Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    • 5,823Posts
    • 19,626Thanks
    missymoo81
    Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary
    • 10th Aug 17, 4:56 PM
    Missy's spend £10 a week on groceries get the house sorted & hit this debt hard diary 10th Aug 17 at 4:56 PM
    Right debts are at an all time high! House is an all time mess!!!!! I'm going to put the two credit cards onto a single 0% card (hopefully) and try and pay it all off in 2 years! Which means hefty payments of £340 a month!! I CAN do it.
    And to get me started I am going to spend only £10 per week on shopping for the next 6 weeks!!!!! OH is away working so it's just me DD 4yr old May and DS 5yr old Roo to feed.

I have MASSES of food in all cupboards, freezers and fridge!

Along side this I need to get the house sorted, img my house is a mess, just stuff everywhere, Everything needs a good clean and a good declutter!

So who's with me?!

Will write a meal plan and shopping list for Monday later! And to keep myself accountable I will update daily!

Much love

Missy
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 8:02 AM.
Page 2
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 11th Aug 17, 10:15 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Get the bag of eBay things listed Every penny helps

You're doing amazing and I've subscribed so I can follow
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    Aw thanks chickie, really helps having people encouraging from the sidelines. X
    • Kittychick
    • By Kittychick 11th Aug 17, 11:14 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 469 Thanks
    Kittychick
    Just subscribed.. I find if, more likely, when we are having a tight month the food budget is where we can generally pull it back the most. This month we are going on holiday and i'm trying to spend as little as poss to add a bit more to the holiday spends kitty... 3 no spend days, and at least another 3 in next 12 days... Subscribing and looking forward to seeing how you get on x
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 1:09 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thanks kittychick, lovely to see you.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 7:11 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Day 2

Morning! Gosh I can talk, page 2 already

Couldn't sleep last night as bad so many thoughts in my head! Rather tired this morning! But onwards and upwards. Ok important jobs for today.
    Pick apples before they all fall off!
    Apply for CC
    Apply for tax refund to go in bank
    Put clean washing away!
    Wash bedding
    Change all beds
    More washing!
    Tidy kitchen, it's so messy it's not even funny!

Food for today will be:
    Breakfast
    Tea and cereal for small ones with banana and apple
    Tea and toast for me
    Lunch
    Sandwiches for small ones
    Chia pudding for me and protein shake
    Dinner
    HM pizza for dinner.

Having to think long and hard about what I'm eating rather than just grabbing something and gobbling it up. As it could always be used in a meal.

The case of the missing toothbrush continues! I can understand where it has got to!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 7:14 AM.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 7:55 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Gosh this takes a lot of organisation. I have taken to counting slices of bread and biscuits in packets to see how long they will last

Have checked and I don't think I have enough marg to last the week so going to cut out mince and make a veggie Bolognese with lentils that I have loads of instead. Not sure how it will be but we shall see! Maybe if it's done in the slow cooker it will be tastier. That's a job for next week. Will post amended shopping list in a bit. Need another coffee first!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 8:31 AM.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 12th Aug 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 3,062 Thanks
    louby40
    If you can't be bothered with EBay and you use Facebook- use the local free selling sites on there. Much easier - and cheaper than eBay.

I've sold tons of stuff via Facebook- a shoe cupboard, tumble dryer, DVD player and speakers, 2 kids portable DVD players and a table and 4 chairs - all collected by they people that bought them. I even delivered the DVD players for an extra £3 petrol money. Ebay is such a faff and they charge so much now in fees.

Take some photos and get posting!!
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £730/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600 Car maintenance £0/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 OCT £10,493. 18% paid off
    Barclaycard £300
    Car loan £2890 Mortgage £95,415
    TOTAL DEBT = £109,098
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 8:09 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Thanks Louby, great idea but not on Facebook! I know, probably the only person in the world! But I have sold on gumtree, so will try that along side. It's mostly clothes to be honest. It just takes so long to photograph and then post. But my aim is to do ten things by the time the weekend is over.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 12th Aug 17, 8:14 AM
    • 4,106 Posts
    • 22,132 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Gosh this takes a lot of organisation. I have taken to counting slices of bread and biscuits in packets to see how long they will last

Have checked and I don't think I have enough marg to last the week so going to cut out mince and make a veggie Bolognese with lentils instead. Not sure how it will be but we shall see! Maybe if it's done in the slow cooker it will be tastier. That's a job for next week. Will post amended shopping list in a bit. Need another coffee first!
    Originally posted by missymoo81
    Following you on your journey.....

You sound very organised - my house is also a mess and I hate it but I still don't do much about it!!

With the veggie Bolognese I find doing it in a saucepan is best but to get some added taste I add a squirt of BBQ sauce/HP sauce/balsamic vinegar - can you tell I just grab condiments from the cupboard and chuck it in
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 33 for October
    NSD - 0/18
    (up to 01/10/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 8:24 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hi EE! Thanks so much for stopping by! Oooh thank you for the tip on the Bolognese! I guess it would taste nicer with the onions fried off first. Will def try your condiment suggestion!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 9:14 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Ah ok this is going to be harder than I thought. Have run out of fresh milk. Have 1litre of oat milk but that won't last too long. So small ones will be having toast instead of cereal today. Just counted the slices of bread, yes it has got to that point. There are 23 slices, so 7 will be used For breakfast 4 for lunch, which leaves me 12, so 11 again tomorrow and cereal hopefully on Monday.
    Have also just realised guests gobbled up quite a few biscuits yesterday! The little ones have a biscuit every morning with their tea, so need to make sure I have 14 of them, as didn't intend on buying them this week!!!!! Also have run out of marmite!!!!!!!!!!!! This is major! I eat it daily! I buy the cheaper Tesco version but still!!!!! I need to cut this weeks budget somehow to make room for that! Does anyone know if aldi sell their own brand of it? This is so much harder than I thought!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Aug 17, 10:29 AM
    • 392 Posts
    • 2,008 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Have you checked for things like teabags too? Washing powder etc. What dry goods do you have? If you have rice then you can make rice milk for example. Have you got chickpeas and oil? Can make suggestions if we have a better idea of stores.

Can you swap the fresh veg for a big bag of mixed frozen to free up a little more cash?

Could you add some grated carrot to the lentils for the bolognese? Also applies if you manage to stretch to the mince.

I'd be freezing the fruit to use after 23rd rather than tie the sugar up in jam, or if no freezer could you stew some of the fruit to eat for breakfasts as it uses less sugar.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Aug 17, 10:37 AM
    • 392 Posts
    • 2,008 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Also for ideas have a look here:

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org/
    Meal planners to Feed family of 4 for £100 a week

thriftylesley.com has some great £1 a day meal planners too but the site is down at the moment
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 11:50 AM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey redofromstart. Thanks so much for popping in again, and thank you for the good advice. I have enough, tea, washing powder, shampoo etc to last me probably a year or two so I'm ok there. And thank you for the ideas re milk. I have some rice but not over amounts. I have tried making all sorts of milk from my vegan days, but they split I find, and the children won't drink them in their tea (Hot milk) in the morning. I should be ok with just the oat milk for now. They can have cheese in their sandwiches and I have a few yogurt tubes i will give them today and tomorrow to make up for the lack of milk calcium/fat wise.

I like your thoughts on stewing the fruit. its just the plums I am going to make jam out of, its because it is my childrens favourite, and I make it every year and I really want to make it, but I see your point. So I will open freeze the blackberries ready for pies and to top porridge etc. And I am going to have a look at the windfall apples and see if any can be saved and stewed ready for winter pies! It is the first year we have got a good crop of fruit from the garden and we have been eating and squirrelling away in the freezer since May. The apples from the tree I will actually pick and store, there are only about 20-30 but should last us about 2 weeks, and saves me buying any.

I'm only going to buy fresh carrots, the broccoli i will buy frozen, and the peas thanks for the thought.

Todays update: I have had toast and tea and the small ones have had their breakfast of toast and fruit. I forgot how hungry I am all of the time, and 2-3 pieces of toast isn't really enough to sustain me, so I have had 2 pieces of toast and a frozen banana protein shake, which has filled the gap!

Have spent 2.5 hours cleaning! Have managed to strip my bed, wash bedding, and it is now hanging on the line! DW is now on, and second load is waiting to go on in the WM. I've washed up the pans, tidied toys, cleaned the sink, wiped all the sides and tidied the lounge.

In other news. Next door came round to borrow a ladder, and has brought round 2 huge buckets of pears in return?! I'm so grateful! Now, any ideas what to do with them? Will see if I can do a little research into storing them, as I usually buy a couple of packs a week,as the small ones like eating them fresh. I will definite stew some for crumbles etc too.

Also super pleased, I looked in the freezer and found I had already got some peas! So no need to buy any, i have some porridge oats, not tons but enough so that we don't need to buy any more this week. I have also found some value bleach I have been avoiding using, as I'm lazy and it means I actually have to scrub the toilet with it as its thin bleach, as I just leave the thick bleach to do its magic!!! so shouldn't need bleach either..... so may be able to afford my only vice of marmite . When i put the oven on for pizza later, I'm going to also make some rolls and roast some veg that is lurking in the fridge to make soup. Oh and I found meat balls and shep pie mix, that I had made and frozen!!!! So easy dinners too! Crazy what is in my freezer that I don't even know about!

Still need to put washing away, and strip small ones beds and wash. Going to hoover later and clean the bathrooms and toilets honestly with a 5 year old boy, who, lets say has a slight problem with his aim, makes cleaning the toilets my least favourite job, and we have 3 of the things to clean!!!!

Right going to finish my smoothie, make a cuppa, and log into the tax office thing to make sure they pay my rebate soonest!!

Thanks for reading
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 11:54 AM.
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 12:15 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Bananas x 10 120
    Bread x 3 105
    Beans 23
    Carrots 42
    Passata 35
    Tomatoes 29
    Frozen Broccoli 89
    Sugar 59
    Milk 145
    Marg 69
    Yeast extract 190
    Hair mousse 100

Higher than I'd like,but will use the contingency for the 6p! There was me saying have enough shampoo etc for years! Yep but obviously not hair mousse! Actually feeling really selfish that my marmite is so expensive!!!!!! Wondering if I can wean myself off it. I have tons of peanut butter I can have instead... Will think
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 8:33 PM.
    • louby40
    • By louby40 12th Aug 17, 12:17 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 3,062 Thanks
    louby40
    Big boys aren't much better I can tell you my DS is 14 and still needs to improve his aim lol
    Parent loan PAID IN FULL Sealed Pot Challenge 10 #572
    Emergency fund £730/£1000. Christmas savings £400/£600 Car maintenance £0/600
    Kitchen July £12,493 OCT £10,493. 18% paid off
    Barclaycard £300
    Car loan £2890 Mortgage £95,415
    TOTAL DEBT = £109,098
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 12:22 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Big boys aren't much better I can tell you my DS is 14 and still needs to improve his aim lol
    Originally posted by louby40
    A ha ha! Yes thinking about it, I don't think OH is much better
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 12:24 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    The case of the missing toothbrush is now solved. It was in the pocket of OH's rucksack. Obviously?! No idea! But it's found, it's charging and I have found a new head for it so that's £37 saved from next months budget! For not needing to buy a new one!
    Last edited by missymoo81; 12-08-2017 at 12:32 PM.
    • AlwaysHappy
    • By AlwaysHappy 12th Aug 17, 12:45 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 11,713 Thanks
    AlwaysHappy
    Just popping in to say hello, you are doing incredibly well and I shall be subscribing as the one real area I need to cut down on is our food bill. I have done an inventory of the freezer and there are enough meal bases for the whole month, so why oh why am I always over budget?? I am hoping that your enthusiasm is catching....
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 1:21 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey AlwaysHappy. At least it's not just me, some weeks I was spending £100. It's no wonder my cupboards and freezer are so full!!! You can share my enthusiasm if you want . Although I was embarrassingly happy when I found peas AND shepherds pie in the freezer! T'is a little bit addictive!
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 12th Aug 17, 1:34 PM
    • 5,823 Posts
    • 19,626 Thanks
    missymoo81
    have just applied for my tax return, a bit of a palaver to set up a gateway thingy, but done and worth it for £252. Think I might change what I do with this money. I think instead of paying it off the CC I will put it in a different pot and save it to pay for xmas. Rather than paying it off and borrowing more back! Just had a shower and eating lunch now, so will then tackle clothes when finished.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin