Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Drbhollens
    • By Drbhollens 11th Aug 17, 12:23 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Drbhollens
    CSA Help!
    • 11th Aug 17, 12:23 PM
    CSA Help! 11th Aug 17 at 12:23 PM
    Hi,
    My ex partner and I had a daughter 12 years ago. We have been separated since and I do not have any contact with my ex or our daughter. My ex got married a year or two ago. In June this year, she applied to the Child maintenance service regarding our daughter. She had not contacted the service before this. Please can you confirm the following-
    (1) That as the claim was not applied for until June this year, it cannot be 'back dated'. ( I have been informed it cannot but would like confirmation please.)
    (2) That as she is now married, I am not financially responsible for our daughter? (Again, I have been informed that I am not but am seeking clarification on this please.)

Thank you
Page 1
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 11th Aug 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    • 11th Aug 17, 12:34 PM
    • 11th Aug 17, 12:34 PM
    I don't think your ex remarrying has any impact on your financial responsibility for your daughter. You are still required to pay regardless of her relationship status

the first point I don't know the answer to
    2017 resolutions.

Pay £11,500 off the mortgage in overpayments
    Lose 30lb in weight
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 11th Aug 17, 12:49 PM
    • 10,693 Posts
    • 6,982 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 11th Aug 17, 12:49 PM
    • 11th Aug 17, 12:49 PM
    (1) That as the claim was not applied for until June this year, it cannot be 'back dated'. ( I have been informed it cannot but would like confirmation please.)
    (2) That as she is now married, I am not financially responsible for our daughter? (Again, I have been informed that I am not but am seeking clarification on this please.)
    Originally posted by Drbhollens
    1) if never contacted them before then correct
    2) incorrect - you are liable for maintenance unless the child is adopted by the new partner

Have you been paying under a private arrangement until now?
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 11th Aug 17, 12:52 PM
    • 1,183 Posts
    • 3,054 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 11th Aug 17, 12:52 PM
    • 11th Aug 17, 12:52 PM
    Yep maintenance only can be paid from the date that the parent got in touch with the CSA/CMS or whatever they are calling themselves these days.

Your partner re-marrying has no impact on the maintenance you have to pay.
    Hiraeth
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 11th Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    • 14,627 Posts
    • 14,351 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 11th Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    • 11th Aug 17, 1:05 PM
    Hi,
    My ex partner and I had a daughter 12 years ago. We have been separated since and I do not have any contact with my ex or our daughter. My ex got married a year or two ago. In June this year, she applied to the Child maintenance service regarding our daughter. She had not contacted the service before this. Please can you confirm the following-

Thank you
    Originally posted by Drbhollens
    Really? You think that's how it works?!

No, that's not true, now pay up what you owe
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,585Posts Today

8,561Users online

Martin's Twitter