Fischer Storage Heaters

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    If you were contemplating spending £10k - albeit reluctantly - I would bite the bullet and get full oil fired central heating(I assume gas is not available.)

Get some quotes and in particular see if the radiators are correctly sized for each room. Depending on what is required you might get a tank and system for £5k or so.
  • Thanks Cardew. Yes, gas not available.

Somehow it seems like a step backwards installing oil when newer 'green' things are being talked about and oil seems old fashioned in comparison... but my priority is obviously a working system that I can afford to get installed and then run and not have continuing issues with all the time- feeding that stove is like having a second baby at times, it needs constant attention!

I liked the idea of the other heaters as there was no mess involved in install etc but I guess when something seems to good to be true then it is.....appreciate the advice thanks.
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 March 2017 at 2:18PM
    poppity wrote: »

The previous owner had used electric storage heaters in the past, I assume, as its an economy 7 meter, hence my interest in the 'new' 'future' heaters (!). I gather from reading this thread that putting back in Dimplex or other night storage heaters might be my best option for heating but I have two things I'm stuck on if anyone could help:

I assume the storage heaters are no longer in situ? If that is so, then indeed, these would be the best immediate solution. As you are now aware, they are the cheapest all electric way of heating a property.

However, if you had the funds, and were prepared to spend 10k, I would agree with Cardew regarding the installation of a modern oil fired boiler.

Unless you have Gas available to install, the is the next best/most efficient solution. It will be cheaper to run than electricity, greener than electricity (if you take into account the efficiency of the national grid). It will also be more convenient to use than storage heaters and should improve the value of the property (in some way compensating for the initial outlay).

Your view may be coloured by oil boilers of old. Modern oil fired boilers can be A rated and are produced by some of the major manufacturers.

There are of course downsides, but....everything has it's pros/cons.
  • EJB
    EJB Posts: 9 Forumite
    Thank you for your comments.
    They have confirmed all my initial reactions.
    After reading the blurbs and listening to a presentation it was obviously designed to be closed in one visit.
    Very scary to think what could have happened if myself and my better half were not there!

She now has a sensible choice of local estimates to upgrade the gas CH...below £4k.

PS. The quote was for full installation and removal of all the gas CH system.
    As a finishing thought....I didn't realise that Fischer systems used mainly electricity from wind farms.
    There were many similar comments but boredom prevailed.

Thanks again.:)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    EJB wrote: »
    As a finishing thought....I didn't realise that Fischer systems used mainly electricity from wind farms.

I take it that was a verbal statement by the salesman??
  • Unless they own their own windfarm and only the wind energy amount they generate is sold its one more claim without any evidence. Considering the cost of dirty materials, manufacturing, transport and the fact that they only produce @ 20% of their rating while we pay for them and 100% of the legislated back up per kWh needed its the usual 'green' marketing.

Today as I write this wind is making a mere 2.3 of the UK's 38.6 gW needs according to gridwatch, all these years all that pointless taxpayer money and gas & nuclear are still doing 90% of the UK's needs.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    all these years all that pointless taxpayer money and gas & nuclear are still doing 90% of the UK's needs.

I don't think this is the place to discuss all the pointless taxpayer's money spent on nuclear, and the money that will have to be spent on decommissioning, even if we did get a few bombs out of it..
  • I don't think this is the place to discuss all the pointless taxpayer's money spent on nuclear, and the money that will have to be spent on decommissioning, even if we did get a few bombs out of it..

You are innacurate and off topic. I responded directly to EJB's comment on fishers use of wind farm electricity.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • EJB
    EJB Posts: 9 Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    I take it that was a verbal statement by the salesman??

Yes it was. One of many!
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you for your comments.
    They have confirmed all my initial reactions.
    After reading the blurbs and listening to a presentation it was obviously designed to be closed in one visit.
    Very scary to think what could have happened if myself and my better half were not there!

She now has a sensible choice of local estimates to upgrade the gas CH...below £4k.

PS. The quote was for full installation and removal of all the gas CH system.
    Ypu have made the right choice IMHO, good luck with the upgrade.
    Interesting claim, I would like to know how the fischer heater is able to filter out the wind farm generated electricity from all the other sources in the grid. I'm sure a few people who are committed to renewables would like to get their hands on that technology. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback