Im new and need support!

Comments

• Well I call it BP normally but most dont know that so i use the term Manic depression online alot. How do you get £200???

Ah, ok, cool. Well, I have a social worker who visits every few weeks just to make sure things are ok as I was in hospital for 3 months when I was first diagnosed a couple of years ago. I go to outpatient appointments etc, am on meds when not preggy - might have something to do with the extra amount? I also claim dla - both types, different rates, comes to about £225 a month. Look up your local mental health team. They might be able to give you advice?
  • climbgirl wrote:
    One thing about the bi-polar disorder...I understand about the urge to spend when you're "high", I lived with a housemate who had this and when he was "high" he would order crazy amounts of things like dvds and cds and have them delivered to the house, thousands and thousands of pounds worth at a time. He of course had no real understanding of what he was doing at the time.

The only way he really found to deal with it was to had all control of his money and cards etc over to his parents (he moved home eventually). By having no access to any form of money apart from the cash they'd give him from his wages, and by signing over power of attorney to them he had no way to spend crazy amounts when he was up. Not very pleasant but it was the only way he had to stop himself from getting into financial trouble.

Is that an option for you, perhaps giving control to your partner? It might help prevent the debt from getting any worse.

Yeah, I went on a mad spending spree before the xmas I was retained in hospital. The only way to curb further spending was for my ex partner to give all my cards etc to my dad, and I wasn't allowed near the Internet. Yes, it was most upsetting, especially when I couldn't understand what was going on, but they only did what was best for me at the time. I wouldn't give control over to your partner, maybe to a blood family member - I split up with my ex during this bad time, and he tried to screw me over where our joint account was concerned etc. Thanks to my dad he rang the bank, and they had to freeze it as I was mentally ill.
  • I have a psychiatrist, CPN, cureently trying to claim DLA. I shut my account last year when I got ill, and my partner only had access to the other account.

I get my tax credits in a giro so I have that only each month to spend on shopping and the rest my partner gives me.

Hopefully DLA will come through too.

Thanks everyone for your support!
    Lightbulb moment 27-11-06
    Debt at highest £25470.85 _pale_

Currently awaiting CCCS Plan.

Proud to be dealing with my debt!
  • Hi and welcome. Can you let us have the repayment amounts your creditors are asking. There is also no car tax, mot, maintenance and no water. Thanks
  • I have a psychiatrist, CPN, cureently trying to claim DLA. I shut my account last year when I got ill, and my partner only had access to the other account.

I get my tax credits in a giro so I have that only each month to spend on shopping and the rest my partner gives me.

Yeah, I have all those too. Well good luck with your dla, I had to appeal, most people do. Having someone to fill it in with you makes a difference. I can't wait to enrol in child benefit/tax credits, won't be eligible for working tc though coz of my partner... all this form filling in does your head in.

firstly :grouphug:
    and well done for posting on here. There's loads of helpful peolpe on here who should be able to point you in the right direction. (they'll probably all appear later on tonight)

Double check you're getting the right amount of IB, have a quick look here
    http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/dev_008025.xml.html
    Not knowing how long you've been claiming etc, you may be entitled to long term basic plus an age addition. If in doubt give your benefits office a ring

Also well done for applying for DLA, the paper work's really daunting but if you can get it it'll make a massive impact on your circumstances.

Goodluck x
    "A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist." Franklin Jones
  • Im getting the right IB benefits, im sure of that as my MP was assisting me for a bit with it, as they cocked it up something royal (as usual) I am 24.

I had the DLA forms for a year beofre attempting them, in the end CAB did it with me then I still couldnt face sending them in, I did it a few days ago online finally, when I decided to bite the bullet. Im hoping its enough as I am very ill alot of the time, however I am ready for the appeal as chances are I will have to!

Edit now to add car and water (I live in SW so its high too!)

Repayments are a tricky one as all but a couple are with DCA's so Im currently not repaying anything on almost all of them execept 1 cap 1 card which we try to pay off in full every month but spend again on it (the one with £230 on it currently) and the HPI on car is £153 pm.

Thank you so much for all your kindness.

• No probs. I'm 26 :)

Our water is unmetered. It's £40 a month. Is it as high as that?
  • mines about £30 metered im sure. added that to the figures anywho...x

• Just found the thanks button too..cheers peeps! Looks like our income will go up from beg Jan to £1500 before tax/NI so after tax an increase of perhaps £200 pm which is great news.

So hard to budget when the figures keep changing though!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business