancellation letter or their reply to me, such a big company as E.ON I don't think so.
    I unfortunately had lost my letter from them so I had to pay them £140. I went to the ombudsman who said no letter, nothing we can do.
    A painful letter to me not to switch and do keep all letters.

Possibly given the timings only a lesson for others. If trying to pin *any* company down on "correspondence" or "customer contact", consider submitting a Subject Access Request requiring provision of *all* customer data held, including copy correspondence, emails, file notes and call recordings and/or transcripts. Costs the applicant £10, the company an administrative fortune and there is every chance they will shoot themselves in the foot by revealing inconsistencies in their records.
  • susi
    susi Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt very much my son has a claim as we have already gone down the road of trying without any luck but here is an outline of what happened to him and this combined with the slow economy has lead to the failure of his business. As a newcomer to business he set up a salon in 2005 signed a contract with bizz energy to supply his electric and paid by direct debit every month. This went on for 3 years then he got a bill from EON for over £9,000. He hadnt a contract with EON in fact he had never spoken to anyone from the company previous to this so we were sure it was a mistake especially as the bill was dated from 2003 (the property had been empty for a couple of years before he renovated it). EON apparently had been supplying his electric (even though they hadnt been authorised to by my son or indeed his landlord). So he contacted Bizz who were looking into who they were actually supplying (and my son had been paying bills for) but said they were cancelling his contract while they were investigating, my son argued that he didnt want the contract cancelling but they did anyway. British Gas took over from bizz but because they cancelled my sons contract no details were forwarded on to BG. We have been down may routes including going to see our local MP but because EON had supplied the electric my son had to pay back the money (minus an amount from the 2 years he was billed but wasnt in the property). We still dont know who's bills my son paid for the three years and eventually my son gave up, between paying the money back and the slump in the economy his business was barely making anything, he suffered from depression mainly due to the stress of all this and closed his salon still left to pay the bill to EON, which has now been paid in full. How can something like this happen, surely EON cant supply without a contract or any verbal authorisation???? I feel there has bee a major !!!! up by someone and my son has had to bare the brunt of it through no fault of his own. Would like to hear any opinions????
  • susi
    susi Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry think I have posted in the wrong place, is this for success stories?????? Oooops!!!
  • traz39
    traz39 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    does anyone else have a prepayment meter that takes money from u everytime u charge it up mine does british gas say its because i use my emergency credit and it cost more any advice please
  • Mugget
    Mugget Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    traz39 wrote: »
    does anyone else have a prepayment meter that takes money from u everytime u charge it up mine does british gas say its because i use my emergency credit and it cost more any advice please

Mine does that too and have never got a straight answer from any of my supply companies about it. Also according to eon my power should not go off during the night but it does! Also is i put the emergancy on when there is a few pence left on it I lose those few pence when it goes into emergancy.
    Get talk to like a idiot whenever i have called about it. Edf were just as bad!
  • doc-mike
    Options
    we joined First Utility in May 09 for gas & electrricity supplies, but they didn't bill us until August. They then billed us for electricity on 2 electricity meters (we only have 1) plus gas and continued to do so until December 10 even though we rang them and emailed them many times to tell them about it (they promised on each occasion to change the billing but NEVER did). After Dec 09 we got fed up with them not doing anything and told them we would stop our DD in the (vain) hope that it would trigger them into action and they would correct the billing (we always undertook to pay a correct bill). No chance.
    After a further 8 months we tried to transfer away, expecting that when a final bill was issued we would then settle up and things would be OK. No chance.
    They kept hanging on to the electricity MPAN on the connected meter - even though the Ombudsman had been involved and proposed a solution to which we both agreed. After placing a blog on the CEO's website blog (about how their customer service were completely incompetent) F-U eventually phoned me and proposed to negate our years bill! Success!
    They negated our years' worth of electicity charges (~£1000) and offered compensation - initially this was £60. We left them in December 10, yet they have continued to tell us that our "latest account was available on their website" - which it wasn't as they had blocked my access!
    Because of these continued emails saying our bill was available, I cheekily emailed them recently to say that "on their website they resolve to pay £20 for each complaint that was not resolved within 10 working days" and said they should be paying me 10x£20 for the number of complaints (over a period of 7 months) I have made, and where they had not resolved my problem. They have offered me £50 to date. Even though I left them 9 months ago!
    The strange thing is that I received a summons from a solicitor for the sum of £40 outstanding on our bill, in March this year. After contacting the solicitor and telling them that F-U had proposed negating our bill, this case has been dropped. :rotfl:
  • jaydenharley
    Options
    hi moved to southern electric from a cold call around 3 years ago.
    We were previously with Scottish power. We were advised by the cold call that we would save money and even produced to prove our direct debits would be cheaper each month.

How wrong they were, after being with Southern Electric for around 12 months we were actually £500 in debt. We did complain about 6 months into the start of this "contract" but were told by there CS dept. (phonecall only) sorry, you were misinformed, but you still have to pay.

We have since moved to Eon about 18 months ago

Can we claim back from Southern Electric even though this was over 2 years ago and we are no longer with them. ?.

Many thanks
    Theresa
  • grudz
    grudz Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi moved to southern electric from a cold call around 3 years ago.
    We were previously with Scottish power. We were advised by the cold call that we would save money and even produced to prove our direct debits would be cheaper each month.

How wrong they were, after being with Southern Electric for around 12 months we were actually £500 in debt. We did complain about 6 months into the start of this "contract" but were told by there CS dept. (phonecall only) sorry, you were misinformed, but you still have to pay.

We have since moved to Eon about 18 months ago

Can we claim back from Southern Electric even though this was over 2 years ago and we are no longer with them. ?.

Many thanks
    Theresa

I'm in the same boat and would like some info on if it's worth chasing up. As it was a few years ago, I just lumped it and got rid of docs and am still paying off £500+ worth of underpayments.
  • katherine31
    katherine31 Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 17 August 2011 at 10:04PM
    Options
    I arrived home yesterday to fnd a letter from EDF saying 'we don't want to see you go'. As I have never spoken,emailed or written to another supplier I was perplexed. When I phoned them to ask what it was about they said that Eon had requested the transfer.

I then questioned how was this possible when they did not have any verbal or signatory evidence of the proposed transfer. The reply was it could have been done on-line. I obviously re-iterated my orignal question about evidence.

For those of you looking at the forum I only use EDF for Electricity. I use ECO 20:20.

After going on EDF website tonight, I find that not only can I not find all the tariff prices, but cannot even call up the ECO 20:20 prices and increases in prices (was able to do this before). Unless EDF acknowledge otherwise, I am starting to believe that the letter I received was a hoax from them, another sales strategy as their electricity is now with UK Power Networks.

I think this may be applying to people in London, South East and East.

Anyone out here that this has happened to?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback