Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • humblepaperclip
    • By humblepaperclip 12th Aug 17, 4:43 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    humblepaperclip
    Some advice needed please
    • 12th Aug 17, 4:43 PM
    Some advice needed please 12th Aug 17 at 4:43 PM
    Hi everyone,
    I graduated earlier this year with a Masters in Chemistry and no idea what to do with my life. I saw an ad for a temporary lab assistant which I thought would be perfect - 'real world' lab experience for my CV, a chance to think about what I wanted from life and some money in the bank - so I applied. At the interview they asked if I would be happy to help out in the office too at busy times, which I said would be fine - no harm in learning a few new skills. Fast forward a couple of months (they advertised super early) and I have just finished my first week. On my first day I went into the lab ready for training (along with two other newbies) but was quickly ushered to the offices where I was introduced to the office staff and given a desk. I have spent the rest of the week at said desk doing all the jobs nobody else wants to do - hand copying lab data, folding letters and putting into envelopes, checking transfers between sites match up - and I am bored out of my mind. I had to sign some health and safety stuff yesterday and noticed that my position was listed as 'admin assistant' so I asked the woman who hired me if I would be in the lab at all and was told I would do some work in the other office later and that everyone would have to muck in in different positions as the season got busy.
    So basically I am now doing a job I didn't apply for and gaining no relevant experience for minimum wage (and in the coming weeks will be working 60+ hours a week in said role) so I'm a little frustrated. But the bigger issue is that I currently have applications in for other roles (long term positions that I'm genuinely excited about) and there are other positions which I would like to apply for - but I won't be able to attend interviews and I don't know where I stand with leaving my current role if I did manage to secure a position. It is temporary, but I have no definite finish date. I have not signed a written contract, and the job I accepted (lab assistant) is different from the job I'm doing (admin assistant) - but I believe by doing the work I am effectively agreeing to the role and thus in an employment contract. I wouldn't be looking to leave unless I secured something else anyway, but any advice on my current situation would be greatly appreciated so I have an idea of my options.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 12th Aug 17, 7:09 PM
    • 4,881 Posts
    • 6,110 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 12th Aug 17, 7:09 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 7:09 PM
    Good luck with your future applications! Your current employer would have to be fairly dim not to expect you to be applying for permanent jobs, and ones which are better suited to your skills. I would say work hard and well while you are there, but don't sacrifice your future career by not attending interviews.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Aug 17, 7:14 PM
    • 15,162 Posts
    • 38,000 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Aug 17, 7:14 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 7:14 PM
    So when you noticed your position was listed as admin assistant, did you not query it as not being the job you accepted? Was there not an offer letter with the position stated on it?
    The longer you leave asking about it, the more likely it is you will continue to be dumped with the jobs no one else wants.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 12th Aug 17, 8:01 PM
    • 3,944 Posts
    • 4,279 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 12th Aug 17, 8:01 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 8:01 PM
    I have not signed a written contract, and the job I accepted (lab assistant) is different from the job I'm doing (admin assistant)
    Originally posted by humblepaperclip
    They've stitched you up giving you a job that was obviously more necessary for the company than lab assistant. Personally speaking I would have left after a week of that, but when I was a graduate a fair long time ago, I was in the lucky position of no rent and 3 job offers. Only you know your situation.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 12th Aug 17, 8:18 PM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 1,503 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 12th Aug 17, 8:18 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 8:18 PM
    Just perhaps they are still waiting for checks to come through and that's why for the moment you are 'lower graded'. Along with the reason they have given of it being busy. You could be just covering holiday time in the office in reality, given the time of year or maybe in between you starting they lost someone else or you didn't display what they needed under first impressions on first day, it could be anything really.

Under 4 weeks it is no notice to leave, after that you need to follow statutory guidelines on direct.gov - if receiving nothing else.

Under 2 years you have no real protection anyway while I'll hope you have someone who will listen, there is nothing you can do when you arrive to a job to find position changed except decide to suck it up or decide to leave if you've other opportunities greater calling. Nobody thanks anybody for sicking in what feels an unsuitable role. It might just sway your way and maybe in time you can arrange holiday for the days you have interviews coming up if you can't risk walking away.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 12th Aug 17, 8:28 PM
    • 5,544 Posts
    • 27,432 Thanks
    bugslet
    • 12th Aug 17, 8:28 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 8:28 PM
    I'd go to HR and say that because the job you were told you would be doing, lab assistant , you are not, and your job is now listed as admin assistant, you will need the following days off to attend interviews for lab assistant.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 13th Aug 17, 8:03 AM
    • 3,802 Posts
    • 6,217 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 13th Aug 17, 8:03 AM
    • 13th Aug 17, 8:03 AM
    I'd go to HR and say that because the job you were told you would be doing, lab assistant , you are not, and your job is now listed as admin assistant, you will need the following days off to attend interviews for lab assistant.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    I wouldn't suggest being quite so confrontational - your always intended the job to be temporary anyway. You said as much yourself - it was advertised as such, and you took it because it would be useful experience whilst you decided what to do with your life. Since that is the case, then treat it like that!

When you want to attend interviews, then you book a days (or a half days) leave, just like anyone else would do. Whether you tell them that is for an interview is up to you. Leave is your personal business, and you aren't required to explain to anyone.

As for the current job, do as elsien suggests. Speak to your manager, point out that this was not the role that you signed up for, and whilst you are happy to help out with some admin at busy period, this is not what is happening. Then, if nothing changes - and assuming that you can afford to live without claiming benefits - you quit. If you can't afford to live without benefits, then I'm afraid this would fall into the "welcome to the real world" category - you need to work, and benefits will require you to take whatever job you can, so this is as good as any.

And whilst we are on "the real world" - stuff goes wrong with employment. If this is the worst that ever happens to you, then you'll be lucky. So join a union now, and stick with unions. They are not perfect (what is?) but you have a lot to discover about the world of work, it's sometimes quite bad, and you want someone on your side if the worst happens. Then you aren't left having to sort through your problems on your own.
    Last edited by sangie595; 13-08-2017 at 8:05 AM.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 13th Aug 17, 12:39 PM
    • 4,881 Posts
    • 6,110 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 13th Aug 17, 12:39 PM
    • 13th Aug 17, 12:39 PM
    When you want to attend interviews, then you book a days (or a half days) leave, just like anyone else would do. Whether you tell them that is for an interview is up to you. Leave is your personal business, and you aren't required to explain to anyone.
    Originally posted by sangie595
    The question is what to do if the leave is refused because they are busy. Personally, I would incline to be honest about interviewing for a much better and hopefully permanent job, and that you are not going to risk your career for their admin. The worst they could do to you is sack you (which is fairly unlikely as they need the work doing. Could you afford to survive without this job?) or decide that it is a reason to keep you on admmin and not make any effort to move you to lab work.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 13th Aug 17, 2:30 PM
    • 3,802 Posts
    • 6,217 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 13th Aug 17, 2:30 PM
    • 13th Aug 17, 2:30 PM
    The question is what to do if the leave is refused because they are busy. Personally, I would incline to be honest about interviewing for a much better and hopefully permanent job, and that you are not going to risk your career for their admin. The worst they could do to you is sack you (which is fairly unlikely as they need the work doing. Could you afford to survive without this job?) or decide that it is a reason to keep you on admmin and not make any effort to move you to lab work.
    Originally posted by theoretica
    Well we don't know it will be refused, so that is just speculation. But if it is then the OP will, as you point out, have to decide whether they are going anyway, or not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

452Posts Today

4,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin