Options
2»

Comments

• dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    whilst it is common in the modern world to seek to blame others, responsibility for checking tax codes rests with your husband. His employers responsibility is limited to processing the info they are given. The validity of the info is your husbands's responsibility. If you do not understand why the various codes have been issued over time then you need to sort it out with HMRC

the role of the company is to apply the tax code they are given, the company is not responsible for checking it is the "correct" code since they have no info whatsoever on the full personal circumstances of the tax payer to decide what the code should be.

Either the employee gives a code to the employer (eg: P45 form handed over) or HMRC notifies the employer through "the system". Where HMRC notifies in such manner they send a coding notice to the taxpayer so the taxpayer can check it for themselves before it hits their payslip. Naturally very few taxpayers bother to do so, and many probably bin the code notice as they don't know what it is, until they are chased for extra tax
    This ^^^

Given the changes coming from the end of this month which mean in year underpayments (previously called potential underpayments/PUP's) created by changes to tax codes (mainly due to changes in benefits in kind but also due to other causes, incorrect codes operated, failure to hand in P45's, and due to duplicated allowances) will be collected in the tax year they arise rather than left until the next tax year, it will be essential that people start to read and understand their tax code notices.

Failure to do so could, in extreme circumstances, mean that the first time people are aware of such changes is when a very large amount of tax is deducted (upto 50% of weekly/monthly taxable pay) from their pay.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • Missmac84
    Missmac84 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Is that what is happening for my husband then? With his tax free allowance being so low for this year?

Thanks for the replies.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you checked with them that they don't think he is still working 2 jobs. A delay in job 2 showing him as left could cause a problem especially as it was so close to the end of the tax year.
  • Missmac84
    Missmac84 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Badmemory:

After lots of calls to the tax office - that's exactly what it was. The tax office had all the P45's etc but because job 1 company was taken over just before he was made redundant - HMRC thought he was working for two companies even though both names of the company showed on his P45.

Anyway, long story short, instead of £1850 owes, it is in fact only £46.

Thanks to all for your help - I'll make sure my husband takes more notice of payslips and tax codes from now on xx
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Missmac84 wrote: »
    But and this is where the problem lies, all payslips were online.....

I'm not sure why you think this is a problem (although it seems you're not alone in thinking so given what people say in other threads). Having payslips online is very common, and I've never come across any employer that doesn't give it's employees access to them, so all you need to do is log on the check. Why wouldn't you do that every month just as you would check a paper payslip?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think this is a problem

No access to old company's on line portal once he had left its employ?
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    No access to old company's on line portal once he had left its employ?

That may be the case, but there's nothing to stop them being viewed when an employee, and I've yet to come across as system that doesn't allow you to print and/or download the payslip. And clearly the OP did have access because one payslip with that employer was seen.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But and this is where the problem lies, all payslips were online..... apart from his last one which then bizarrely shows a tax code of 2038T/0

Access to portal closed so paper salary chit provided?
  • agrinnall
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Access to portal closed so paper salary chit provided?

Maybe, but we may never know...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport