Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chrisotherwise
    • By chrisotherwise 11th Aug 17, 11:41 AM
    • 43Posts
    • 51Thanks
    chrisotherwise
    Heating oil for Aga - Confused novice
    • 11th Aug 17, 11:41 AM
    Heating oil for Aga - Confused novice 11th Aug 17 at 11:41 AM
    I've just moved into a house that has an oil-fired Aga and need to buy some oil for it. I'm finding the range of options for oil very confusing. There seems to be:

- Standard Kerosene
    - Premium Kerosene
    - Glowmax (Seems to be specific to one manufacturer).

Also seems that you can buy several different types of additive to make the oil work better with Agas - although none of them state whether you should add the additive to Standard or Premium Kerosene.

Can anybody advise on which Kerosene I should buy, and which additive (if any) they recommend. I just want to keep the thing working at a reasonable price.

Many thanks!
Page 1
    • J B
    • By J B 11th Aug 17, 9:23 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    J B
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:23 PM
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:23 PM
    Well, if you want the MSE choice, then just simple standard kero will be just fine without any additives.

We don't use oil, but live quite rurally so know plenty who do and have never heard of posh kero or any additives to go in it.

Maybe your plumber could advice properly - has the aga been checked/tested before you moved in?
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 12th Aug 17, 10:01 AM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 1,896 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 12th Aug 17, 10:01 AM
    • 12th Aug 17, 10:01 AM
    You could ask AGA - they should know what's best for their product.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Aug 17, 10:33 PM
    • 23,686 Posts
    • 89,658 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th Aug 17, 10:33 PM
    • 17th Aug 17, 10:33 PM
    Advice might be different if its a converted Aga or one built for oil from the start. Some use pressurised burners and others don't.

With our converted, gravity-fed 1950/60s Aga, we burned ordinary kerosene and had no issues at all.

However, it was an inefficient way to heat the house and water, so we sold it after 6 years.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • chrisotherwise
    • By chrisotherwise 18th Aug 17, 10:52 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    chrisotherwise
    • 18th Aug 17, 10:52 AM
    • 18th Aug 17, 10:52 AM
    Thanks for the advice. It would seem that it varies from aga to aga and supplier to supplier. I've found a supplier that is confident that their "standard" kerosene will work with agas. They'll happily charge me extra if I'd like some additive put in but they say it'll be fine without.
    • FabFifty
    • By FabFifty 18th Aug 17, 11:40 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    FabFifty
    • 18th Aug 17, 11:40 AM
    • 18th Aug 17, 11:40 AM
    Save further money by joining a local heating oil syndicate.
    • fuelz
    • By fuelz 19th Nov 17, 6:24 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    fuelz
    • 19th Nov 17, 6:24 PM
    • 19th Nov 17, 6:24 PM
    There's a great group on Facebook called "I love my aga" with lots of advice.

Definitely shop around for Oil prices and if there's a good buying group near-by then get involved.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

2,738Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin