Comparing loans - or at least trying!

Mjkpio
Mjkpio Posts: 54 Forumite
Hi, Can someone who is cleverer than I please help me understand which of the following loans is potentially best?

I pay £399.45/month car finance @10.5%. The balloon payment is due in September so I am looking to pay this off now, save a bit on interest, but mainly aiming to reduce my monthly costs and own the car (which I'm not planning on changing any time soon).

Loan Option 1: Sainsburys - £8,000/36months
Advertised @ 2.9%APR... actual 7.3%
+ 2 month "holiday" (amounting to 2x£399.45 "saved" in first 2 months)
Interest: £1,006.48
Total: £9,006.48 over 38 months
Monthly £250.18

Loan Option 2: Halifax - £8,500/36months
Advertised @ 3.3%APR... actual 5.9%
Interest: £773.96
Total: £9,273.96 over 36 months
Monthly £257.61

Because of the 2month holiday vs the extra £500 and different %APR rates etc I'm not sure whether Sainsburys or Halifax is better?!

Thanks in advance.
Save/Pay for wedding & honeymoon by Aug 18 = COMPLETED!
Debt free by Dec 2018 = TBD
Savings Target by July 2019 = £20,000

2016 Goal = Buy a house with 10% deposit : COMPLETED!
2017/18 Goals = Pay off Student Loan (COMPLETED!) & Car Loan

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My calculations show Halifax as the better deal if you did a like for like £8k
  • Money_Rollercoaster
    Money_Rollercoaster Posts: 247 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2017 at 1:39PM
    Do you need really need that extra £500 from Halifax? It's costing you about £45 in interest over the term ...

The Halifax is definitely the better deal ...

You're paying it off quicker
    You only pay 9.1% in total interest on the overall sum borrowed (Sainsbury is 12.6%)

You might consider going back to Sainsbury and asking them to beat the Halifax APR ...

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2012/05/08/sainsburys-launches-mostly-meaningless-price-promise/

https://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/borrowing/bor_borrowing_zone (expand the bit about price promise guarantee)
    174 BPM >> CC Balance (0%) -£3,565.99 - Target DFD Dec 2017 >> Loan (Car) (3.1%) -£19,803.74 - Target DFD Nov 2020
  • Mjkpio
    Do you need really need that extra £500 from Halifax? It's costing you about £45 in interest over the term ...

The Halifax is definitely the better deal ...

You're paying it off quicker
    You only pay 9.1% in total interest on the overall sum borrowed (Sainsbury is 12.6%)

You might consider going back to Sainsbury and asking them to beat the Halifax APR ...

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2012/05/08/sainsburys-launches-mostly-meaningless-price-promise/

https://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/borrowing/bor_borrowing_zone (expand the bit about price promise guarantee)

Thanks.
    Well the amount I need to pay off is about £8477... that £477 I can take from savings or from the loan.

I think the idea of the 2 months "holiday" was quite attractive as I could build up £800 of saved car payments, which could be handy for savings/anything else... but in the long run I think I agree the Halifax would be a better deal.

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wait, stop, hammer time.

How much savings do you have there? Is it above the 1k needed for emergencies? If so - why not use this instead of taking out a loan and paying interest on it?
  • Mjkpio
    Arleen wrote: »
    Wait, stop, hammer time.

How much savings do you have there? Is it above the 1k needed for emergencies? If so - why not use this instead of taking out a loan and paying interest on it?

Yes, but not nearly enough. Plus it's allocated for decorating (in progress) new flooring (in progress) and whatever's left is going in the wedding fund... everything seemed to happen all at once over the last few months! Trust me, the loan IS needed :)

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mjkpio wrote: »
    Yes, but not nearly enough. Plus it's allocated for decorating (in progress) new flooring (in progress) and whatever's left is going in the wedding fund... everything seemed to happen all at once over the last few months! Trust me, the loan IS needed :)
    I'm even more curious now as of whether it is really needed. In the end this is your debt and your life, but as I see your signature I wonder why do you want to get into more debt when you are so close to being debt free? Cannot the wedding fund turn into a dinner for close friends and family at local restaurant, which will set you back about 50 quid per head?
  • Mjkpio
    Arleen wrote: »
    I'm even more curious now as of whether it is really needed. In the end this is your debt and your life, but as I see your signature I wonder why do you want to get into more debt when you are so close to being debt free? Cannot the wedding fund turn into a dinner for close friends and family at local restaurant, which will set you back about 50 quid per head?

PM'd :)
    And trust me, that's not gonna fly with the other half!

• Mjkpio
    Actually, after a bit more manipulation and maths the Sainsbury's offer still works out better (by 0.5%!)

The 2 month holiday will save me £798.90, but the loan amount is short £477 of what I need.
    So... 798.90-477=321.90
    That remaining £321.90 can be marked against the loan interest... 1006.48-321.90=684.58
    And to get the % of the loan that is interest... 684.58/8000*100=8.55%

To compare...
    773.96/8500*100=9.11%

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    I'm confused, how can the 2 month holiday save £400pm if the monthly payments are £250

Also, have you calculated that the interest may still be added onto the loan for the holiday despite you not paying for it at the time?

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Mjkpio wrote: »
    And trust me, that's not gonna fly with the other half!

Then I suggest you put off the wedding, until the debt has been cleared, and you have saved enough money, to pay for the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure