Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scotchmum7485
    • By Scotchmum7485 13th Aug 17, 1:10 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Scotchmum7485
    ESA please help
    • 13th Aug 17, 1:10 AM
    ESA please help 13th Aug 17 at 1:10 AM
    Hi all
    New here and need advice
    I started my esa claim in April 2016 after a bad relationship breakdown left me with severe depression and anxiety and a load of debt!

Didn't get my medical assessment till 30 may 2017 which I failed not so surprising after reading some posts on this forum. Whilst doing my mandatory reconsideration I had to claim jsa.
    I received a letter today saying I had been put in a support group.
    Do I need to sign off jsa or will I automatically be put back onto esa!?
    And will I get backdated money !?
    Any help and advice will be really appreciated and thanks in advance
Page 1
    • UKTigerlily
    • By UKTigerlily 13th Aug 17, 1:47 AM
    • 4,309 Posts
    • 5,368 Thanks
    UKTigerlily
    • 13th Aug 17, 1:47 AM
    • 13th Aug 17, 1:47 AM
    Hi, if you've been put in the Support group, you're now on ESA & would have to end the JSA claim; I don't know if they will automatically end the JSA but you'd maybe be best to check. I thought ESA was still paid during an MR, but if not then it probably would be backdated
    Someone will be along soon who knows more x
    2015 weight loss: 86/100Ibs
    • Scotchmum7485
    • By Scotchmum7485 13th Aug 17, 3:02 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Scotchmum7485
    • 13th Aug 17, 3:02 AM
    • 13th Aug 17, 3:02 AM
    No they instantly stopped my esa as soon as they decided I failed my assessment and I was told to claim jsa.
    All they've done is cause more stress and anxiety.
    I don't even know what support group means nothing is well explained in there letters hence why I had to join this forum. Thanks so much for replying to me tho x
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 13th Aug 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 13th Aug 17, 1:30 PM
    • 13th Aug 17, 1:30 PM
    Have you been working on resolving your issues since last year, you've split up a while ago now so it would be a shame if its still preventing you from being able to work. Im assuming your mental health was fine before your split.

Have you taken any steps to tackle it?
    • Scotchmum7485
    • By Scotchmum7485 13th Aug 17, 1:42 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Scotchmum7485
    • 13th Aug 17, 1:42 PM
    • 13th Aug 17, 1:42 PM
    I have a Cpn but I had to wait 10 months on a waiting list for that too.
    Don't think Dwp realise the amount of stress and anxiety all this causes people
    I've always worked till this happened and now I'm completely clueless on what to do what a support group is and many other things
    X
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Aug 17, 1:50 PM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,228 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Aug 17, 1:50 PM
    • 13th Aug 17, 1:50 PM
    As other posters have said, as you are allocated to the support group that means you are now on ESA. I don't know whether you have to sign off JSA, you'd like to hope the systems are joined up but I wouldn't bet on it.

I found this from Citizens Advice on ESA and groups, if it doesn't answwer your questions it might be worth trying to get an appointment at CA to get them to explain things to you.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/while-youre-getting-esa/about-the-esa-groups/
    • Scotchmum7485
    • By Scotchmum7485 13th Aug 17, 1:52 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Scotchmum7485
    • 13th Aug 17, 1:52 PM
    • 13th Aug 17, 1:52 PM
    Thank you so much I really appreciate that x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

452Posts Today

4,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin