PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    sitesafe wrote: »
    ... there's even a section for one person shopping list for the week (although it's not very exciting that particular list) but we could adapt the others...
    I looked at that - and laughed. Somebody who doesn't live alone trying to write a "for one" list and failing miserably.

Jack M also tried to do some "for one" and failed pretty miserably.... before petering out.

The thing is - "for one" is very very personal. You can eat "what you like", so if a 30p jar of jam and a 40p loaf fit the budget, you can do it :)

Nobody can write meal planners for other people, unless those other people are "just like them". Food is very personal when it comes to "just one" because there's "just one" and so we'll just put on the list what we like, even if it is fish finger sandwiches and crisp sandwiches.... so they're not the sort of thing people would tend to "wish to publish publicly", if that makes sense.

I could write lots of "for one" weekly food planners .... but nobody eats like me, so I can't see who'd be interested.

Everybody's different, has different shops, different likes/dislikes. Lots of the "cheap eating" on this site involves some nasty things (lentils!!) ... and porridge, courgettes, mushrooms and other nasty veggies :)

I've never seen anybody prepare any "list of food" that I'd personally eat.

From your list of meals you've eaten today I'd pass on: porridge, yogurt, almonds, sweet potato, spinach. Never eaten them, don't want to.

I also don't have a great selection of spices/etc as, again, one is constrained by what one already likes/buys and what's simply not going to all be used up "in time" before they deteriorate/go off. e.g. from your list I'd not use chilli, lime zest and a little juice, ginger or garlic.

I eat most food "very plain", 1960s style.
  • PasturesNew
    caronc wrote: »
    ...real butter
    I don't recall any real butter ever entering our house. Ever.

We used Stork bricks for everything. Sandwiches, frying in a frying pan, roast potatoes, chips, baking. Everything was Stork.
    small amount of cassis poured over the bread
    There are some posh people about .... I'll have to google that to see what cassis is.

Back... right, it's a blackcurrant liqueur. Never knew it existed. Looking at it, it's more than a week's food budget, for a bottle of booze. I am not a drinker, I don't bother with it.
  • I looked at that - and laughed. Somebody who doesn't live alone trying to write a "for one" list and failing miserably.

Jack M also tried to do some "for one" and failed pretty miserably.... before petering out

From your list of meals you've eaten today I'd pass on: porridge, yogurt, almonds, sweet potato, spinach. Never eaten them, don't want to.

I also don't have a great selection of spices/etc as, again, one is constrained by what one already likes/buys and what's simply not going to all be used up "in time" before they deteriorate/go off. e.g. from your list I'd not use chilli, lime zest and a lit
    I had to chuckle to myself here - I LOVE all food and would much rather eat things that have always appealed to me but this is part of my personal challenge - I am interested in nutrition and trying to get the right amounts of vits and minerals in my diet within a £30 a week budget and without freezer so it gets a bit boring as I like variety but find I'm having repeat meals so try to use ingredients to make things a bit more exciting. I find that a lot of 'healthy' foods need to be made more encouraging for me while I'm quite new to this trial so herbs, spices to make things more interesting...otherwise i will lose intereste. I thought the site was useful to take bits from, not follow it word for word, as you pointed out people have different tastes. There were some things on there that I wouldn't have wanted myself - jam on toast for breakfast would not keep me going long enough. Yesterday was different kettle of fish - I polished off a whole bar of Galaxy and 3 packets of crisps yesterday...all in budget...not very nutritious
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Well B&B pudding was generally special treat as my mum used eggs & real butter LOL so she obviously thought it should be celebrated:) Still in true cooking for one mode you can have whatever your heart desires with it so get rockin' gal :cool: (would just point out a small amount of cassis poured over the bread or used to soak the fruit before the egg mix is added is particularly delicious :D)

Ohhhh Wow Caronic, never tried cassis, but have some Brandy, lol never thought a cooking for one thread would lead this old lady into such adventures.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    I looked at that - and laughed. Somebody who doesn't live alone trying to write a "for one" list and failing miserably.

Jack M also tried to do some "for one" and failed pretty miserably.... before petering out.

The thing is - "for one" is very very personal. You can eat "what you like", so if a 30p jar of jam and a 40p loaf fit the budget, you can do it :)

Nobody can write meal planners for other people, unless those other people are "just like them". Food is very personal when it comes to "just one" because there's "just one" and so we'll just put on the list what we like, even if it is fish finger sandwiches and crisp sandwiches.... so they're not the sort of thing people would tend to "wish to publish publicly", if that makes sense.

I could write lots of "for one" weekly food planners .... but nobody eats like me, so I can't see who'd be interested.

Everybody's different, has different shops, different likes/dislikes. Lots of the "cheap eating" on this site involves some nasty things (lentils!!) ... and porridge, courgettes, mushrooms and other nasty veggies :)

I've never seen anybody prepare any "list of food" that I'd personally eat.

I also don't have a great selection of spices/etc as, again, one is constrained by what one already likes/buys and what's simply not going to all be used up "in time" before they deteriorate/go off. e.g. from your list I'd not use chilli, lime zest and a little juice, ginger or garlic.

I eat most food "very plain", 1960s style.

I do think you are being rather harsh on Jack Monroe, she didn't ever do a just for one, she was a single Mum with very little money and made her blog about her own particular circumstances.

Theres not a one size fits all for singletons, you have always been single, others like me were married and had a family, were single again, in my case for over 20 years, when I was 70 decided to join a dating site and met the lovely man I have been dating for 18 months, he lives a 100 mile from me so only see him weekends,
    I do think I have the best of both worlds, am single all week but have something to look forward to at weekends.
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    meg72 wrote: »
    ... she didn't ever do a just for one ...
    It wasn't that bit, she dabbled with other stuff too and a couple of those "other things" involved her shopping/cooking for one ... and I think she just drifted off and never completed that section as she wasn't good at it.
    meg72 wrote: »
    ... she was a single Mum with very little money and made her blog about her own particular circumstances.
    I'll have to bow out of this discussion at this point. There's more to it if you dig around just a little..... and it's the obfuscation that angers me.

This thread's far too nice for my "expose rant" :)
  • meg72
    It wasn't that bit, she dabbled with other stuff too and a couple of those "other things" involved her shopping/cooking for one ... and I think she just drifted off and never completed that section as she wasn't good at it.

I'll have to bow out of this discussion at this point. There's more to it if you dig around just a little..... and it's the obfuscation that angers me.

This thread's far too nice for my "expose rant" :)
    Ok am intrigued now will have a dig around
    Slimming World at target
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!

I'm with you on this one but Jack M's fans can be quite, well, fanatical. You only have to look at Amazon to see how the negative reviews of her books are jumped on and challenged. Many believe she can do no wrong... it's a bit too 'Scientology' for me.
    :hello:
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've heard of Jack Monroe but that's about all I know...the name. I have never read any of her 'stuff' but I am intrigued now and I, for one, would absolutely love to hear your thoughts on her PN.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone
    Shan't jump on the Jack M debate except to say I find some of her recipes very good particulary from the early days. Agree some of her followers can be a bit evangelical I'm not one of them only interested in the grub:D

I really enjoyed my dhal last night and I'm pleased there are two portions left to be frozen:)

For lunch I'm going to hard boil an egg and have it with yesterday's LO marie rose sauce on lettuce and dark rye bread. Tonight - I've kept back some of the bacon bits I boiled for soup and going to have them with pasta mushrooms and red pepper. So a real use up bits kind of day or that's the plan at the moment which works well as I need to do some cleaning before my friend comes tomorrow:o so won't have much energy left for food prep.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure