Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hryszko
    • By Hryszko 11th Aug 17, 9:36 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hryszko
    Applying for loans, being accepted..
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:36 AM
    Applying for loans, being accepted.. 11th Aug 17 at 9:36 AM
    Bit of a probably self explanatory question but I am not the best when it comes to the legal side of it all etc.

I applied for a personal loan and also applied for car finance to see which was going to be the most viable option for me, got approved and accepted on both at a fairly decent interest rate. (4.5% & 5.1%)

I have since decided to not take either of those loans/finance deals and just buy a little run about for the next 5-6 months. How much will that have affected my credit score/history? By getting approved one and not accepting or taking any money etc.

Thanks guys.
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 11th Aug 17, 9:39 AM
    • 4,143 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:39 AM
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:39 AM
    It will just be a hit to your searches which will show for six months and might make it more difficult during this term to get credit at rates you want
    • Hryszko
    • By Hryszko 11th Aug 17, 9:44 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hryszko
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:44 AM
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:44 AM
    Okay so it's not quite as bad as first thought, how long do the searches stay on your account for?

And if you were to apply for a loan and get declined, how long does that stay on your account for?
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 11th Aug 17, 10:28 AM
    • 2,345 Posts
    • 1,776 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 11th Aug 17, 10:28 AM
    • 11th Aug 17, 10:28 AM
    Experian keep all searches for 1 year.
    Equifax keep all searches for 1 year.
    Call Credit keep all searches for 2 years.

It doesn't matter whether you apply for something and get declined, all that is recorded is a hard search. Same way you've had 2 done and been accepted for them - there is no difference from being declined, in fact it would probably look more likely that you were declined because obviously the accounts won't be opened in the next month or so.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,623Posts Today

7,315Users online

Martin's Twitter